Dash cam recently bought

mgsontour

Hi all

I dunno if it will interest many but if it helps someone it's worth a few moments to type:

I've spent a considerable time researching dash cams following an accident that would have been messy to conclude in my favour if it wasn't for the fact the other driver admitted to myself, truck driver and the coppers it was her fault.

Anyhow, I opted for one by a decent manufacturer  ' garmin mini 2' a tiny little thing that does exactly what you need and has never flickered since buying it, really easy to setup and great quality pictures stored onto a SD card all for the price of £90 and with the price of pheasants this year is fantastic value compared to shooting

It may save/make one of you £thousands if you get hit

I have one in my work van courtesy of my employers insurance company. Initially,i was sceptical about it being worthwhile but last year a cyclist decided to run in the side of me while turning into a carpark in Norwich.

The footage clearly showed i did not cause or was responsible for the accident and my employer couldn't take it any further. No idea why the idiot decided to speed up to warp 7, bump up a kerb, ignore broken white lines (which mean give way) and deliberately plough into the side of a Ford Transit.

The video clearly showed the broken white lines which as i said mean give way and he didn't. Have to add the cam records front & back.

I have one also .the key to it is, in  any  accident don't shout about how you have a dash cam and its all been recorded .your " opponent "  can request access to the footage and you may find you are to blame in whole or part .in which case your dash cam can work against you .be sure that your 100 % clear before you go announcing you have the whole incident on tape .

I had a near incident on Monday running the eldest to work - going along on a 50mph road at about 45 (having not long left a 30) and I saw a walker (mini backpack etc) coming up a side lane towards the road - and he just carried on walking out - I had to do an emergency stop and blared my horn with a few choice words - the idiot just blanked me as if he had every right under the sun. I was hoping to see him on the way back but he was nowhere in site 😞

I personally blame a complete misunderstanding of these new highway code changes.

But I am thinking that with these changes it would be prudent to fit a camera - but one that is very obscure....

11 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Had one for the last few years. Very little outlay for a potentially substantial benefit.

:good:

I find mine a daily benefit having also a rear camera. Quite entertaining when there's two in the idiot tailgating car behind. Usually, the passenger will point having spotted the "smile you're on...." sticker and then the camera whereupon it's as if you've accelerated to mach2 as the gap between you opens up. Saves the inconvenience of having to take the correct action.

On 19/04/2022 at 16:49, mgsontour said:

Hi all

I dunno if it will interest many but if it helps someone it's worth a few moments to type:

I've spent a considerable time researching dash cams following an accident that would have been messy to conclude in my favour if it wasn't for the fact the other driver admitted to myself, truck driver and the coppers it was her fault.

Anyhow, I opted for one by a decent manufacturer  ' garmin mini 2' a tiny little thing that does exactly what you need and has never flickered since buying it, really easy to setup and great quality pictures stored onto a SD card all for the price of £90 and with the price of pheasants this year is fantastic value compared to shooting

It may save/make one of you £thousands if you get hit

That’s good to know, have been toying with the idea for a year or so now but never too sure which model to get, so thanks for the heads up. 
Any route out of the village includes lengthy sections of single track roads and blind bends frequented by every mode of transport you can think of ( most of whom don’t know how to reverse incidentally ) and I’ve had a few close shaves. 
Will get on it. 👍

On 19/04/2022 at 17:43, Ultrastu said:

I have one also .the key to it is, in  any  accident don't shout about how you have a dash cam and its all been recorded .your " opponent "  can request access to the footage and you may find you are to blame in whole or part .in which case your dash cam can work against you .be sure that your 100 % clear before you go announcing you have the whole incident on tape .

100%  the information is yours and yours to use,

On 22/04/2022 at 16:46, Scully said:

That’s good to know, have been toying with the idea for a year or so now but never too sure which model to get, so thanks for the heads up. 
Any route out of the village includes lengthy sections of single track roads and blind bends frequented by every mode of transport you can think of ( most of whom don’t know how to reverse incidentally ) and I’ve had a few close shaves. 
Will get on it. 👍

As I said I did a lot of research and this one is tiny and does the job. Non of them come with a micro SD card which you will need so see if a retailer will do you a deal to buy both together but make sure it's a well known decent brand card because if you just search online there are some very cheap nasty ones which kind of defeats the object of having one in the 1st place. Owt your unsure about; just ask

12 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

How do you power these things up? I really wouldn't have a clue 😕 

take it from the car.

I have heard of some that can flatten the battery if connected to permanent live in the car when left for a period. However, some camera's also have a "park" function that comes on after a bump of the car is detected and you may be able to get a license number of the offending vehicle although I think this would be doubtful in a lot of places due to the tightness between rows of parking (gotta get that extra row of cars in!!)

On 20/04/2022 at 09:23, discobob said:

I had a near incident on Monday running the eldest to work - going along on a 50mph road at about 45 (having not long left a 30) and I saw a walker (mini backpack etc) coming up a side lane towards the road - and he just carried on walking out - I had to do an emergency stop and blared my horn with a few choice words - the idiot just blanked me as if he had every right under the sun. I was hoping to see him on the way back but he was nowhere in site 😞

I personally blame a complete misunderstanding of these new highway code changes.

But I am thinking that with these changes it would be prudent to fit a camera - but one that is very obscure....

The trouble is they DO have the right if way now in a lot of situations.

Its scary.

I had a similar, if not so dramatic. incident with a kamakasi cyclist who decided to overtake a parked car, 

Edited by Vince Green

Just now, Vince Green said:

The trouble is they DO have the right if way now. Its scary. I had a similar if not so dramatic incident with a kamakasi cyclist, 

Only on a junction that you are turning into - not on a straight road as this one was - they also do on the exit's of roundabouts - now that is scary!! Entry isn't too bad and I would previously have given way to a pedestrian there.

We have a roundabout by us that if clear going onto it you can be doing full speed (40 I think) while having to keep an eye out for idiots turning right by going all the way round the roundabout in the outside lane, and idiots cutting across you, to also keep an eye out on if there is a pedestrian wanting to cross 😞

3 hours ago, discobob said:

take it from the car.

Even with that highly detailed explanation I still wouldn't be able to wire it up 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 sorry discobob I couldn't resist it 😉 

Unless it's plugged into the fag lighter then I wouldn't be sure how to wire it up.

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Even with that highly detailed explanation I still wouldn't be able to wire it up 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 sorry discobob I couldn't resist it 😉 

Unless it's plugged into the fag lighter then I wouldn't be sure how to wire it up.

None taken :)  - see if there is a forum on FB or t'internet for your car - and have a look on there - there is switched live which is only live when the car ignition is on (plus a couple of minutes when switched to off) and there is permanent earth that runs all the time - with the car on or off.

Some people have luck with taken it from the interior light - others take it from a fuse panel somewhere in drivers or passengers footwell - and hide the cable under the roof/column lining.

3 hours ago, discobob said:

We have a roundabout by us that if clear going onto it you can be doing full speed (40 I think) while having to keep an eye out for idiots turning right by going all the way round the roundabout in the outside lane,

No you can't!  If you're going into a roundabout at a velocity where you're unable to stop in time if somebody pulls out on you - that's on you.  You have to give priority to vehicles already on the roundabout, even if they're in the 'wrong' lane.

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

In which case, go with that option.  They're usually USB powered*, and come with a fag lighter to USB A adaptor.  Hard-wiring by finding a spare ignition-on circuit is a possibility, but is definitely not to be tackled if you're uncomfortable with autoelectrickery.

*Annoyingly, often in my experience, USB Mini - same as Sat Navs used to be, and Not USB Micro (phones).

22 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

No you can't!  If you're going into a roundabout at a velocity where you're unable to stop in time if somebody pulls out on you - that's on you.  You have to give priority to vehicles already on the roundabout, even if they're in the 'wrong' lane.

Oh - I know you do - hence my statement about keeping an eye out for someone doing that I didn't say anything about being unable to stop - in the example given it is two lane exit - you can be in the right lane on the roundabout to exit onto the right lane of the dual carraigeway - but that car that is in the left lane (on the roundabout) then doesn't go off into the left lane but continues going round and ends up directly in front of you!!

Or your exiting on the left lane and a car comes around the outside of you and cuts you off - and at that point is a point where pedestrians can be stood in a little central reservation!!

Or the third option - you stop on the exit of a roundabout for a pedestrian and some idiot rams you up the rear!!! They shouldn't - we all know that - but it will happen to people because it is the real world....

Make sure you get a heavy duty micro sd card or you will probably destroy it withing 6 months. All the read write cycles kill normal  cards. I couldn't figure out why my branded bought from a reputiable source would fail after a few months, well it turns out not only do they need to be quick but also heavy duty or you will find you get card errors all the time and you will be formatting them every 5 minutes. Since I got the HD version there has been no trouble. he says grasping for some wood!

I drove with camera and telemetry data recording for many years as well as in my old job, having a body cam as soon as they became available.

They latter has saved me from litigation and or sacking/formal complaints a few times!

Personally I turn off the sound on the camera so it does not record what i say.... remember that even if the other person is in the wrong and you have enough time to swear a few times and sound the horn before hitting them, you probably had enough time to break or take steps to avoid them.... not always, but often.

The old saying was if you had time to hit the horn you had time to avoid.

Also if involved in a serious injury or fatal RTC, the camera WILL be seized.