Needs must....

Walker570

I needed to line up spot on the positions of dowels to connect two or three lengths of timber to add to the strength as well as gluing and this needed careful marking out.  I did not have what I know as a 'scribe' and to be honest have not used one since in school 65 years ago. Looked on the web sites and although not expensive to purchase I thought I would have a crack at making my own.  I have just had a new supply of timber from TT almost all hardwoods so I set to.  I do have a mortiser which helped with the digging out of the necessary square hole and carefully running some oak through the planner/thicknesser to fit and using a warn out stem off a drill for the 'scratcher' it has all come together very well.  I just need to modify the clamp screw with a T bar just to make it easier to turn but it doesn't require to be super tight as just enough is enough.   Proof of pudding will be in the eating as they say and I will check it out tomorrow to see if I can get a line of dowel holes all tidy like.  Lot of satisfaction in making your own if you can.

001.JPG

Edited by Walker570

Your nail is, IMHO, too far out. Strange coincidence but I also need one of these wood scribes (they are also called a "marking gauge" BTW) and bought one just two days ago at a car boot for £1.00 then saw two more on another pitch for £2.00 each. Thanks for sharing your picture. Other than the nail suggestion it looks very nice. I shall be using mine to mark out the cut line to shorten a shotgun stock for a nine year old.

Edited by enfieldspares

Wikid - It's so satisfying to make something that works using kit you have rather than buy one.

I'd have gone the easy/lazy/will do route if I had to make one with round delrin - being as I have different tools like a hobby lathe handy. :good:

Edited by Dave-G

6 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Wikid - It's so satisfying to make something that works using kit you have rather than buy one.

I'd have gone the easy/lazy/will do route if I had to make one with round delrin - being as I have different tools like a hobby lathe handy. :good:

Yes I could have lathed one no problem but Team tractor on here had given me a quantity of nice oak about the same size square required for the stem.

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, impala59 said:

If you substitute the nail with a scalpel blade you have the perfect tool for cutting leather straps. I'm not sure what its called, I am sure Mel's Lin would know

I've just asked her and she said " it's a strap cutter cutter , or draw guage" . Stragely enough,  she never uses one , she always uses a Stanley knife and carpet gripper rod 😄.

10 hours ago, mel b3 said:

I've just asked her and she said " it's a strap cutter cutter , or draw guage" . Stragely enough,  she never uses one , she always uses a Stanley knife and carpet gripper rod 😄.

I like to watch that lovely Suzie Fletcher on the repair shop getting handy with a bit of leather. She could fettle my leather strap any day 😜

4 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

I like to watch that lovely Suzie Fletcher on the repair shop getting handy with a bit of leather. She could fettle my leather strap any day 😜

Is it suzie fletcher , or the leather , that's getting you so hot under the collar ?.😁

3 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Not sure that I should answer that Mel :hmm:

If you just want something old and wrinkly that smells of leather , you're welcome to borrow my Mrs for the day . If you play your cards right , she'll sew up those holes in your socks as well 😄.

41 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

If you just want something old and wrinkly that smells of leather , you're welcome to borrow my Mrs for the day . If you play your cards right , she'll sew up those holes in your socks as well 😄.

I wonder what she says about you behind your back?    :lol:

11 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I could tell but I don't like embarrasing a friend

One of her qualities(faults 😁) that I most admired when I first met her , is her brutal honesty , she'll just look anyone in the eye , and tell them the brutal truth .  She really is a poisonous little dwarf 😄.