Sell your Farm?

51/50

Whilst everyone is being distracted by the Ukraine,party fines,yet more promises of sorting out the illegal immigrants problem etc etc,last week the Westminster chapter of the World Economic Forum snuck this out....

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apply-for-a-lump-sum-payment-to-leave-or-retire-from-farming

Offering bribes to farmers to sell up & leave the profession?,at a time of forecasted/threatened food shortages for various reasons i'd have thought it a better idea to encourage farmers to produce more not to quit & sell up,what do you think?,i have my own theories on this but shall refrain from airing them on here.

This is also potentially another nail in the coffin of shooting & conservation in the UK,i very much doubt that state owned farms (or former farms!) would require or allow any form of pest control & we all as a shooting & conservation community know the impact that would have on wildlife.

I've posted this merely as a matter of interest & gathering your views about this scheme & perhaps gain more information on it,to me it makes no logical sense whatsoever,i personally suspect alterior motives.

30 minutes ago, 51/50 said:

This is also potentially another nail in the coffin of shooting & conservation in the UK,i very much doubt that state owned farms (or former farms!) would require or allow any form of pest control & we all as a shooting & conservation community know the impact that would have on wildlife.

I regularly shoot on a council owned tenanted farm, they have the same right as any other farmer to protect their crops. 

the later “former farms” if you mean a state owned/council owned farm having a change change of use then yes I can see what you’re saying. The likely hood is that if tenancies where not renewed they’d end up bulldozed and built on with plenty of lucrative brown envelopes being involved in the process. 

as for the the link you provided I’ve not read it (but I will). I believe that the majority of farming families would rather grow and give away than roll over to the government payday, it’s in their blood and in many cases going back many generations. I just can’t see it happening on any great scale……unless of course the government have an agenda and change tact going down the compulsory purchase route. 

Nothing sneaky about it at all, it has been well publicised for a long time.

Its purpose is to encourage ageing farmers to sell up in order for the next generation to get a chance of buying some land to farm. The reasoning is sound as many old farmers don't really do a great deal to advance their farming while the younger farmers are more enthusiastic towards farming and food production.

Personally I think it is a good idea but whether it achieves its aims is yet to be seen. Can't see why it should affect shooting in any way whatsoever.

11 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

Nothing sneaky about it at all, it has been well publicised for a long time.

Its purpose is to encourage ageing farmers to sell up in order for the next generation to get a chance of buying some land to farm. The reasoning is sound as many old farmers don't really do a great deal to advance their farming while the younger farmers are more enthusiastic towards farming and food production.

Personally I think it is a good idea but whether it achieves its aims is yet to be seen. Can't see why it should affect shooting in any way whatsoever.

How does someone just getting into farming afford to buy a farm and all the machinery needed. I can't see that ever working? 

10 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

How does someone just getting into farming afford to buy a farm and all the machinery needed. I can't see that ever working? 

The theory is more farms come onto the market so someone with a small farm is able to upgrade to a bigger farm and that smaller place gets bought by a newcomer. That is very simplified but it is how it works quite often. Even more often the big farmer buys the medium sized farm to add to his collection and it gets sold before even coming onto the market.

As I said, there is no guarantee it will achieve its aim.

14 hours ago, 51/50 said:

Whilst everyone is being distracted by the Ukraine,party fines,yet more promises of sorting out the illegal immigrants problem etc etc,last week the Westminster chapter of the World Economic Forum snuck this out....

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apply-for-a-lump-sum-payment-to-leave-or-retire-from-farming

Offering bribes to farmers to sell up & leave the profession?,at a time of forecasted/threatened food shortages for various reasons i'd have thought it a better idea to encourage farmers to produce more not to quit & sell up,what do you think?,i have my own theories on this but shall refrain from airing them on here.

I've posted this merely as a matter of interest & gathering your views about this scheme & perhaps gain more information on it,to me it makes no logical sense whatsoever,i personally suspect alterior motives.

Just another illustration of how we are being destroyed economically from within?

They gave away control of our utilities as the first step, this being a continuation following on from the NHS and PFI debacles? All of that being fine when you don't have to rely on it for yourself?

Possibly more donations offshore as grist to the mill?

1 hour ago, derbyduck said:

look into TPI , they are the ones that seem to be involved in this , have a google at Transition !

Transition Pathway Initiative , 120 private investors with a fund of $40 Trillion !

I wonder if any of our front bench politicians or ex prime ministers are members of this group ?

Government buying up land for future carbon offsetting?

Net 0 by 2050 is going to need a whole boat load of trees to offset the carbon we produce and they are going to need somewhere to plant them.

I can't Imagine that the public will appreciate vast swathes of public land being taken up for carbon offsetting but dumping those rich farming families off their land for a relative pittance? Yep, very palatable to those who enjoy a spot of envy politics.

17 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

thats why many of them are rented these days. Farms are a good long term investment prospect for financial institutions and fund managers