Germs @ Bacteria.

samboy

Hi gang.

You often see adverts for disinfectants that kill 99.9% of germs @ bacteria. 

So it must be the little one that gets away that causes all the damage.

Why haven't they found something to kill that one ?. 😂

30 minutes ago, vmaxphil said:

Funny back in the 60s when I was growing up we didn't have all these products yet bodies weren't piled in the streets?

Domestos has been around since the 1920s and I'm fairly sure that Germolene, TCP and Dettol, all available pre-WW2, used to major on their antibacterial properties.

My mum swore by all of them in the 1950s.

Edited by amateur

There have been a number of 'antiseptic' products (basically chemicals that kill bacteria and probably fungal infections as well) for many years.  Carbolic soap (which contained phenol) was one example.  Many trade names became well known through advertising as Amateurs post plus Listerine, Domestos, Jeyes Fluid, Parazone, and no doubt many more.  They kill bacteria through being a chemical poison to them - as do things like surgical spirit (alcohol).

An 'antiseptic' or 'disinfectant' product like these is not the same thing as an 'antibiotic' such as penicillin.  I'll leave it to someone with some medical/veterinary knowledge to explain that one!

Because bacteria mutates and some strains develop immunity to some, and maybe eventually all, antibiotics. While people go to their GP with an infection and are given a "general purpose swiss army knife" course of antibiotics the bug slowly becomes more and more resistant to the medication. This has happened to me over the years until I eventually developed ESBL E-Coli, a strain which, in my case, is only controlled by 4 specific drugs but, as ever, it develops a resistance to each one in turn, first infection 2 years ago and one drug down, so 3 more to go.

35 minutes ago, amateur said:

Domestos has been around since the 1920s and I'm fairly sure that Germolene, TCP and Dettol, all available pre-WW2, used to major on their antibacterial properties.

Yes all good stuff ,a cure for all ills, anyone know why we carn't buy the original sticky pink Germolene these days ?

5 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

anyone know why we carn't buy the original sticky pink Germolene these days

I'm guessing, but many 'old products' contained things that aren't allowed now - often because they are suspected of being possible carcinogens (i.e. can cause cancer).  I was told that was why the old Young's 303 formula was changed.  I think many products used coal tar as a basis and elements in that are considered 'risky'.

Another they have been trying to ban is glyphosate (i.e. Roundup and related weedkillers) because it is a 'possible' health risk.

With current knowledge, many once widely used products such as asbestos are now known to be hazardous.

16 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

Yes all good stuff ,a cure for all ills, anyone know why we carn't buy the original sticky pink Germolene these days ?

Apparently Bayer, the manufacturer, couldn't source an ingredient, but I suspect that John's explanation is more likely.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/04/2022 at 07:13, amateur said:

my mum used

1. Boracic powder
  2. Iodine...(the proper stuff)
  3. that red stuff.....what was it mecuric oxide ?..mecurichrome ?........it was worn as a badge of honour....on grazies from coming off yer bike...first pick the stone s and grit out then apply liberly

im still here despite all this stuff has been banned for years

It reminds me of the joke about the first world war general who was touring a hospital to inspect wounded soldiers.:  the general said to a soldier, "what are you in here for soldier"  the soldier said that his legs had been blown off and that he had gangrene.!  The general asked what treatment the soldier was getting.  The matron replied....   Wire brush and detol. SIR.!  The General said WIRE BRUSH AND DETOL??!! ??.   The General then asked the soldier.  "what's your ambition soldier.?  The soldier spoke up and said "MY AMBITION IS TO GET BACK TO MY MATES AND FIGHT FOR KING AND COUNTRY... SIR"!  Very good soldier.  You are a brave man.!  This went round the other wounded soldiers.  One soldier said that he had a soldier's disease.!  The General sort of asked and Matron said "WIRE BRUSH AND DETOL, sir.....  The General then asked the last soldier in the ward what his ambition was... The soldier replied " MY AMBITION IS TO GET TO THE WIRE BRUSH AND DETOL BEFORE ALL OF THESE OTHER DIRTY  FELLOWS". !!!  😆😲......SIR.

Edited by Minky