Cherry trees

Centrepin

My knowledge only extends to identifying and uses of trees but I have another question.

On the field outside my house is a beautiful cherry tree that most years but not all produces amazingly tasty black cherries. Alongside it is a tree that hasn't blossomed in a few years due to being ivy covered, it used to produce red cherries. Both trees when flowering properly are pink blossom.

This year other trees in the neighbour flowered 2 - 3 weeks ago and the blossom has already fallen.

Yesterday the two trees outside came into full white blossom not pink.

Question is why 2 - 3 weeks later than others and why white not pink?

Over to you tree experts.

2 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

My knowledge only extends to identifying and uses of trees but I have another question.

On the field outside my house is a beautiful cherry tree that most years but not all produces amazingly tasty black cherries. Alongside it is a tree that hasn't blossomed in a few years due to being ivy covered, it used to produce red cherries. Both trees when flowering properly are pink blossom.

This year other trees in the neighbour flowered 2 - 3 weeks ago and the blossom has already fallen.

Question is why 2 - 3 weeks later than others and why white not pink?

Over to you tree experts.

I would be interested to find the answer out myself , I have two Cherry trees in my garden that we planted when we first moved in about five years ago , this year the Pink started to flower a few weeks ago and to be honest it is the worse it have looked , several of the lower branches look as if they are wilting away and the tree is in need of some L T C.

Now my other one , which is a Black Morello have never looked so good , at the moment it is in deep White flower and look a 100% healthy , we don't eat the cherries but the Black birds love them .

2 hours ago, Centrepin said:

It could be that the earlier flowering trees were in a sheltered or warmer spot. 

The white could be a different species?

Loads of great looking blossom up here at the moment with pinks and white, they look great right until they dump the blossom everywhere 😄

7 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Thanks for replying, I'm looking forward to the harvest of cherries if I can get them before the pigeons and my very odd neighbour. The one who took wallpaper off and hung it on the line outside and was found sat naked under the tree at around 0200

We have a fruit cage around our cherry tree as we were fed up with the birds nicking the lot

On 22/04/2022 at 09:16, marsh man said:

I would be interested to find the answer out myself , I have two Cherry trees in my garden that we planted when we first moved in about five years ago , this year the Pink started to flower a few weeks ago and to be honest it is the worse it have looked , several of the lower branches look as if they are wilting away and the tree is in need of some L T C.

Now my other one , which is a Black Morello have never looked so good , at the moment it is in deep White flower and look a 100% healthy , we don't eat the cherries but the Black birds love them .

Hi John,

If I recall, your ornamental flowering cherry was in full flower when we visited a few weeks ago (early March), whereas mine has only just come into flower, so must be a different type. Ours is looking good, but unlike your morello, our morello cherry has very little blossom on this year and looks poorly. In a good year I manage to pick enough cherries for a gallon of Cherry Brandy or Cherry Vodka and the rest left for the birds, but this year they will, like yours, all be left for the blackbirds.

OB

IMG_2807.JPG

For Marsh man, photo of my morello cherry tree which has very little blossom this year.

IMG_2808.JPG