Fury v Whyte

Mice!

Don't sleep on Dillian Whyte! Could be classed as a bit of a journey man and went to war with Dereck Chisora twice and won both times, knocking him clean out in their 2nd fight  Had the big AJ shook but ultimately lost that fight by getting stopped. Got Sparked clean out by a peach of an uppercut by Povetkin after dominating and had the Russian down 3 times. Beat him handily in the rematch. That said Povetkins best days were far behind him.

Fury is the better boxer but Whyte has a dynamite left hook. I hope Whyte knocks him out! But Fury has to be the favourite to outbox Whyte.

Whyte's probably the fourth best heavyweight in the world right now. He's been given the runaround by the boxing federations and definitely deserved an earlier title shot than this one. I think he's beaten everyone on the circuit except the big three of Fury, Joshua and Wilder. He shook Joshua in their fight, but couldn't finish him.

He's got a puncher's chance, but has a bit of skill there too. I am pretty sure this is Fury's fight, but there's always that nagging doubt...

23 minutes ago, SuperGoose75 said:

Don't sleep on Dillian Whyte! Could be classed as a bit of a journey man and went to war with Dereck Chisora twice and won both times, knocking him clean out in their 2nd fight  Had the big AJ shook but ultimately lost that fight by getting stopped. Got Sparked clean out by a peach of an uppercut by Povetkin after dominating and had the Russian down 3 times. Beat him handily in the rematch. That said Povetkins best days were far behind him.

Fury is the better boxer but Whyte has a dynamite left hook. I hope Whyte knocks him out! But Fury has to be the favourite to outbox Whyte.

Is this a mandatory fight do you know? Heavy weight fights are usually hyped up but this seems to have gone under the radar,  if it was Fury v AJ at Wembley it would be massive. 

23 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Fury by knockout. Whyte has a puncher's chance, but hasn't the hand speed, movement, foot speed or boxing brain to out box Fury.

Always that chance in yhe heavyweight division,  I guess that's why it's tge most popular. 

5 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Is this a mandatory fight do you know? Heavy weight fights are usually hyped up but this seems to have gone under the radar,  if it was Fury v AJ at Wembley it would be massive. 

Always that chance in yhe heavyweight division,  I guess that's why it's tge most popular. 

I think it is mandatory, although as I said, Whyte's been mucked about a bit by the federations. 

This fight went under the radar because it nearly got called off with a cash offer to Joshua to let Usyk fight Fury (Whyte wasn't given a say). Then Whyte refused to show up to all but the last press conference and what bad blood there apparently was between them has diffused over the recent history and they were all very amicable come that final meet.

Here we go...

He says he’s retiring. No chance, he’s getting the money up for the next one.

Fury v Joshua is what everyone wants and the pay day would be off the chart obscene. But Joshua isn’t good enough, not from what I saw last time he was out. If they did put the fight on just for the money (and who could blame them) or because Usyk has to stay in the Ukraine fighting Putin’s army of Orcs, well Joshua will get battered either way, unless he’s been getting a whole lot better on the QT.

Edit

Oh, and I had the 7th and thought that looked like a good bet, right until that uppercut came out of nowhere.

Edited by Mungler

22 minutes ago, Mungler said:

Fury v Joshua is what everyone wants and the pay day would be off the chart obscene

It's certainly the fight people want to see.

I'd like to see Fury call AJ out, say its the only fight he wants, who else is there for him to beat?

I'd expect AJ to bottle it, but at least then Fury could retire and just gloat that AJ wouldn't step in the ring with him.

I think Joshua would shy away from the fight. His punch is similar to Whyte's, but his movement and chin are also similar. A fairly easy fight for Fury.

Joshua can trade on the "what if they met", whilst avoiding Fury like the plague.

Edited by Gordon R

10 hours ago, Mungler said:

He says he’s retiring. No chance, he’s getting the money up for the next one.

Fury v Joshua is what everyone wants and the pay day would be off the chart obscene. But Joshua isn’t good enough, not from what I saw last time he was out. If they did put the fight on just for the money (and who could blame them) or because Usyk has to stay in the Ukraine fighting Putin’s army of Orcs, well Joshua will get battered either way, unless he’s been getting a whole lot better on the QT.

Edit

Oh, and I had the 7th and thought that looked like a good bet, right until that uppercut came out of nowhere.

Joshua's just not delivered on his promise he showed in his early big fights. He's fast approaching the camp of all talk but no action. He has to defeat Usyk and really beat him up to prove he could still warrant a Fury match up

On 24/04/2022 at 06:08, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Why not?

Gordon answered for me 🙂 

23 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I think Joshua would shy away from the fight. His punch is similar to Whyte's, but his movement and chin are also similar. A fairly easy fight for Fury.

Joshua can trade on the "what if they met", whilst avoiding Fury like the plague.

I think it was Jimmy Greaves who said-Quote; Football's a funny old game!

The same can be said of boxing. Without going into too much detail, I find the shift in popularity when it comes to Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua to be basically unthinkable a few years back.

I think it was in Rome ,that it was once said''The mob is a fickle bunch''  a fickle bunch indeed.

If they ever fight each other, then Fury would be a heavy favourite to win. It would be hard to make a case for Joshua no matter what way he would approach the fight. He can't out box Fury and will need to come in heavy to take full advantage of his physic and power "then he will be huffing and puffing after a few rounds. Come in light like he did against Ruiz and try to box on the back foot is not going to work against Fury.

Fury has the world at his feet now and can cash out big time in a mockery of a cross-over fight with the UFC HW champion Francis Ngannou. They will try and make it like McGregor v Mayweather and fans will lap it up. Fury has got all the character and charisma to sell it. He doesn't really need Joshua now. 

Hats off to Fury in fairness, he came from a dark place and I think he took full advantage of a what really has been a poor era in Heavyweight boxing. 

Would he have mixed it back in the days of the legends like, Ali,Frazier,Foreman ect..or even later day fighters like  Mike Tyson,Holyfield or Lennox Lewis..? I'm not so sure he would have.

Edited by SuperGoose75

4 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

I think it was Jimmy Greaves who said-Quote; Football's a funny old game!

The same can be said of boxing. Without going into too much detail, I find the shift in popularity when it comes to Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua to be basically unthinkable a few years back.

I think it was in Rome ,that it was once said''The mob is a fickle bunch''  a fickle bunch indeed.

If they ever fight each other, then Fury would be a heavy favourite to win. It would be hard to make a case for Joshua no matter what way he would approach the fight. He can't out box Fury and will need to come in heavy to take full advantage of his physic and power "then he will be huffing and puffing after a few rounds. Come in light like he did against Ruiz and try to box on the back foot is not going to work against Fury.

Fury has the world at his feet now and can cash out big time in a mockery of a cross-over fight with the UFC HW champion Francis Ngannou. They will try and make it like McGregor v Mayweather and fans will lap it up. Fury has got all the character and charisma to sell it. He doesn't really need Joshua now. 

Hats off to Fury in fairness, he came from a dark place and I think he took full advantage of a what really has been a poor era in Heavyweight boxing. 

Would he have mixed it back in the days of the legends like, Ali,Frazier,Foreman ect..or even later day fighters like  Mike Tyson,Holyfield or Lennox Lewis..? I'm not so sure he would have.

I think right now Joshua's only strategy would have to be to try and walk through the jab and go for haymaker after haymaker. If he can land a few big shots early it could give Tyson something to think about. But he'd need to do it for round after round. What he needs is to learn how to move defensively. He can't match Fury for offensive movement, but if he can shift his feet more and sway intelligently to make Fury miss his big shots, that's tiring for a big man, because you're constantly having to reign in the missed punch to stop yourself over balancing. A long shot though. 

I think Fury would have beaten any of the older generation. Training and diet play a huge part in conditioning and that's moved on so much since Ali and Foreman were in the ring. And he'd have beaten Mike Tyson and Holyfield, because he moves so well. Lennox Lewis? Now that's a question!

6 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

think right now Joshua's only strategy would have to be to try and walk through the jab and go for haymaker after haymaker. If he can land a few big shots early it could give Tyson something to think about. But he'd need to do it for round after round. What he needs is to learn how to move defensively. He can't match Fury for offensive movement, but if he can shift his feet more and sway intelligently to make Fury miss his big shots, that's tiring for a big man, because you're constantly having to reign in the missed punch to stop yourself over balancing. A long shot though. 

It sounds like AJ needs to learn to box 😅😅

That's why the fight doesn't happen for me, and I certainly don't want it to happen in a few years when Fury hasn't boxed for a while.

1 minute ago, Mice! said:

It sounds like AJ needs to learn to box 😅😅

That's why the fight doesn't happen for me, and I certainly don't want it to happen in a few years when Fury hasn't boxed for a while.

Yeah. Within the next 18 months or not at all. Usyk will be a barometer. If Joshua can beat Usyk, then he has a chance. If not, then it's not worth it.