Manual recardo gun stock

dann boy

• 2 weeks later...

I've just read this post about Manuel Ricardo. Below is a link to an article I wrote a few years ago about my trip to have a stock made. 

I've been several times since and thoroughly recommend his work. I wouldn't be inclined to have a stock made using the 'distance' method. The reason for a custom made stock is so it fits you, there's a multitude of little alterations that can be made whilst you're standing in front of the stocker, or shooting the gun, that can't be identified purely by dimensions on a piece of paper. 

If you're going to take the trip, allow a week over there so that you get maximum time with Manuel.

http://shootclay.co.uk/2015/02/09/guest-post-stockmaking-portugal/

26 minutes ago, PhilR said:

I've just read this post about Manuel Ricardo. Below is a link to an article I wrote a few years ago about my trip to have a stock made. 

I've been several times since and thoroughly recommend his work. I wouldn't be inclined to have a stock made using the 'distance' method. The reason for a custom made stock is so it fits you, there's a multitude of little alterations that can be made whilst you're standing in front of the stocker, or shooting the gun, that can't be identified purely by dimensions on a piece of paper. 

If you're going to take the trip, allow a week over there so that you get maximum time with Manuel.

http://shootclay.co.uk/2015/02/09/guest-post-stockmaking-portugal/

Phil - What do you think the week cost you all in, with flights, hotel, stock and fitting?

2 hours ago, Fatcatsplat said:

Phil - What do you think the week cost you all in, with flights, hotel, stock and fitting?

Matt, bearing in mind my trip in the article was in 2014, prices now are likely to be higher and my memory is failing. The flights for two of us were roughly £200 return including carriage of the gun. The hotel was 50 euros a night B&B. The stock, grade 1 wood was 550 euros and that included manufacture, fitting and oil finishing.

As our flight was early morning from Gatwick we stayed in a local B&B that had storage for our car and they also dropped us at the airport and picked us up on return. I think that cost us £90.

I had higher grade wood than Phil and stayed in a posher hotel so my costs were higher probably flights hotel food er beer 🍺 wood stock and forend under 2000 euro 

the exchange rates are not so good now also I’m not sure what you need to transport a gun now in the way of licensing and permits 

there's a lot to chose from in the way of grade of wood 

A7389699-C308-4396-AB77-2782167776F4.jpeg

EB13EB1E-5545-41DF-AC4D-190A1AAE5A6F.jpeg

Booked to go in July. Flights with easy jet for 2 and my gun came in at £275 and staying next door in the Sao Felix for 9 nights, we are makig it a holiday, that was 600 

I do have pricing for this year if you want to know

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Same as a lower grade 

it’s just that you pay more for the wood 

That was what I was asking sorry didn’t put it right

m my mate has a B25 c grade which I love but don’t like the roach belly

i want a prince of wales pistol grip 

11 hours ago, Ragerover said:

i want a prince of wales pistol grip 

With respect, are you sure you actually know what a POW grip looks like? 
I only mention this because the vast majority of shooters seem to think that the rounded half pistol  grip stock is a POW, which it is not. POW grips are comparatively rare and most have never seen one.

1 minute ago, London Best said:

With respect, are you sure you actually know what a POW grip looks like? 
I only mention this because the vast majority of shooters seem to think that the rounded half pistol  grip stock is a POW, which it is not. POW grips are comparatively rare and most have never seen one.

A picture of one would be good 😊👍

Just now, Old farrier said:

A picture of one would be good 😊👍

I did post one once on a thread, but can’t remember which thread.

I am caravanning on Anglesey at the moment so a long way from the book with the picture in. If I remember correctly it is in Vintage Guns for the Modern Shot, by Dig Haddoke.

8 minutes ago, London Best said:

I did post one once on a thread, but can’t remember which thread.

I am caravanning on Anglesey at the moment so a long way from the book with the picture in. If I remember correctly it is in Vintage Guns for the Modern Shot, by Dig Haddoke.

Found it! Photo is in the tablet.

B10DFC6C-6294-4536-AA29-1175A31676BF.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...