Winchester subs

hi all, does anyone use Winchester 22lr subs. only im finding the ammunition dangerous, i have found in my sako the bullet sometimes wont load from the magazine into the chamber, i get no end of misfires and today i had a misfire and the cartridge got stuck in the chamber, i found the same using the Winchester .17 ammo in my CZ, im going to take the ammo back to the shop, i have had no issues using eleys, Rws and cci,  in both calibres has anyone else found issues with Winchester ammo.

regards Tony  

24 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Odd how some people swear by them whilst others (me included) swear at them, never seen a more poorly made inconsistent round in all my days, I only buy RWS nowadays.

Hello, RWS for me to after trying 4 22 subs including Winchester, I clean the wax off with white spirit first and get no problem loading, just a few brass specs that I blow out the breach and it's all clean, mind you the cost per 50 is up 🤔🙄

I've not had a problem with any .22LR ammo in any of my .22s. I have seen plenty of people have problems, especially with tighter match chambers, dirty chambers, bolts, pins etc.

Have you measured the faulty ammo at all? Sounds like the brass might be fractionally larger than others (perhaps thicker which would explain the misfire if it's light striking) but wondering if it's out of tolerance or doesn't suit your gun. 

19 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I've used Winchester sub's for the past 35+ years. Never had a problem with them. They are a bit greasy sometimes, but I clean the bullets before loading etc.

Build up of wax in the mag can stop the round from loading into the chamber on my Sako .

very inconsistant round in my experience. quite a few are obviously supersonic and go off with a loud crack while others barely make a pop and land 4" low at 40 yards. now use eley club as they are cheaper and far more accurate and consistant and also subsonic. I don't need hollow point.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found that some go super sonic in my sako , which means 1/2 higher in a 50 yard group . Despite this they group well enough for hunting and hit like a train so I’ll keep using them.

I’ve had similar loading issues though, I can only put four rounds in the magazine other wise they get stuck when loading , i thinking this is a mag issue rather than an ammo issue though .

• 1 month later...

Can anyone confirm if the Winchester 42gn subsonic have changed? My 455 shoots them okay, a lot better than eley subs. However I've read they have changed design and people have had right bad batches. I've got about 200 of the Australian made ones left, bought pre covid.