An interesting problem

Walker570

9 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Rather surprised nobody decided to leave a length of that thin blue nylon rope in the pipe when it was fitted!   

Well, that’s all very well and good unless you have a soon to be 8 year old who decides to pull the drawstring out.

I wasn’t best pleased. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Walker570 I've seen your ferret idea in action.... I work for an IT cabling company and we do a lot of external fibre cabling through ducts etc.  Years ago we were on site at a spot in York and we found a duct running under a brige with no draw rope.  Our guys were just about to head off to HSS or the like for some rods when one of the guys who worked at the site 'nipped' home and came back with one of his ferrets and a sea fishing multiplier reel - 10 minutes later he was reeling in a new draw rope into the duct 😀

1 hour ago, Jonty said:

@Walker570 I've seen your ferret idea in action.... I work for an IT cabling company and we do a lot of external fibre cabling through ducts etc.  Years ago we were on site at a spot in York and we found a duct running under a brige with no draw rope.  Our guys were just about to head off to HSS or the like for some rods when one of the guys who worked at the site 'nipped' home and came back with one of his ferrets and a sea fishing multiplier reel - 10 minutes later he was reeling in a new draw rope into the duct 😀

Brilliant. If the wire doesn't work we may be going in that direction.   It's a long pull about 35 yrds/mtrs but a big old hob would manage that and I have pleanty of braid line.

2 hours ago, Stour-boy said:

I have used a vacuuming cleaner before using a light line ,no leaks and make sure it’s free on the feed end, then work up to a line that will pull through the intended line .

its got to work.👍

Stour boy.

In a small tube..couple of inches maybe but this is a six inch pipe thirty five yards long..... a big suck.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Brilliant. If the wire doesn't work we may be going in that direction.   It's a long pull about 35 yrds/mtrs but a big old hob would manage that and I have pleanty of braid line.

In a small tube..couple of inches maybe but this is a six inch pipe thirty five yards long..... a big suck.

It'll do it as long as the line is light and free spooling, the seal is good between bag and wall ( we sometimes put a wodge of loft insulation in the bag )

if the bends are 90° fencing wire/suspended ceiling wire can work well.

shove a small rubber ball,on the end. Push in from end furthest from first bend until it hits the bend. Cut wire long enough to complete the run. Put cut end in chuck of drill and spin it whilst pushing . If wire bends support it inside a length of plastic conduit.