An interesting problem

Walker570

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used to do this all the time Nev, use a draw cord tied to the handles of a stout carrier bag, stuff it down a little way then open ended hose off a compressor to blast it through.  First time I saw that done on site must have been a 200yd run of duct, I was gobsmacked!

Just remember to anchor down the other end of your draw cord!

If you know someone with a decent powerful carpet cleaning machine you could maybe do it from the other end using vacuum.  You'd need to strike a balance between the the bag/rags (consider it like a wad in a cartridge) making a good vacuum seal, versus it being too resistant to being pulled through.

16 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Will he make it to 9 years old?

I hope so, major investment in my boys as maybe need a kidney or something in the future 🙂

As to the conduit. It is 60mm diameter and to be used for some 6mm2 SWA.

Due to the stiffness of the armoured, it was easy to feed it through. 

13 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Just wait until he tells us why he’s doing it 😂😂😊

Well a farmer whos ground I have had shooting on for the last 30yrs is wanting to put in a new mains supply from one shed to another BUT whoever put the duct in forgot to leave a rope in it.    I like the idea of spinning the wire, didn't think of that.

He is going to have a go this morning and I already bent over one end of the wire and wrapped it in tape so it would less likely to snag. 

10 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

Used to do this all the time Nev, use a draw cord tied to the handles of a stout carrier bag, stuff it down a little way then open ended hose off a compressor to blast it through.  First time I saw that done on site must have been a 200yd run of duct, I was gobsmacked!

Just remember to anchor down the other end of your draw cord!

If you know someone with a decent powerful carpet cleaning machine you could maybe do it from the other end using vacuum.  You'd need to strike a balance between the the bag/rags (consider it like a wad in a cartridge) making a good vacuum seal, versus it being too resistant to being pulled through.

Jim i've already told him that 3rd post in !

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, would be pleased to hear how the farmer got on with this problem and did he work out a solution to get the new light working ??

Nice of you to get back to some common sense.  I have not had a reply so far but as you probably appreciate a day on a dairy farm never goes to plan, always something being thrown in the works. As soon as I have a result I will report.

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Nice of you to get back to some common sense.  I have not had a reply so far but as you probably appreciate a day on a dairy farm never goes to plan, always something being thrown in the works. As soon as I have a result I will report.

Hello, will be interesting to hear 👍

14 hours ago, Walker570 said:

unless the farmer is in hospital with firework burns!!

High tensile wire was going through fine but came to a solid stop short of the exit.  I am thinking a whole bunch of dead rats maybe seeing they have a pro vemin guy sorts those and they will go down in their nests to die.  He now finds there is a rope in the pipe but that will not budge either.  All sorts of possibilities...rats and maybe a large old wasp nest or both.

Going to cut back the pipe as it is quite near the exit.

I'm just advising from a distance ..... 11 miles distant to be precise

Edited by Walker570