Transferring a shotgun information

Hi, when I have ever brought/sold a gun I have used Derbyshire firearms form on the internet and I thought I received a email back confirming details ect. A friend of mine brought a new shotgun at the weekend so I went on line for him and showed him how to do it on Staffordshire firearms site. He hasn’t received anything back from them yet and started panicking as he don’t trust the internet and modern technology lol. 
can anyone tell me if this is normal practice please?

This has happened to me a number of times. I have occasionally had an auto-reply confirming receipt of my notification but more often I got nothing back and had to chase.

I always cc myself in so I have some proof of sending in. Thankfully my force now has an online form that emails a copy automatically back.

If worried I'd send a copy again and ask for notification, ccing his own email address.

24 minutes ago, crossy 666 said:

Hi, when I have ever brought/sold a gun I have used Derbyshire firearms form on the internet and I thought I received a email back confirming details ect. A friend of mine brought a new shotgun at the weekend so I went on line for him and showed him how to do it on Staffordshire firearms site. He hasn’t received anything back from them yet and started panicking as he don’t trust the internet and modern technology lol. 

Has he checked his spam/junk folder?

I always get an auto reply email and nothing else, but now it is an online form (Kent), there is an option to save a copy of the form after submittal.

Edited by Newbie to this

39 minutes ago, crossy 666 said:

I always send mine via the postal service to Staffs as I  don't trust the internet and never receive any acknowledgment

Oh dear, reality check time:  Emails are sent unencrypted in plain text by default.

Let me repeat that: Emails are completely readable by anyone in the middle who cares to look.  The rule of thumb is “never send anything in an email that you wouldn’t send on the back of a postcard”

By all means use the online forms, as they are encrypted.  My local force (Avon and Somerset) will give you a transaction reference number, and even generate a PDF receipt of the transaction for you.  Save that, print it out if you must.  But sending details of transaction is over email is pretty appalling security practice, in my opinion.

By all means chase your local office via email, quoting the reference number, as that will create an auditable papertrail, but omit sensitive information.

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

Has he checked his spam/junk folder?

Good money it's either this or he's mis-typed his own email address.

51 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

But sending details of transaction is over email is pretty appalling security practice, in my opinion.

Tell that to my local licensing dept. I used their online form (Dorset) as that's what they want you to now use. (They've removed the electronic copy of the doc you could print out and post in).

When you fill out their online form they email you a copy of what you typed in. This includes your full name, DoB, licence number, phone, address etc, etc.

Now I'm not disagreeing with you but it gets tiring pointing this sort of thing out to the powers that be.

8 hours ago, crossy 666 said:

Thanks for all the feedback. We have resent it for his peace of mind. We agreed that it’s best they received it twice than not at all. 

I did this when I lived in Suffolk. Two days later I had a phone call from the LFO (?) asking why I had two guns with the same serial number........."DOH!!"