30 or 32 inch

Big Al

I've always owned guns with either 28 or 30 inch barrels. I'm considering going for a 32 inch gun, primarily for sporting Clays and wildfowling. Is the difference between 30 and 32 inch barrels a significant one? 

Are the guns muzzle heavy? The gun I'm thinking of is a Browning B525 laminate sporter.

32” need not feel heavy …. but I understand the Laminate model you’re looking at is a bit on the ‘hefty’ side.

Best try a couple of different ones out if you can.

For fowling in the half light (especially duck), I’d prefer something more ‘intuitive’ than the deliberate swing of a 32”

Edited by Smokersmith

Friend had the 525 SL laminate, albeit in a 30” and I didn’t find it heavy at all. Found it quite lively to be fair. At the time I was shooting a DT11 with 30” barrels. Which in comparison felt like a tank. Best to go and handle one, If you already fit and shoot a browning well. You’ll should be ok 👍 

I've got a 525 laminate 32" weighs in at 8lb 6oz around a 1lb heavier than the standard 525 balances just in front of the hinge pin, handles much like my old dt10 to me, be aware that the midas chokes that come with it are the heaviest chokes known to man at 45g the titanium chokes I use are 23.5g 😁

24", 26", 28", 30" and 32" all have a place in shooting, I too went for a 34" Perazzi, but cancelled it before flying out to Italy.

The single MOST important element is the balance point.

The weight should be between the hands.

The longer barrels help with a steady swing, I use 32"s on the clays.

I use shorter barrels on live stuff.

If you have one available for a good price, grab it.

14 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The single MOST important element is the balance point.

Couldn't agree more. I was lucky enough to go to a day with John Jefferies and his Perazzi guns, i tried 32",33" and 34" barrels in all sorts of guises. All pretty much balanced at the hinge pin but the one i really shot extremely well with, well above my average, was the 33" sporter, it was a wander for a very heavy gun.Would have had one there and then if i'd had a spare £10,000

Completely depends on the type of shooting you want to do. Just clays, no problem with 32 inch. If you want it for game and pigeons you definitely don’t want anything longer than 30 inch. 2 inches might not seem much but boy do you notice it if you’re shooting flat land partridges on small shoots, the same in a pigeon hide. 

If i was only shooting clays and high driven game on high bird shoots I wouldn’t even look at anything less than 32 inch though. 

I don't think the bird will notice the difference. It is all down to what fits you and feels right. I'm a touch over 6ft and like 30 inch barrels by choice for everyhting they just fit and if I needed to replace what I have and I could get 32s then I would try first then buy.  It honestly ain't going to make a blind bit of difference to the result after the shot has left the barrel.  Over the years I have seen some awesome pheasants downed with 25 inch barrels because the gun fit the guy like a glove.

Here's my 2p worth. I am six feet four inches and did, once, have a thirty-two inch barrel Midland Gun BLE with 3" chambers. When I had the stock lengthened to my measurements of 15 7/8" it only just fitted into my gun cabinet! So be careful what you wish for and measure your cabinet first! And, I'd add, if put up (assembled) in a suitable gunslip in the boot of your car!

Edited by enfieldspares

8 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Here's my 2p worth. I am six feet four inches and did, once, have a thirty-two inch barrel Midland Gun BLE with 3" chambers. When I had the stock lengthened to my measurements of 15 7/8" it only just fitted into my gun cabinet! So be careful what you wish for and measure your cabinet first! And, I'd add, if put up (assembled) in a suitable gunslip in the boot of your car!

The 34" fits in assembled, with the flush chokes, but I have had to buy a specific gunship for it, stood next to the XXV, the XXV looks like it was made for a child, a very small one!

4 minutes ago, button said:

The 34" fits in assembled, with the flush chokes, but I have had to buy a specific gunship for it, stood next to the XXV, the XXV looks like it was made for a child, a very small one!

Really need pictures of the comparison.

On 29/04/2022 at 14:34, Big Al said:

Thanks for the replies. I was able to handle both yesterday- the 30 inch definitely felt better to me.

Whatever you decide upon, I trust that you will use it to good effect come the duck season, as I always look forward to your duck shooting videos on Lough Neagh.

OB

On 29/04/2022 at 14:34, Big Al said:

Thanks for the replies. I was able to handle both yesterday- the 30 inch definitely felt better to me.

Handling and SHOOTING them are worlds apart. I have known some shooters who could not handle the 32"  barrels and lost a fair bit on the part chop. I would urge you to TRY the 32" before taking the plunge.

On 06/05/2022 at 18:54, Westley said:

Handling and SHOOTING them are worlds apart. I have known some shooters who could not handle the 32"  barrels and lost a fair bit on the part chop. I would urge you to TRY the 32" before taking the plunge.

I have shot the 30 inch. The weight seems to be between my hands. It's what first drew me to the gun. The 32 inch has a different balance - slightly more muzzle heavy. But I haven't shot a 32.

On 06/05/2022 at 10:32, Old Boggy said:

Whatever you decide upon, I trust that you will use it to good effect come the duck season, as I always look forward to your duck shooting videos on Lough Neagh.

OB

Cheers OB - it will certainly be in the duck hide. The extra weight will help with the 3 inch steel cartridges!