Jump to content

HW 57


gmm243
 Share

Recommended Posts

Morning all 

 

I puy up a post here a long time ago regarding looking for a new air rifle for my sons but between one thing and another (Them shooting shotguns throughout the season really) I never got round to getting anything.We did look at some HW 77's but they were too heavy.Anyway the boys have now remembered about getting a new air rifle and I have seen a second hand HW 57 for decent money but the reviews I can see vary from pretty awful to very good.This is one of the newer models with the white dots in the loading port. It does seem to be significantly lighter than the 77 which would be a big plus but I don't want to buy trouble. I know a lot of reviews are written to sell guns and don't always tell the bad points so if anyone had first hand experience I would be grateful to hear it.

Would there be a break barrel alternative that would be better?

Thanks for looking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, gmm243 said:

Morning all 

 

I puy up a post here a long time ago regarding looking for a new air rifle for my sons but between one thing and another (Them shooting shotguns throughout the season really) I never got round to getting anything.We did look at some HW 77's but they were too heavy.Anyway the boys have now remembered about getting a new air rifle and I have seen a second hand HW 57 for decent money but the reviews I can see vary from pretty awful to very good.This is one of the newer models with the white dots in the loading port. It does seem to be significantly lighter than the 77 which would be a big plus but I don't want to buy trouble. I know a lot of reviews are written to sell guns and don't always tell the bad points so if anyone had first hand experience I would be grateful to hear it.

Would there be a break barrel alternative that would be better?

Thanks for looking.

Have a look at the HW 95 or HW 99.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One if the issues with hw springers is that the pistol grip usually has a long reach to trigger .making they unsuitable for smaller hands .even some male adult hands find it too much .the extra barrel underleaver  adds a lot of weight out the front making it hard for kids to support it with there leading arm   . A hw 99 will help in that respect .but still suffers from the pistol grip  .

There are other guns that have a more suitable pistol grip and reach to pull from butt to trigger  . 

But I'd say the biggest factor to consider .is whether both your boys can cock the cun .

If the barrel /under leaver is too long or too heavy they will struggle and then the fun soon fades .

I shoot with my kids (13 +11 ) and neither like my springers .they much prefer a pcp .

They aren't keen on the recoil weight and cocking the gun  .

Food for thought  

If your set on a springer   and depending  on the size of your kids  .

I'd recommend  something like a browning m blade .smaller and junior  sized  that wont put them off and they can shoot without the strain and flinching of the recoil .hw30 is good but still suffers somewhat from the pistol grip .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My boys are 13 and 10 but both big lads.The 13 year old is 5'11 and still growing-costs me a fortune in food.

I think the pcp is prob the best way to go,I will keep an eye on the sales.I see a webley raider in there but something like a scorpion might be better. Would need to get a bottle as well.

I have the FAC slot as I live in N Ireland all guns including airguns go onto the FAC so that is not a problem.The main issue is choice and selection as there is not as much of a following for airguns here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, old man said:

Any chance of looking at a second hand Air Arms S200, tough, easy repair and lightweight.

I have been looking for one but there doesn't seem to be to be one to be had here within 100 miles

Need to be able to find something in good nick but local so the boys ca heft it up and see if they are fit to use it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gmm243 said:

I have been looking for one but there doesn't seem to be to be one to be had here within 100 miles

Need to be able to find something in good nick but local so the boys ca heft it up and see if they are fit to use it.

Maybe keep looking? Light weight, reliable, easy fix?

What about RFD one from mainland?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, is this for target or vermin shooting ? I would look at a 99 S , open sights and rail , 

Hello, the S 200 are ok, I had one years ago, the mag systems a pain to set up , alternative a single loader can be used, all depends what you want to spend,  there's a few decent PCPs that would be suitable, what gun shops are in your area, I'm sure there's some where to fill cylinders as well

Edited by oldypigeonpopper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Morning again,

So after a lot of searching it looks like I have managed to find an S200 within a manageable distance from home so I plan to go and look at it soon. (Tested positive this morning so it will be a few days)

I was probably going to go down the route of a pump instead of a bottle.Would this be the best way to go and if so do you have to have a Hills pump or are there now good alternatives?

Are there any issues to look out for on these guns that I should look out for before I purchase.

Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Pumping the s200 is Easy .

I use an fx pump .but hills are also very good .

There are cheaper pumps .

I have one  given as a freebie .it's.....

Err  .budget -  I've not filled a gun with it yet .

Thanks for that advice. I did see a few on line but was under  the impression it was Hills or nothing.Everything else would put moisture in your gun.

 

Would most of the pumps on the market got to 200bar or would you need a bottle for that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, gmm243 said:

Thanks for that advice. I did see a few on line but was under  the impression it was Hills or nothing.Everything else would put moisture in your gun.

 

Would most of the pumps on the market got to 200bar or would you need a bottle for that?

I have an S200 and pump it with a bog standard pump without much trouble up to 200. Must admit am toying with selling and buying an HW95 springer having looked at them at the Northern Shooting Show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

I have an S200 and pump it with a bog standard pump without much trouble up to 200. Must admit am toying with selling and buying an HW95 springer having looked at them at the Northern Shooting Show.

Thanks for that info.

Do you rate the gun highly?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, gmm243 said:

Thanks for that info.

Do you rate the gun highly?

I think it is a cracking gun and I have the magazine option. Only reason I am considering a change is I live in a rural area and tank refills and retests are difficult. When I first bought it I was diving so had everything at my fingertips and a dive centre a few miles away..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

I think it is a cracking gun and I have the magazine option. Only reason I am considering a change is I live in a rural area and tank refills and retests are difficult. When I first bought it I was diving so had everything at my fingertips and a dive centre a few miles away..

it’s your lucky day I had both new air arms was class hw piece of trash a lesson learnt the expensive hard way won’t make that mistake again used a s510 for last five years nothing comes close to it keep the s200 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gmm243 said:

Thanks for that advice. I did see a few on line but was under  the impression it was Hills or nothing.Everything else would put moisture in your gun.

 

Would most of the pumps on the market got to 200bar or would you need a bottle for that?

200 bar is a pretty easy  pressure to reach with a decent pump .

I often go up to 230 bar .and have made 250 on my 300 cc fx .which is a bit of a workout .

But as you can guess the difficultness (is that a word ?)  Increases exponentially  with  every extra bar .especially  over 200 bar .in my experience  .

The s200 has a pretty small air capacity  .so 200 bar should be easy to pump to .

Infact  . I believe they prefer 180 - 190 bar .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

200 bar is a pretty easy  pressure to reach with a decent pump .

I often go up to 230 bar .and have made 250 on my 300 cc fx .which is a bit of a workout .

But as you can guess the difficultness (is that a word ?)  Increases exponentially  with  every extra bar .especially  over 200 bar .in my experience  .

The s200 has a pretty small air capacity  .so 200 bar should be easy to pump to .

Infact  . I believe they prefer 180 - 190 bar .

Agreed I don’t go over 200 with the pump

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/05/2022 at 21:07, gmm243 said:

Thanks for that advice. I did see a few on line but was under  the impression it was Hills or nothing.Everything else would put moisture in your gun.

 

Would most of the pumps on the market got to 200bar or would you need a bottle for that?

180 plenty for the 200.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...