Swallows at last

rimfire4969

I am so pleased to have seen the first Swallows of the year. 8 days later than last year and 3 weeks later than the year before. For the 10 years previous they have normally arrived about the 11th April. I guess after a journey of 8000 miles the weather must make a huge difference to their arrival day.

2 hours ago, mgsontour said:

Saw them 2 days ago near Blackpool, as you say about 2 weeks late, the last time they were this late in my diary was 2014

Spotted the first one on Friday.They come every year nest in the same place and rear a good brood.Nice to see them back that's in St Anne's.

Edited by wisdom
Addition

I saw my first one about two weeks which was a bit earlier than last year , I was shooting on the edge of a rape field last Saturday and saw several flitting about over the flowers.

Not sure where they hit landfall when they cross the North sea , no doubt the wind direction would dictate where they hit the coast .

It will still be a week or two when the first Swifts appear and then we will know that Summer have arrived .

11 hours ago, Cornish lad said:

Hi Rimfire ,we saw our first 2 1/2 weeks ago not 3 miles from your place and been building up over winter corn fields

Mad, I have been out around the shoot, my place, walking the dogs and seen nothing till yesterday. 
Are you sorted for this coming season? 

Edited by rimfire4969