ADVICE REQUIRED

Fuj

I am after advice as I have only ever shot my guns as a member in a gun club for many years and on clay grounds.

I have been given permission by my landlord to shoot rats (ground level using fac air rifle) on his commercial premises at night. (An enclosed long and wide driveway which will be locked shut whilst I’m shooting in between 2 commercial buildings (one on the left and the other on the right hand side, there is backstop wall which is the full height of these buildings)

I have asked for advice from West Yorkshire Police in how to apply and get permission granted, wether I have to send in the written permission from the landlord, variation form etc as it’s something which I haven’t done before. 

WYP response

If you wish to shoot over land you must first gain some experience by going out with another certificate holder who has the land condition and using their rifle.

When this can be verified by the other certificate holder, you download the variation form if you are requiring more rifles and send in with details of the land where you have permission and a letter confirming your experience.

You will only be able to shoot over land which has been previously checked by the police.

The latter clearly puts this permission received to bed.

What are your thoughts on the above?

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Fuj

6 minutes ago, Good shot? said:

Why FAC is what I would want to know, in order to assist with your query.

Because I already possess a FAC air rifle  on my certificate and instead of me going out and buying more guns I just thought this might be easier but clearly not 

I presume from your post that you have no land/farms to shoot over?

if your use of a FAC rifle as only been at a club/range then it maybe difficult for you to get the area passed for a FAC rifle.

As others have said I think 12ft1lb air rifle the way to go.

My advice? Shoot it with a non-FAC air rifle and then you've gained enough experience yourself. Then inform WYP you find that you need the flatter trajectory that an FAC rate air rifle gives after you've been shooting the land for a few months.

And do, please, post here what help you get from BASC.

Edited by enfieldspares

How much over the 12 ft/lbs is your FAC air rifle? It may not present a significant danger if it’s 14 or 16 ft lbs - it will just give the rats a little more of a whack. However, if it’s 20 ft lbs you’re looking at a different proposition. Personally I wouldn’t want to use such a rifle around buildings anyway. 

As above, you already have demonstrated experience of handling and shooting guns at a club where you have been seen to be using them safely.

I suggest the FLO is being an obstructive nancy just because it can, particularly as the premises is locked while you are there. 

Hopefully you can get BASC to have a word on your behalf.

2 hours ago, old'un said:

I presume from your post that you have no land/farms to shoot over?

if your use of a FAC rifle as only been at a club/range then it maybe difficult for you to get the area passed for a FAC rifle.

As others have said I think 12ft1lb air rifle the way to go.

That is correct, I have no land except permission for this to shoot over. 

My guns are only to be used at the club. 

3 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

My advice? Shoot it with a non-FAC air rifle and then you've gained enough experience yourself. Then inform WYP you find that you need the flatter trajectory that an FAC rate air rifle gives after you've been shooting the land for a few months.

And do, please, post here what help you get from BASC.

I will do, thank you. 

2 hours ago, Fellside said:

How much over the 12 ft/lbs is your FAC air rifle? It may not present a significant danger if it’s 14 or 16 ft lbs - it will just give the rats a little more of a whack. However, if it’s 20 ft lbs you’re looking at a different proposition. Personally I wouldn’t want to use such a rifle around buildings anyway. 

It is 28ft lb. 

2 hours ago, daveboy said:

What does your certificate say?......FAC air rifle is open for most.

Club shooting 🥱

2 hours ago, Dave-G said:

As above, you already have demonstrated experience of handling and shooting guns at a club where you have been seen to be using them safely.

I suggest the FLO is being an obstructive nancy just because it can, particularly as the premises is locked while you are there. 

Hopefully you can get BASC to have a word on your behalf.

Fingers crossed. Thank you. 

9 hours ago, Good shot? said:

Is there no one at your club with a spare sub 12 who could lend it to you.

Club shooters are usually very helpful in such situations.

There will be, but I’d much rather have my own to be honest. 

I don’t mind helping anyone out myself, but I never want anyone to feel that I’m taking advantage by asking for a favour and if I do; I cannot rest until I’ve repaid the favour back.

So just a lot easier having my own

Edited by Fuj

I don't know much about FAC air rifles but 28ftlb sounds like it could damage anyhting you may hit other than the rat. We all miss occasionally . Difficult problem. Can you not turn down the energy level, I know you can on some rifles.  I agree lot better to shoot your own and if the possibilty is of having this permission to continue then maybe a purchase of a 12ft lb rifle may be the way to go.  My friend has just purchased a break barrel in 22 for £100 and it rolls tree rats as well as my PCP. 

When you get sorted can I suggest maybe a couple of bait boxes to bring the rats into a safe spot to do the job.  Best of luck, hope you get it sorted.

It sounds a bit like you need some hunting experience  with an airgun (which is fine ) and usually the best way to achieve this is with a sub 12 air gun ..your in the unusual  position of having an fac air before a sub 12 .as others have stated above. Go and get a nice sub 12 .don't think of it as just for this permission but for expanding the enjoyment  of your sport .it will also open much more shooting opportunity doors than a alone  fac ever will  .

Also as said above .a fac .22 air at 28 fpe is a bit too much gun for round barns shooting and certainly  over kill on rats  the chance of a bad angle and damaging  ricochet  is hugely increased. 

Go for a .177  sub 12 .either springer or pcp 

Ideal for rats  

19 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I don't know much about FAC air rifles but 28ftlb sounds like it could damage anyhting you may hit other than the rat. We all miss occasionally . Difficult problem. Can you not turn down the energy level, I know you can on some rifles.  I agree lot better to shoot your own and if the possibilty is of having this permission to continue then maybe a purchase of a 12ft lb rifle may be the way to go.  My friend has just purchased a break barrel in 22 for £100 and it rolls tree rats as well as my PCP. 

When you get sorted can I suggest maybe a couple of bait boxes to bring the rats into a safe spot to do the job.  Best of luck, hope you get it sorted.

No, unfortunately the energy cannot be turned down on my rifle

Deffo, the only way forward would be a 12ft lb rifle.

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated. 

Edited by Fuj

18 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

It sounds a bit like you need some hunting experience  with an airgun (which is fine ) and usually the best way to achieve this is with a sub 12 air gun ..your in the unusual  position of having an fac air before a sub 12 .as others have stated above. Go and get a nice sub 12 .don't think of it as just for this permission but for expanding the enjoyment  of your sport .it will also open much more shooting opportunity doors than a alone  fac ever will  .

Also as said above .a fac .22 air at 28 fpe is a bit too much gun for round barns shooting and certainly  over kill on rats  the chance of a bad angle and damaging  ricochet  is hugely increased. 

Go for a .177  sub 12 .either springer or pcp 

Ideal for rats  

Deffo time to go back to basics I think with a sub 12.

Thank you for your advice. 😊

18 hours ago, davewh100 said:

I'm also west Yorkshire but closer to the LANCASHIRE border shame your a bit to far, you would of been welcome to come with me and my mate we do fair bit of ratting for some experience, west Yorkshire can be difficult at times

Shame- as it sounds like fun. 
Thank you all the same mate 😊

20 hours ago, Fuj said:

No, unfortunately the energy cannot be turned down on my rifle

Deffo, the only way forward would be a 12ft lb rifle.

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated. 

Is that a case of 'not easily' turned down? I'm sure all air rifles can be turned down, with anti-tamper devices being the difficult part that can devalue the gun. 

That doesn't get over the problem of using it alone at your venue, but can get you to use one in the presence of an experienced FAC shooter at his ground.

There's also an opportunity for an open ticket FAC air user to join you at your premises - he can shoot anywhere with permission.

21 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Is that a case of 'not easily' turned down? I'm sure all air rifles can be turned down, with anti-tamper devices being the difficult part that can devalue the gun. .

Could someone educate me on this point please?
Somewhere in the mists of time someone told me that once an air rifle is classified as a firearm it remains classified as a firearm even if it is tuned down to below 12 ft lbs for the simple reason it can be tuned up again at any time. Is this true? Thanks.

Edited by Bobba