ADVICE REQUIRED

Fuj

36 minutes ago, Bobba said:

Could someone educate me on this point please?
Somewhere in the mists of time someone told me that once an air rifle is classified as a firearm it remains classified as a firearm even if it is tuned down to below 12 ft lbs for the simple reason it can be tuned up again at any time. Is this true? Thanks.

Yes, once recorded as a firearm for licencing purposes, it remains a firearm but since nearly all full power 12ftlbs air rifles can be tuned up to FAC (especially PCP's) and nearly all full size and full power spring guns are over 12ftlb with a new spring (until spring is shortened), it is a bit of legislation that was written and interpreted by those who don't understand air guns very well and a more sensible limit historically (pre PCP) would have been 20ftlbs as above this spring guns suffer from recoil effect such that accuracy normally suffers.

I am aware of at least 1 "export" gun that ended up on a dealers rack straight from the factory with a full spring, running 16ftlbs and sold to a customer who came back next day demanding "immunity" from dealer who stripped gun, took 4 coils off spring and gave it back to customer 30 min later, saying fixed!

1 hour ago, Stonepark said:

Yes, once recorded as a firearm for licencing purposes, it remains a firearm but since nearly all full power 12ftlbs air rifles can be tuned up to FAC (especially PCP's) and nearly all full size and full power spring guns are over 12ftlb with a new spring (until spring is shortened), it is a bit of legislation that was written and interpreted by those who don't understand air guns very well and a more sensible limit historically (pre PCP) would have been 20ftlbs as above this spring guns suffer from recoil effect such that accuracy normally suffers.

I am aware of at least 1 "export" gun that ended up on a dealers rack straight from the factory with a full spring, running 16ftlbs and sold to a customer who came back next day demanding "immunity" from dealer who stripped gun, took 4 coils off spring and gave it back to customer 30 min later, saying fixed!

That's a good summary of whats what. :-)

The key to the wording as far as I understand  is - a gun should not be easily adjustable.  Obviously  this is open to interpretation  ,but  a dial on the side of the gun that takes it over 12 fpe  is easy .a quick removal of the stock and wind a screw could be easy  . A total strip down that takes an hour and 15 tools and new orings  IS NOT easily  adjustable. 

So can a fac be detuned to a sub 12 .and then taken off ticket .only if the work carried out makes very difficult  to nigh on impossible to ever go back to fac .

Is my understanding  .(possibly changing breech blocks with serial numbers  also ) 

6 hours ago, Bobba said:

Could someone educate me on this point please?
Somewhere in the mists of time someone told me that once an air rifle is classified as a firearm it remains classified as a firearm even if it is tuned down to below 12 ft lbs for the simple reason it can be tuned up again at any time. Is this true? Thanks.

correct

On 02/05/2022 at 12:03, Dave-G said:

Is that a case of 'not easily' turned down? I'm sure all air rifles can be turned down, with anti-tamper devices being the difficult part that can devalue the gun. 

That doesn't get over the problem of using it alone at your venue, but can get you to use one in the presence of an experienced FAC shooter at his ground.

There's also an opportunity for an open ticket FAC air user to join you at your premises - he can shoot anywhere with permission.

Sorry, I didn’t clarify it. 
With it being a FAC air rifle, it can never go back to being a normal air rifle. 
There are other guns on the market which can be turned up and down with a few clicks but again it will still remain as a FAC rifle at 12ft lb so even then I would not be allowed to use it anywhere except at the club as a FAC