reciepe wanted

ditchman

im looking for a vinagrette recipe....something really simple not loaded with garlic..i will be puttingit on lettuce that has thinkly sliced onion and cucumber and chopped anchovies in it...the stuff you buy in the supermaket is awful.......

what do i need ????

16 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

Neutral oil (not olive oil), teaspoon of Dijon mustard, tablespoon white wine or cider vinegar, squeeze of lemon, touch of honey and a little water (helps it emulsify). Shake or stir together.

could i use colmans mustard powder ...as i dont like dijon..?

The method that I was given by my French pal to make a vinaigrette is.

Teaspoon of made up mustard, rapidly stirred into a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, until they blend together and form a thick cream, then let down to the desired consistency with a splash of wine vinegar or lemon juice. Salt, pepper and/or herbs to taste.

37 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

I would just use slightly less as it’s stronger.

how do you mean "neautral " oil..........?

21 minutes ago, amateur said:

The method that I was given by my French pal to make a vinaigrette is.

Teaspoon of made up mustard, rapidly stirred into a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, until they blend together and form a thick cream, then let down to the desired consistency with a splash of wine vinegar or lemon juice. Salt, pepper and/or herbs to taste.

that sounds more like it.....as i dont want a dressing that over powers the green stuff...but is sharp and slightly pecant...(my spelling is carp sorry)

17 hours ago, ehb102 said:

A decent balsamic vinegar would fit the bill. Not a sweet one but one of the others. Great over pasta and roast vegetables btw. Waitrose used to rate theirs with stars but I think that has gone by the board now. 

Balsamic works well in my vinaigrette recipe too. Although it's not authentic, it gives a less acidic, rounder taste.

1 hour ago, ehb102 said:

I would just use balsamic vinegar straight without messing around with oils and mustards!

So do I, sometimes.

It depends whether or not you want to achieve the creamy coating consistency of sauce vinaigrette for a salad or a simple oil and vinegar dressing or indeed straight balsamic, which we usually put, with a little rock salt on sliced fresh tomatoes.

right ...have been experimenting ...have made at least 10 different reciepes.......using different vinegar...different mustard...some powdered..........all (to me that is disgusting)

went back to basics

80%...clear(nearly) olive oil.....20% cider vinegar....pinch of salt and pleanty of fresh ground black pepper

"less is more"............bloody perfect..:good:

12 hours ago, ditchman said:

different mustard...some powdered

The purpose of the mustard is that it greatly helps the oil and vinegar(or lemon juice) to stay well mixed and not separate out.  Pepper does similarly, but less well.

Edited by JohnfromUK

5 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

The purpose of the mustard is that it greatly helps the oil and vinegar(or lemon juice) to stay well mixed and not separate out.  Pepper does similarly, but less well.

Exactly!