Pheasants

On 29/04/2022 at 19:39, Brambles said:

Hello folks, just been speaking with a few lads and they're saying that they might not be shooting this season due to the shortage of birds. Two rather large estates near me have said the same thing, how's the rest of the country 

In short, everywhere is the same. No birds from France means whole country is short

It seems a shortage of partridge.  Certainly one shoot I am booked on is still doing a few partridge but more pheasants.  Have the British forgotten how to rear partridge or am I missing something?  Seems ridiculous that we have to import eggs and chicks or have keepers just become 'feeders' of birds.  I'm old enough to still have seen fields full of broody hens sitting on eggs, tended by keepers twice a day with food and water plus being involved on days driven grey partridge from fields of swedes/mangols and stubbles on just 220 acres with all birds being wild.    There again we seem to import everything these days and forgotten how to 'make' anything.

On 03/05/2022 at 15:46, Walker570 said:

It seems a shortage of partridge.  Certainly one shoot I am booked on is still doing a few partridge but more pheasants.  Have the British forgotten how to rear partridge or am I missing something?  Seems ridiculous that we have to import eggs and chicks or have keepers just become 'feeders' of birds.  I'm old enough to still have seen fields full of broody hens sitting on eggs, tended by keepers twice a day with food and water plus being involved on days driven grey partridge from fields of swedes/mangols and stubbles on just 220 acres with all birds being wild.    There again we seem to import everything these days and forgotten how to 'make' anything.

So many game farms I've spoken to are saying they are keeping this year's laying stock and then using them again next year... Due to the lack of birds from France.

Only thing I can think of it being is a cost of import is so much cheaper. But that's just a guess.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/05/2022 at 22:28, ShootingEgg said:

So many game farms I've spoken to are saying they are keeping this year's laying stock and then using them again next year... Due to the lack of birds from France.

Only thing I can think of it being is a cost of import is so much cheaper. But that's just a guess.

The cost of importing them USED to be cheaper, but prices are going up.

I spoke with my mate the other day whos from a line / family of keepers. He said one of the big advantages used to be, that if you had the birds bought in, you could have a chunk of the summer off.

He used to work flat out over the winter doing the birds and shoot days, then once the season ended, you'd have a bit of down time, take the kids and family away on Holiday, things normal people and families do. 

He said if you were breeding and rearing your own birds, soon as the season ends your onto the next lot and it's just relentless. 

• 2 weeks later...

Eggs are bought from France /Spain due to the weather its more economical to over winter them further south ie partridges iv been told that in the last three years we became more reliant on pheasant eggs from France people in the uk not wanting to invest. as buying in has been the cheeper option I have my own laying stock and as said here before come feb 2 you start all over so its a lot of work

as to the price I had a conversation last night with a gun from another shoot and he said there will be no increase so I happen to say when you take into account diesel, electric for the incubator, gas for the brooder , drugs when there sick ,food ie pellets now £700 per ton wheat £300 *** may head to £500 fertiliser for maize this year its £1000 ton and the seed and tractor cost I said you must be a fruit cake if you think it will stay the same  can any one give me an indication as to what they are actually paying per poult this year assuming you can get them any comment much appreciated 

Well my shooting days this year have only gone up between 8 and 10%. I do appreciate the work involved by game keepers but that is the profession they chose.

I have looked around and there is little doubt that there are a few estates who have seen the chance to benefit ....nuff said.

The big problem is where guns have paid a 50% deposit but then find come October they cannot find the balance due to rising domestic costs.  I think there may be quite a few days this season which come up as a result.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Well my shooting days this year have only gone up between 8 and 10%. I do appreciate the work involved by game keepers but that is the profession they chose.

I have looked around and there is little doubt that there are a few estates who have seen the chance to benefit ....nuff said.

The big problem is where guns have paid a 50% deposit but then find come October they cannot find the balance due to rising domestic costs.  I think there may be quite a few days this season which come up as a result.

I think with the shortage of birds price increases for pellet and wheat there was always going to be a price increase. Not sure you can blame the Keepers.

If a gun has booked and paid a deposit it is normally at an agreed price in writing, if the price changes a lot I would think the shoot would or should return the deposit.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Any days coming available will be rapidly swallowed by the demand created by cancelled shoots.

2 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Any days coming available will be rapidly swallowed by the demand created by cancelled shoots.

Yep, absolutely.  I still have a few spaces.

4 hours ago, rimfire4969 said:

I think with the shortage of birds price increases for pellet and wheat there was always going to be a price increase. Not sure you can blame the Keepers.

If a gun has booked and paid a deposit it is normally at an agreed price in writing, if the price changes a lot I would think the shoot would or should return the deposit.

I don't and did not BLAME the keepers I was only reponding to a comment where it was suggested keeprs have difficulty fitting in a holiday etc between their work schedule.

ALL jobs have downfall situations. The vaste majority if not all the Game Keepers I have met have accepted  what their job involves and are seriously dedicated.

The last time I was there it was just a tad scary. Went in at Laredo and drove without stopping to a hunting ranch. Serious security gates going in. They looked after us very well indeed but the journey in and out was not enjoyable.

Cannot for the life of me think what this has to do with the shortage of partridge/pheasant however.:hmm:

2 hours ago, johnygreenfeet said:

Mexico in February is wonderful although not been for a few years now

On 29/05/2022 at 12:21, johnygreenfeet said:

Eggs are bought from France /Spain due to the weather its more economical to over winter them further south ie partridges iv been told that in the last three years we became more reliant on pheasant eggs from France people in the uk not wanting to invest. as buying in has been the cheeper option I have my own laying stock and as said here before come feb 2 you start all over so its a lot of work

as to the price I had a conversation last night with a gun from another shoot and he said there will be no increase so I happen to say when you take into account diesel, electric for the incubator, gas for the brooder , drugs when there sick ,food ie pellets now £700 per ton wheat £300 *** may head to £500 fertiliser for maize this year its £1000 ton and the seed and tractor cost I said you must be a fruit cake if you think it will stay the same  can any one give me an indication as to what they are actually paying per poult this year assuming you can get them any comment much appreciated 

My shoot is paying £5/plot for 750 birds. Local supplier.

Have been informed our syndicate has been offered 300 birds at a price of 7.50 each. They were 9.00 apparently, but a syndicate member has done a lot of work for the supplier, so has been given a discount.
Looks like we may be good to go this season after all. 

.....  and there is no doubt there has been a lot gouging

Just have to cut the cloth rtc....  accept that this next season there may not be as many birds in the air, but the whole atmosphere of a day will still be there. If anyone disagrees then they probably should take up clay shooting.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Just have to cut the cloth rtc....  accept that this next season there may not be as many birds in the air, but the whole atmosphere of a day will still be there. If anyone disagrees then they probably should take up clay shooting.

This 100 percent

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Well done Neville. Nailed it again.

17 hours ago, Walker570 said:

If anyone disagrees then they probably should take up clay shooting.

This.  Some of my favourite days have been very small days, and typically for me - 50 birds makes the day, and something for the larder for all.  I like to be able to watch - and I enjoy days every bit as much when not actually shooting, but helping out etc.

• 3 weeks later...

3-4 pheasant and maybe the odd woodcock, hare or something else wild thrown in for good measure are some of the best days I've had out shooting, just me and my spaniel :) 

Sad to see lots of people who previously paid deposits / agreed prices are claiming their suppliers jacked the prices up at the final hour, saying they wanted £10+ per poult. 

10 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

3-4 pheasant and maybe the odd woodcock, hare or something else wild thrown in for good measure are some of the best days I've had out shooting, just me and my spaniel :) 

Sad to see lots of people who previously paid deposits / agreed prices are claiming their suppliers jacked the prices up at the final hour, saying they wanted £10+ per poult. 

Yep, had some superb days out on the Welsh Hills chasing the odd grouse and a few snipe then a duck or two on the flashes at dusk. Just watching the dogs work was 50% of the fun.

Price hikes will always occur, you just don't deal with them in the future, such people no longer exist.