Forend coming loose on cg invictus

Ayrshireshooter

Hi so but concerned by this. It's gradually getting more loose since I bought it 7 months ago. I took it to a gunsmith who said it was the wood and so not much you could do. He suggested but of tape which worked ok. However it's now getting more loose over time still with wobble at the end nearest the muzzle.

is the wood just compromised and will expend til it snaps?

Any idea how much cg or others would charge for new one?

might need second opinion from another gunsmith? One I asked was more an assistant to be honest. 

Had the same problem with a two barrelled CG. Maxum. When I bought it I checked warranty conditions. They go with the gun not the owner! So the warranty covered the gun as long as it was serviced by CG , I think every three years. So paid for a service and the gun came back tight as hell and no loose fore end.

call CG and discuss, I found their service excellent.

Good luck

CG only warranty the mechanicals of the gun.If you have a wood problem they are not interested. My 4 year old Maxum cracked across the hand , it's never been dropped/ misused & only shot about 4K cartridges.Despite letters to U.K. Dealers & Italy I'm left with an£800 bill for a replacement stock.

Will never buy another one!

CG are excellent. A friend sent his (second hand) for a service. He had a phone call saying that his stock had a split in it, and did he want them to replace it.

He asked how much would it be and they said..........nothing (free) as it should never have split in the first place.

12 hours ago, Ayrshireshooter said:

Hi so but concerned by this. It's gradually getting more loose since I bought it 7 months ago. I took it to a gunsmith who said it was the wood and so not much you could do. He suggested but of tape which worked ok. However it's now getting more loose over time still with wobble at the end nearest the muzzle.

might need second opinion from another gunsmith? One I asked was more an assistant to be honest. 

12 hours ago, Ayrshireshooter said:

When you say the forend is coming loose and from you description I take it that it's the wood thats moving , not the forend iron itself ? These are two different things . My best advise if it is the wood , a visit to a stocker your best course as he will be able to either fix alter the wood to give abetter fit ,or, fit veneers inside the wood to give a better fit to the barrel .

11 minutes ago, London Best said:

It must have been a hell of a “gunsmith” that suggested sticking a bit of tape in it!

Reminds me of a shotgun that was given to my grandad by a priest over in Ireland. The forend was wedged with bits of newspaper and torn up beer mats.

8 hours ago, Gunman said:

When you say the forend is coming loose and from you description I take it that it's the wood thats moving , not the forend iron itself ? These are two different things . My best advise if it is the wood , a visit to a stocker your best course as he will be able to either fix alter the wood to give abetter fit ,or, fit veneers inside the wood to give a better fit to the barrel .

Only as that's what the gunsmith assistant said.

tbh I don't really trust his opinion so will be taking it to Graham McKinley next week or so.

will also need phone cg for a chat.

tbh the chequering is damaged in it too so would consider overhaul of forend at right price. 

Ring anglo Italian arms( Cesar geurini) and arrange to bring it to them or courier it to them.  It may only take 5 minutes for their gunsmith( alister is his name I think ) to sort out problem.  Or if more serious they will advise best action and carry out work at a very very reasonable price.  Do not bother sending to other various gunsmiths that will work out more expensive. They are top class customer service.  Doesn't matter what age the gun. 

28 minutes ago, Krico woodcock said:

Ring anglo Italian arms( Cesar geurini) and arrange to bring it to them or courier it to them.  It may only take 5 minutes for their gunsmith( alister is his name I think ) to sort out problem.  Or if more serious they will advise best action and carry out work at a very very reasonable price.  Do not bother sending to other various gunsmiths that will work out more expensive. They are top class customer service.  Doesn't matter what age the gun. 

Yes customer service is excellent, give them a chance to sort it before someone else lines there own pockets at your expense.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

so, as suggested i spoke to caeser Guerini whose reputation it seems is well deserved.

They first looked up the serial no of my second hand gun and explained it was a warranty gun but had never had a service. Technically they need a service every three years to keep their 10 year warranty fresh but he was relaxed about this.

anyway, he said he highly doubted it was the wood and suggested I send it to him at his expense for a checkup. If he was right I agreed to pay for a service which would include resolving the forearm issue.

apon receiving it they did full 3 year service which both resolved the problem and tightened up the rest of the gun like new. It opening was very loose before which I didn't mind tbh but it just feels so much more solid now. I think this will add confidence when I use it.

anyway, all is well now and whole thing only took one 3 days including 2 way transfer!! Serviced on same day they received it.

Edited by Ayrshireshooter