Scope question ???.

samboy

I'm thinking of getting a 6 x 42 scope because i only use 6 mag. I was told by a pal that a fixed mag scope has better glass than a 

varied mag say 4 x 12 . He reckons more is spent on the glass rather than the workings. Any truth in this ?.

Forgot to mention it will be for a .22 rimfire

Thanks all.

Edited by samboy

Yeah .to a degree . Like for like .

But most cheap scopes these days are 3- 9 x 40  s  where volume brings down price .and a 6x42 isn't so common and a bit niche  so you may end up paying a fair wedge for an average scope .

End of the day look through it and compare with other scopes   side by side .

Edited by Ultrastu

I must say I have become so used to variable scopes over the last forty years I cannot think what I would do without one. It is a personal thing thought and Untrastu hits the nail when he says check them out side by side.  I honestly don't believe the glass quality will vary that much.  I purchased a pair of Chinon binos way back in the early 80s and they where excllent.  I was out with a guide stalking in a high seat and noticed he had a pair in black where mine where green. I commented and he said his where Zeiss and a gift from a German customer. We took a careful look at both and they where identical down to the moulding lines in the rubber cover.  His at the time sold for over £500 and I paid £80 for mine.     I found out that Chinon in Japan at the time made lenses for many other companies and it looked like they also made complete binos.

Caveat emptor... or something like that.....  take a careful look at what your spending your money on.   Personally all my scopes are Hawkes and are excellent for my needs.

Edited by Walker570

All my scopes have been secondhand now I think about it. I’ve always had variable but I have always just wound them up full and left them there, so I don’t know why really. 
Leupold make some good scopes, which I’ve mostly had ( and that’s what’s in my .22 ) but I’ve had Hawke too at times and can’t fault them. Nothing wrong with fixed mag’ as long as you find the one that suits. 

8 minutes ago, bottletopbill said:

Great air rifle I have a HW35E 22 from the seventies used it yesterday at club and rat hunting bit heavy but a joy sits in safe most of time. 

Not really used mine much since buying HW77k and having it Venom tuned in 1984.