Lead ammunition consultation to launch 6 May

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a lot of chatter on here about 28s and 410s, how many folk actually own or use one? Not that many I suspect, are folk over reacting I wonder?

Would also be interesting to see how many folk actually use old UK made side by sides and are moaning that they are now allegedly redundant and worthless. There are several 2.5 inch steel loads on the market and the Danes have been doing it for years.

Yes stupid extreme/high bird shoots may fold but that would probably be a good thing for the overall public perception of shooting.

I first tried copper bullets about six years ago. I bought Nosler Eco-tips from RSD in Oxford. I think I paid £62 for just 50. They were 150 grain .308s, and loaded over 46.2 grains of Vit140 they shot to the same zero as all the other 150 grain loads I have tried, hand loads or factory. They work just fine on deer from Muntjac to Fallow.

Most of my stalking is on an FC lease so only factory loads must be used. I am currently using RWS Evo-green ammunition, which is 139 grains with a dual core bullet. Tin at the front with a copper rear. The front fragments whilst the rear copper pushes through. Faster than the 150 grain stuff and shoots about an inch higher at 100yds from my rifle. I find them a little bit like the non-tox version of SST’s, which is to say the damage is a bit extensive for my liking. And they are very expensive.

I have also tried Sako 168 grain copper and Federal 165 grain copper. Both shot one inch lower than the 150 grain stuff and both were very accurate from my rifle. But both were useless on deer unless head/neck shot, as I saw no expansion at all on chest shot Fallow.

5 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Do you have a link please ?

This was the first one that cropped up with a google, obviously check it's a 100 box. As said, I've no idea if they are any good. https://www.reloading.co.uk/lehigh-defense-match-solid-308-cal-150grn-bullet-100-pack.html

23 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Ive just noticed a strange peculiarity 😄

Made up cartridges have very little price difference between copper and lead, no idea how that works, considering the price difference with 'heads' ?

I think that's an important point.  I wonder how much more a copper bullet costs to manufacture compared to a lead core one. I think a fair bit of the price of copper bullets at the moment is down to the fact they are a low volume item, if lead is banned perhaps the copper price will drop as sales volume increases?

7 minutes ago, grahamch said:

There's a lot of chatter on here about 28s and 410s, how many folk actually own or use one? Not that many I suspect, are folk over reacting I wonder?

Would also be interesting to see how many folk actually use old UK made side by sides and are moaning that they are now allegedly redundant and worthless. There are several 2.5 inch steel loads on the market and the Danes have been doing it for years.

Yes stupid extreme/high bird shoots may fold but that would probably be a good thing for the overall public perception of shooting.

I am one who uses an old English SxS for virtually all my driven shooting. It is a 1930 built H&H and has 2.5 inch chambers. 
I am not the slightest bit concerned about a lead ban.

I also like to play with my .410’s and will not be rushing to part with those either.

21 minutes ago, grahamch said:

I don’t think legislative manoeuvres, which would cause the demise of any caliber, would be welcome. As for the 410, many have a great affection for this little gun. For a long time they have been popular as first guns for juniors - I think hence the nostalgia factor and ownership among adults revisiting their childhood. 

48 minutes ago, London Best said:

I am one who uses an old English SxS for virtually all my driven shooting. It is a 1930 built H&H and has 2.5 inch chambers. 
I am not the slightest bit concerned about a lead ban.

I also like to play with my .410’s and will not be rushing to part with those either.

Good for you. The only thing preventing me from buying another little .410 really,  is cabinet space. 
A mate has a sweet little sxs by Baikel for his youngest (10) son, and I always have a bit play with it when we get the trap out. 

i have no doubt a alternative will be found however price will be a big factor businesses will not miss an opportunity to up profits.i know of lots of shooters that shot every sunday at various grounds and the odd midwèek day some of these have dropped the midweek and one of the sundays due to the constant price rises at the moment. so if the alternatives are a higher cost ig will have a effect especially as we are going through this cost of living crisis..i do have concerns about the hse being involved as i doubt there is anyone who has not encountered some of their ridiculous rules in their work life that make things difficult and in some cases not doable.their decisions will not be based on historic evidence but on the current woke rules.ie everything we have grown up with for hundreds of years with neglible harm will not be taken into account.