Finish for old beams

12gauge82

There is a possibility the beams are elm as oak back then was very valuable for building ships of the realm. Our home was built in the early 1600s and heavily beamed throughout.  Unfortunately my parents had them varnished back in the early sixties and with otu great deal of work impossible to now alter.  If I had the time and money I would have them taken back to the bare timber and oiled.  Seen it done/finished and it was superb.   Big possibility that the beams etc where second hand and had been saved from a previous building as have ours because they have joint holes etc.  We love 'em and so do the spiders.

36 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

There is a possibility the beams are elm as oak back then was very valuable for building ships of the realm. Our home was built in the early 1600s and heavily beamed throughout.  Unfortunately my parents had them varnished back in the early sixties and with otu great deal of work impossible to now alter.  If I had the time and money I would have them taken back to the bare timber and oiled.  Seen it done/finished and it was superb.   Big possibility that the beams etc where second hand and had been saved from a previous building as have ours because they have joint holes etc.  We love 'em and so do the spiders.

What oil would you use as I want to bring the grain out, I've had them sand blasted and I think they'll need something I can spray apply as the beams in some places would be difficult to get a brush into, not to mention the time involved. 

I make cutting boards as a hobby and normally use boiled linseed oil which brings out the colour first class however ecently ran short and the only thing left in my local store was teak oil. Personally as soon as I can get a bottle of linseed oil the better.  I personally would therefore go for that. Don't see a problem with spraying as you could do that with a simple spray gun and then a brush over with a soft brush.  Heh!  that's the way I would go and feel sure there are much brainier folk on here who will have better ideas.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I make cutting boards as a hobby and normally use boiled linseed oil which brings out the colour first class however ecently ran short and the only thing left in my local store was teak oil. Personally as soon as I can get a bottle of linseed oil the better.  I personally would therefore go for that. Don't see a problem with spraying as you could do that with a simple spray gun and then a brush over with a soft brush.  Heh!  that's the way I would go and feel sure there are much brainier folk on here who will have better ideas.

BLO......when it drys will be slightly glossy............think it needs to be matt....like a clear (ish) wax.......

my opinion

never do what you cant or dont know how to reverse........BLO can only be removed with oven cleaner..........thats when it gets messy