Preventing seagulls nesting

Old Boggy

Not sure whether this is in the right section, but here goes.

My son in law currently has a problem with lesser black backed gulls nesting in a valley in his roof. We know that we cannot disturb them while nesting but what preventative measures can be taken next year or immediately after nesting? The area is about 6 feet x 4 feet.

Thanks for any replies.

OB

28 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Not sure whether this is in the right section, but here goes.

My son in law currently has a problem with lesser black backed gulls nesting in a valley in his roof. We know that we cannot disturb them while nesting but what preventative measures can be taken next year or immediately after nesting? The area is about 6 feet x 4 feet.

Thanks for any replies.

OB

Evening Chris .....  Yarmouth have a minor problem with Seagulls nesting in the 6 inch guttering on the industrial buildings and then the young ones walking on the payments and the roads , plus the notorious ones on the market place nicking the chips out of the kiddies hands , but Lowertoft have a major problem , the gulls nest on the window sills on many of the buildings , the windows have fine mesh nets over them and every now and again the fire brigade have to come and release them , they also have spikes glued on to the sills but they still mange to nest , at Yarmouth they have got those kites that are shaped like a hawk and they soon get used to them and simply pay no attention , years ago we would have resorted to the simple saying , prevention is better than cure , if any had started to nest on our window sill then they would had found it not one of the healthiest places to had picked , we also had a minor problem at the village school with seagulls messing in the play ground , at the time they still had the flood siren on the roof and a few minutes of that going off soon kept them away .

So the prevention is , netting , but be careful they don't get caught up , a kite shaped like a hawk , small round pieces of lead , which is now illegal , or a flood siren :lol: 

Thank you Minky. The spike things seem to be the way forward.

Billythegillie - High velocity lead poisoning once a cure, is unfortunately, out of the question.

Marshman - I think the only practical solution are rows of spikes glued to the valley. I do like the idea of a flood siren John, but being about 50 feet above sea level they are few and far between these days.😂

OB

With tongue in cheek. .. The #6 is effective but can be temporary. You know that shooting out of Windows or if the lead lands outside you ground is a non starter and would probably result in a visit.  Another potential problem with sploging something as big as that is the possibility of it ending up in the valley. Now something that big is going to be a rotting mess with hundreds of blowflies around the house.  Something that would be suitable for kwis.  So you might get up there on a ladder but what happens when theres another one in a couple of days

36 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Thank you Minky. The spike things seem to be the way forward.

Billythegillie - High velocity lead poisoning once a cure, is unfortunately, out of the question.

Marshman - I think the only practical solution are rows of spikes glued to the valley. I do like the idea of a flood siren John, but being about 50 feet above sea level they are few and far between these days.😂

OB

Silly me , I totally forgot that some places are actually just above , or even well above sea level , before we had the flood defense raised a few times over the years we would often see the waves and spray coming over the top of the old flood defense wall , the passage way ran down towards our school and we would be watching the trickle of water coming towards the playground , this would be the time when the siren would be switched on and to warn the parents to come and pick the kids up , even now they still test the siren out two or three times a year and would warn the villages it is only a exercise when they do it .