Jump to content

Tesco finest bacon.


samboy
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi gang.

                I bought a packet of this and it is as thin a fag paper and a complete waste of money.  Quite tasteless too.

                Lesson learnt don't take Tesco's finest as being any good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

most supermakets buy to a budget.....its insipid and thin ..and cheap.....end of

go to your local butcher and pay a bit more for bacon........local butchers do vary...i get thick smoked streaky which needs no oil when cooked and with a couple of barn fresg eggs is to die for............also great for wrapping homemade faggots in :good:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, ditchman said:

most supermakets buy to a budget.....its insipid and thin ..and cheap.....end of

go to your local butcher and pay a bit more for bacon........local butchers do vary...i get thick smoked streaky which needs no oil when cooked and with a couple of barn fresg eggs is to die for............also great for wrapping homemade faggots in :good:

do you put ginger into the faggots

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

do you put ginger into the faggots

im the producer not the end user...all my ginger futures have been bought up by someone in Tipton...they like it up there:w00t:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mgsontour said:

Jonty ( a member on here ) got me started making my own after a similar rant by me. Pretty easy to be honest once you know how if your interested?

some of the bacon over the years that some members have posted up on here looked totally mouth watering

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Makes me laugh when you see the label THICK CUT.  I by our bacon now...or my wife does... from our local farm shop and it is sourced locally  ...ok not dry cured but still genuine thick cut as bacon should be and choice of smoked or unsmoked.  ALL supermarket bacon is the same probably from the same factory as so much stuff is, just packed and labelled as required.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

some of the bacon over the years that some members have posted up on here looked totally mouth watering

I've never bought any since making my own, I make about a 1lb at a time and give a few slices to my neighbours so never feel over faced but can tell you the waiting around for the next batch when it is nearly ready is certainly a test of any mans willpower

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, derbyduck said:

do you put ginger into the faggots

You just had to mention the ginger didn't you 😄.

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

im the producer not the end user...all my ginger futures have been bought up by someone in Tipton...they like it up there

Like it up there what ???😁.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mgsontour said:

I've never bought any since making my own, I make about a 1lb at a time and give a few slices to my neighbours so never feel over faced but can tell you the waiting around for the next batch when it is nearly ready is certainly a test of any mans willpower

Really glad to hear you’re doing so well with the bacon production mate 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Jonty said:

Really glad to hear you’re doing so well with the bacon production mate 👍

Everyone likes it, don't do anything elaborate just the simple recipe and take the loin back to the butcher for slicing as you suggested.

Cheers again.

PS have been doing that reverse searing too with the steaks with marvellous success ( wife even impressed )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The best bacon we have found  is Lidl's thick cut. It is genuinely thick cut compared to most these days and its really good.

Did you know that in the middle ages people used urine to cure their bacon? Salt was too expensive for most people.

It must have given it an interesting flavour.

So when you see bacon advertised as "traditionally cured"   be careful

Edited by Vince Green
Link to comment
Share on other sites

bought some streaky from the local butchers...(priors of dersingham)

i will be making faggots for sunday.....well they are more like "Has-fags"...cross between haslet and faggots...and will be glazed with a honey/recurrant mix glaze....then the juices will be added to the onion gravy..and served with mash and marrowfat peas......

i will be using chicken livers for the faggot mix with fresh cut herbs and loads of bread crumb mix...onions...blak pepper..keep it simple...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Ginger reminds me: growlergate seems to have 'dried up' now the elections are done with. 🙂

they are on booze gate starmer now

with what they eat and drink dont they ever get the squits...............thenthere could be squitgate....then the police will be tracking down the offenders using anal swabs........and the SUN will be doing wizzo headlines and puns

Edited by ditchman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/05/2022 at 20:19, ditchman said:

bought some streaky from the local butchers...(priors of dersingham)

i will be making faggots for sunday.....well they are more like "Has-fags"...cross between haslet and faggots...and will be glazed with a honey/recurrant mix glaze....then the juices will be added to the onion gravy..and served with mash and marrowfat peas......

i will be using chicken livers for the faggot mix with fresh cut herbs and loads of bread crumb mix...onions...blak pepper..keep it simple...

Was it good?? you made my mouth water with that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, discobob said:

Was it good?? you made my mouth water with that.

i have just finished it..............definatly a great success this time...gravy was perfect....just used bisto oinion granuals and added the dripping from the faggot dish

i used half stuffing mix and half dried bread (crumbed).........if i had used all stuffing miss it would have been too herby........

dead chuffed with that...try it.........very very simple........50 mins in the oven at180 degs...:good:

use plain pork minze..

Edited by ditchman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ditchman said:

i have just finished it..............definatly a great success this time...gravy was perfect....just used bisto oinion granuals and added the dripping from the faggot dish

i used half stuffing mix and half dried bread (crumbed).........if i had used all stuffing miss it would have been too herby........

dead chuffed with that...try it.........very very simple........50 mins in the oven at180 degs...:good:

use plain pork minze..

They sound superb Ditchy, did you wrap them in the bacon to impart moisture into the chicken livers and pork? I love faggots, funny enough since you mentioned them it came to my mind that I have not eaten any for years. Strange how you can just stop eating something that you once used to eat not too infrequently and forget about that food.

Ahh you done it now, I won't be satiated until I have some faggots. With buttery mash and pan fried carrots. Drool!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, ditchman said:

i have just finished it..............definatly a great success this time...gravy was perfect....just used bisto oinion granuals and added the dripping from the faggot dish

i used half stuffing mix and half dried bread (crumbed).........if i had used all stuffing miss it would have been too herby........

dead chuffed with that...try it.........very very simple........50 mins in the oven at180 degs...:good:

use plain pork minze..

I would love to - but despite me continuing to be in the good books (and still checking my food for "extra flavoring") I can't even mention the word "faggots" around her

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...