Would this work in traps ?

30-6

One of the best tunnel trap locations using fenn 4's I have for rats unbaited in a farmyard is on a water trough. Other locations sometimes need a baited trap , which I like to try different baits. 

Has anyone tried water as bait ? I was thinking a cap off a coffee jar or similar in a blind tunnel set up, so rat has to cross the trigger plate. I imagine they can smell / sense water.

Food, water and shelter, rat heaven. Any thoughts ?

2 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

At the stables I use to use sections of Mars Bars to good effect.

Going slightly off the species , I did read in one of the Pigeon shooting books about decoying around water drinkers , the type cattle use , I have never done it and don't know of anyone who have .

Have you tried it ? , and what are your thoughts about decoying around areas used for drinking ? .

31 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Going slightly off the species , I did read in one of the Pigeon shooting books about decoying around water drinkers , the type cattle use , I have never done it and don't know of anyone who have .

Have you tried it ? , and what are your thoughts about decoying around areas used for drinking ? .

I have shot pigeon coming to a trough a few times, but never needed decoys.

7 hours ago, London Best said:

Yes, very hot weather when pigeons had been feeding on barley.

Yes , Pigeons along with most forms of wild life needs water and like you say they need it more in very hot weather , this could be the reason that a lot of Pigeons , not all as some members will say they have shot them all day long in very hot weather  , will stay in the shade of the leaves in the woods until the sun start to dip , it would also make a difference with the amount of water on offer , we have got miles and miles of marshland that hold livestock in the Summer months and the dyke level is raised to let the animals drink from the marsh without going into the dyke , the dyke level would be the same around the crop fields so the Pigeons have got a choice to go wherever they want to quench there thirst , so waiting for them on the marshland around a watering hole wouldn't be very productive .

• 3 weeks later...

An update, after a couple of weeks in a blind tunnel in a ratty area with droppings, there has been no interest in the water bait.

On the plus side, about 2 yds away, I noticed moss growing on some wooden sleepers had been scratched loose. Between the sleepers and a wall there was a little opening, put a fenn 4 sunk into the ground covered in a bit of moss outside, put some wire mesh over the top and made the entrance rat size with stones holding it down. First night had a catch.