Jackdaw / Sparrow

steve_b_wales

We have a tall and relatively dense privet used by the small brown jobs to nest, and this this time of year there are regularly both crows and jacks "working" it for fledglings.  Unfortunately we cannot permanently discourage as the hedge is only 20 from a fairly main road.:no:

Some years ago i watched a Carrion Crow take an unsuspecting adult Collared Dove off its nest in the conifer at the bottom of my garden.  Grabbing it by its neck it managed to fly about 15 yards back to the roof top from where it came, only just making the gutter level. It dragged it up the roof then pulled it to pieces as if it was a hawk.

I fed the kennel dogs in the garden and the moment i put a bowl down theres crows and seagulls on the roof waitting to help themselves 

I have a few birdboxes in the garden and from my seat i can see a blue tit bulding a nest in one its struggling to get in with a mouthful of straw as theres no perch to land on ,on the outside of the box its too late to put one on this year maybe next year ?. But ive a feeling that might saw the fledgelings from a magpie or crow reaching in ?. 

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

Chickens are nasty creatures, when i was a kid we spent our summer holidays on a cousins farm, i had seen dozens of hens kill one of there own because it was unwell, they literally pecked it to bits.  

thats why they put spectacles on turkeys...and cut their beaks...

I once saw a magpie chase after a sparrow on the wing,  knock it to the ground, then drop on top of it and peck it to death. 

They initially flew past me at arms length, the magpie so fixated on the little sparrow it completely ignored me. another 15 yards and it was all over.

13 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

I fed the kennel dogs in the garden and the moment i put a bowl down theres crows and seagulls on the roof waitting to help themselves 

I have a few birdboxes in the garden and from my seat i can see a blue tit bulding a nest in one its struggling to get in with a mouthful of straw as theres no perch to land on ,on the outside of the box its too late to put one on this year maybe next year ?. But ive a feeling that might saw the fledgelings from a magpie or crow reaching in ?. 

Perches are not a good idea on a birdbox, most hole nesting birds prefer to fly straight to the entrance, perches allow predators a foothold, another good idea is to have at least a 50mm overhang on the roof of the birdbox on the side with the entrance hole, this can deter anything reaching in from the top.

50 minutes ago, royden said:

Some years ago i watched a Carrion Crow take an unsuspecting adult Collared Dove off its nest in the conifer at the bottom of my garden.  Grabbing it by its neck it managed to fly about 15 yards back to the roof top from where it came, only just making the gutter level. It dragged it up the roof then pulled it to pieces as if it was a hawk.

My old office used to look over cables running between two buildings, every year I watched Carrions taking young Swallows off them whilst flying they got very good at it always coming from behind.

4 hours ago, Dougy said:

Chickens are nasty creatures, when i was a kid we spent our summer holidays on a cousins farm, i had seen dozens of hens kill one of there own because it was unwell, they literally pecked it to bits.  

They are just little velociraptors... i once watched one of my hens stamp and peck a mouse to death. Then all 4 of them spent 5 minutes playing tug of war with it - fully intending to eat it, until i took it off them...

The worst I saw was 2 horrible looking seagulls sitting on the roof of my grannies house tormenting the starlings and garden birds, not sure what they got hold of but whatever bird it was got pummelled to death and they tore it up and then just flew off.

If there was 1 type of bird I think deserves to be shot on sight its damn seagulls 

1 hour ago, steve s×s said:

All good informative posts but you're preaching to the converted, this subject should be somehow made public ie on tv so the no brainers are shown the Truth or is this to much to ask for 🙄

I'm afraid the TV companies will never make a programme showing this type of information, or domestic cat songbird killings (27,000,000) per Spring/Summer in the UK, and that's an RSPB figure !, House Sparrow, Robin, Blue tit and Blackbird being the favourite playthings............they rarely eat them, just traumatise them to death.

The truth hurts, there you go, that would be a good name for the programme😁.

All the best.

most birds will eat meat.......it is rocket fuel protien.......dont forget even the humble tit family will go mad over a lump of beef suet fat on a wire.......all little squabs are fed on caterpilliars ..flies bugs.............chimpanzee monkeys will kill other monkeys for protien

lifes a bitch aint it

21 hours ago, steve s×s said:

All good informative posts but you're preaching to the converted, this subject should be somehow made public ie on tv so the no brainers are shown the Truth or is this to much to ask for 🙄

So true, yet that bunch of muppets on the board of Natural Resources Wales still saw fit to remove magpies, jays and jackdaws from the Welsh GL for the protection of birds, even red-listed birds.

1 hour ago, Bobba said:

So true, yet that bunch of muppets on the board of Natural Resources Wales still saw fit to remove magpies, jays and jackdaws from the Welsh GL for the protection of birds, even red-listed birds.

Just a revelation of the reality that these bods don't understand or give a fig, probably driven behind the scenes by green idiots? 

?