Tips on Ticks

zipdog

Seresto collars are very good, almost water resistant as well. They last a good eight months depending on if you can keep your dog out of water.

I spray the Lab with diluted tea tree on his chest and front legs before a walk through the woods. It certainly works!  

21 hours ago, worrall26 said:

My terrier had one just above his nose today. Sat with him for a while, got thumb and finger underneath it. quick pull all out.

I was always told to twist them, otherwise the legs can be left in the dog and cause a problem.

Legs?! 🤔

The danger of incorrect tick removal is that the mouthpart remains tapped in to the blood vessel, with a certain amount of the rest of the tick's body attached to it.  If the tick contains pathogens these can then get introduced to the host's bloodstream.

Tick removal tools cost only a few pounds and they are virtually 100% effective if used correctly.

11 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

Legs?! 🤔

The danger of incorrect tick removal is that the mouthpart remains tapped in to the blood vessel, with a certain amount of the rest of the tick's body attached to it.  If the tick contains pathogens these can then get introduced to the host's bloodstream.

Tick removal tools cost only a few pounds and they are virtually 100% effective if used correctly.

👍

Never burn them off and avoid squeezing them. As Jim alludes, poor removal increases the infection risk.

Nexgaurd spectra for my sprocker as always in the thick stuff 

tic removal tool is on standby but not required so far for my dog but used on my sisters dog numerous times

Like the idea of broveco once a quarter- will as next time her prescription is due ! And interested that your vet chary£25 for issuing a prescription ! 

Agriv8

On 06/05/2022 at 08:45, snow white said:

Bravecto but buy it of eBay with prescription from vets works out lot cheaper our vet wants £49 per tablet eBay £19 per tablet then prescription from our vet is £24 so 19 x 4 =76 plus 24  =100  4 times  49=196 saving of 96 

On 06/05/2022 at 08:45, snow white said:

Bravecto but buy it of eBay with prescription from vets works out lot cheaper our vet wants £49 per tablet eBay £19 per tablet then prescription from our vet is £24 so 19 x 4 =76 plus 24  =100  4 times  49=196 saving of 96 

Spot on advice. Make sure that weigh your dog first. Differing dogs sizes require differing doses