Pigeon decoys.

2 hours ago, berthaboo said:

I have been away from pigeon shooting for a while, so much so my old decoys are the old flexicoys.

What are the top go to decoys these days as I am looking to up grade my felxicoys as they are a bit old battered and heavy.

I still use my flexicoys and find they take some beating , I agree they are a bit heavy but if you are reasonably fit you should be able to carry up to a dozen fairly easy , mine get a yearly Spring clean when they are washed in warm soapy water , and when dry the White wing and neck bars get a lick of fresh White undercoat , these are now ready for the whole Summer when they get chucked about , at times shot at and still work as they were meant to all the years back when I first spent my hard earnt money , looking back they were a good investment and have paid for themselves many times over .

If you've got decoys, you've got decoys,  until you've been out and tried them you aren't going to know how their seen by other pigeons.  If the place is right and you can shoot,  then the incoming shouldn't notice. people have used all sorts of stuff to make decoys out of.  And they've worked.

See the enforcers are back in stock now, just ordered some , 79 quid delivered.

Had some a few years ago and found them pretty good, but carried around in big bag and rubbed together causing them to have a slight shine, but do prefer these full bodied when I don't have any in freezer.

On 14/05/2022 at 09:15, ronny said:

See the enforcers are back in stock now, just ordered some , 79 quid delivered.

Had some a few years ago and found them pretty good, but carried around in big bag and rubbed together causing them to have a slight shine, but do prefer these full bodied when I don't have any in freezer.

Hi   ronny .... I might well be out of touch when it come to be buying decoys , well come to think about it I am well out of touch as most of my spare decoys have been given to me when the owners called it a day .

When you said you ordered some at 79 quid delivered , for how many ?Please don't tell me that was for one , if that was the case I would have to buy one in a once a month kit form and put it all together when I get the last piece , last year I got 10p for my frozen Pigeons , at that money I would need to take up 790 to the dealers and that is without fuel , sadly my state pension is not quite up to buying decoys at at that sort of money neither , being a ole skin flint , the pub where I sell some pigeons now keep me the decent carcase after they remove the breasts , these are frozen and taken out the freezer the night before I use them , recycling at it's best :lol:

22 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Hi   ronny .... I might well be out of touch when it come to be buying decoys , well come to think about it I am well out of touch as most of my spare decoys have been given to me when the owners called it a day .

When you said you ordered some at 79 quid delivered , for how many ?Please don't tell me that was for one , if that was the case I would have to buy one in a once a month kit form and put it all together when I get the last piece , last year I got 10p for my frozen Pigeons , at that money I would need to take up 790 to the dealers and that is without fuel , sadly my state pension is not quite up to buying decoys at at that sort of money neither , being a ole skin flint , the pub where I sell some pigeons now keep me the decent carcase after they remove the breasts , these are frozen and taken out the freezer the night before I use them , recycling at it's best 

Some in sales still boxed. 

£50.

16 hours ago, marsh man said:

Still not tempting me , but THANKS for the heads up:drinks:

😊

As I've said many times. 

Emperors new cloths. 

Most decoys do the job for a lot less money .

Some days nothing works that's all part of the challenge. 

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

What are peoples thoughts on Silosocks? Bought some at a game fair the other month, used them for the first time on wheat stubble last Saturday. They are huge and not especially realistic, birds didn't flare off, a few actually decoyed in, but a lot just drifted left or right of them with no interest. Conditions were sunny and a pretty strong wind.

wild birds do wild things. I have good days and bad days with everything ive tried, but could be me, could be shooting pressure, could be avalibility of food but i find decoying is getting harder i feel im getting a lower average than i did even 5 or 6 years ago. yet my roost shooting results has improved drastically..

was out sunday for 2 hours, magnet on a  stubble field when everything in a good radius hasnt beed cut yet. with a full decoy spread and very well hidden hide under an ash tree  nice breeze behind me and sun out but not too hot, day really had potential, i planned to stay out all day and i blanked out. i only stayed out so long becasue i had the football on my phone.  not the first time ive completley blanked out in recent years either. ive tried scouting out the area around my permission a few times and nothing stands out or birds in great numbers  anywhere.

Got all the gear but my plan and my advice to anyone in my area whould be get a dozen cheap shells, some spare fiberglass tent poles cut to a usable length and one of them clear view net things that kinda only work in the shade and make a very basic very very lightweight setup that can leave in the car and get out little and often.  100% the most enjoyable way to pigeon shoot for me. im borderline done with the big planned days humping mountings of stuff back and forth from the car.

1 hour ago, Sweet11-87 said:

Got all the gear but my plan and my advice to anyone in my area whould be get a dozen cheap shells, some spare fiberglass tent poles cut to a usable length and one of them clear view net things that kinda only work in the shade and make a very basic very very lightweight setup that can leave in the car and get out little and often.  100% the most enjoyable way to pigeon shoot for me. im borderline done with the big planned days humping mountings of stuff back and forth from the car.

I must agree with you, having blanked a few times just this year alone I think the birds are overshot and more aware. A recce now means little as the moment you put in an appearance they're often gone for the day.

My kit now consists of 5 cradles, a flapper, lightweight net, ammo, and water/food. On the moment I'll either add two full bodied crows or a max of 6 pigeon half shells and sprung stakes.  Often still too much and I'll adjust according to weight and distance. 

Recently the best days have been sat on the ground in reasonable cover, (I use a fishing unhooking mat if wet) no net, no decoys and just waiting under the flightline. Leave the birds where they fall and absolutely keep still untill the last possible second.

13 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I must agree with you, having blanked a few times just this year alone I think the birds are overshot and more aware. A recce now means little as the moment you put in an appearance they're often gone for the day.

My kit now consists of 5 cradles, a flapper, lightweight net, ammo, and water/food. On the moment I'll either add two full bodied crows or a max of 6 pigeon half shells and sprung stakes.  Often still too much and I'll adjust according to weight and distance. 

Recently the best days have been sat on the ground in reasonable cover, (I use a fishing unhooking mat if wet) no net, no decoys and just waiting under the flightline. Leave the birds where they fall and absolutely keep still untill the last possible second.

You really need to get yourself a runner who you could teach decoying to and in return he could carry your stuff.    :cool1:

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You really need to get yourself a runner who you could teach decoying to and in return he could carry your stuff.    

I have my son who carries all the gear and those are the only days we put out magnets, bouncers, flappers, and a full pattern. As for teaching, I have still so much to learn because often even the dumbest of birds outsmart me🤣

One of the biggest problems at the moment is the abundance of five star food for both young and old Pigeons , this might not be the case for everyone but we are in a grain growing area and now for a lot of farmers and landowners the harvest is finished for some and nearly finished for the others , we have got stubble fields that stretch for nearly three miles , some have bales on , in stubble , diced , fodder beet now coming through the stubble , rape have now been directed drilled and fields that are being worked all over the place .

You can watch a field for a few days and maybe 50 / 75 are feeding on the field with a few more in the trees , if any bales are still on the field I like to set up against one in the middle of the field so there is a nice lot of space all around , one good thing about the large oblong bales is there is a lot of space from one to another , sometimes I will take two dead uns to put on the floaters , or just start with static decoys and put the first two shot on the floaters and my dog bring back what few I shoot back to the hide , I start off with low expectations and time wise I am about the same as JDog who manage to keep shooting good numbers in two hours , the amount of time might be about the same , number wise we are miles apart and as long as my dog get a few retrieves then I am more than happy to past a pleasant couple of hours in the countryside , my own findings is shooting Pigeons now is nothing like it was say 10 years ago , we have got numbers but not good numbers .  MM