Happy tail

Hi all just wondering if anyone on here has had a lab or working dog that has suffered from happy tail syndrome?

I ask this as my bitch has just recently suffered really badly from it to the point she had to loose just over half her tail so at the moment plenty rest pain relief and antibiotics for her 

My other question is if anyone has been through similar has it affected there dog in the long run and have you still been able to work them? 

Tia

Have had the problem with three out of thirteen labs over the years. 
The vet wanted to amputate in one case but I refused and cured the poorly end of the tail by making her wear a coke bottle strapped on with duct tape. It was a very long process, had to watch her constantly and took six months before the tail healed.

Had it with a number of labs over the years. Always eventually sorted itself out without veterinary input but it does take time. As long as it doesn’t get infected will eventually heal naturally and can help with spray on antiseptic plaster.

As I only have yellow dogs it always looks awful with blood down the flanks.

Try Springers - my boys ESS (Bear) doesn't have a docked tail and its a right mess, virtually purple and black on the end. continually catching on brambles and rocks and furniture, vet has said it needs to be docked and the insurance will cover. My ESS with a docked tail has no issues but is as livelly in the brambles as Bear.

12 hours ago, smokingdragon said:

Try Springers - my boys ESS (Bear) doesn't have a docked tail and its a right mess, virtually purple and black on the end. continually catching on brambles and rocks and furniture, vet has said it needs to be docked and the insurance will cover. My ESS with a docked tail has no issues but is as livelly in the brambles as Bear.

That is exactly how my girls tail was a inch was black 

I wasn't lucky enough with insurance though as wasn't aware my wife had cancelled the policy we did have for her 

Yes, my old choccy lab split his but not too badly. Sprayed it with some purple stuff we used on cows udders if they got cut or badly scratched and tried to keep him sorrowful for a couple of weeks and thankfully it healed well. If you have ever been smacked by a big labs tail acorss the shins you realise how easy it is for them to damage it.  Hope all goes well.   I thought the coke bottle idea was superb.....typical of the man:good:

10 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yes, my old choccy lab split his but not too badly. Sprayed it with some purple stuff we used on cows udders if they got cut or badly scratched and tried to keep him sorrowful for a couple of weeks and thankfully it healed well. If you have ever been smacked by a big labs tail acorss the shins you realise how easy it is for them to damage it.  Hope all goes well.   I thought the coke bottle idea was superb.....typical of the man:good:

Yep when the tail hits it hurts lol i tried what i could to help it repair and to keep her still she had also not long had her first litter and kept splitting it on the pen when going in and out to feed the pups 

She has been to the vets this morning for a post op check after her surgery Friday and the surgeon who did it is very happy with how she is starting to heal just looks strange seeing a lab with a stumpy tail just glad she is on the mend