Buying cartridges ???.

Hi gang.

For years now i have been buying my clay cartridges 1500/2000 at a time. But i'm thinking of just getting them at my clubs now.

Reason being i have to drive to the shop, lug them to the car, drive home, lug them indoors so i think i will change my system.

Any comments ?.

Thanks all. 

Just now, samboy said:

Hi gang.

For years now i have been buying my clay cartridges 1500/2000 at a time. But i'm thinking of just getting them at my clubs now.

Reason being i have to drive to the shop, lug them to the car, drive home, lug them indoors so i think i will change my system.

Any comments ?.

Thanks all. 

You will pay more per cartridge!

10 hours ago, Lever357 said:

I just tried to place an order for 33,000 cartridges as a group purchase, through two local gunshops. One offered £4 discount per thousand, the other??? Not a penny, same price as if you bought 1,000 over the counter.

Then I would suggest you cast your net a little further, someone will want your custom.

11 hours ago, Lever357 said:

I just tried to place an order for 33,000 cartridges as a group purchase, through two local gunshops. One offered £4 discount per thousand, the other??? Not a penny, same price as if you bought 1,000 over the counter.

Have you tried manufacturers direct. 

Most gun shops wouldn't buy that many a year. 

For me it's a 40 minute round trip, and probably costs about £6-8 in fuel and then my time.

I bought 1 box at my local ground for £8 as I was short, so £320 a thou when scaled up. I can buy the same ones for about £260-270 in the shop. I'd say that's worth an hour of my day and some fuel :)

Best bet is to buy in quantities of over 1,000 from a clay ground your journeying to shoot at…..if at all possible. 

If they don’t sell your favourite flavour of the month - you either buy what’s there or burn more diesel chasing your favourite. They’re the choices. 

21 hours ago, Lever357 said:

Try Empire cartridges they occasionally come on here.

1 hour ago, B725 said:

Try Empire cartridges they occasionally come on here.

I did consider that but too much of an unknown quantity. No one has tried them, it was bad enough getting some to agree to buy Gamebore instead of Fiocchi!!!

3 hours ago, TIDES EDGE said:

Why not order from Just Cartridges they will deliver to your door.

THE most expensive place to buy cartridges PLUS delivery

22 hours ago, Stephen-H said:

33,000!! do you own a clay ground or all just really **** shots!?

No, that was to be split between 17 of us

58 minutes ago, Lever357 said:

I did consider that but too much of an unknown quantity. No one has tried them, it was bad enough getting some to agree to buy Gamebore instead of Fiocchi!!!

33k is the standard quantity you get on a pallet, right?  Right?  I'd be finding that out first before approaching anyone.  Frankly I'm not surprised a gunshop didn't want to know, low margin and they're not likely to have that kind of storage space.

And I'd give JC a call and negotiate.  Assuming you bought a pallet's worth should be a nice deal for them.  Have the manufacturer 'drop ship' straight to you, and they take a cut?  Money for old rope.

1 hour ago, Lever357 said:

Which tight fisted so and so only wanted 1,000? :whistling:

For 33k I'd be inclined to speak to Gamebore after all, you've nothing to lose. 

And the OP has found out that trying to buy in bulk is not as easy as you might think.

Trying to get 17 people to agree on a shell is like herding cats.

I have in the past only managed to get five of us to agree on a bulk buy.

But these days it is me and my shooting Mate and we go for 12000 at a time.

In my sunday group, one guy will happily buy 2-3k. I'd happily match. Another guy only wants hull superfast and is happy to buy by the slab, and another just comes with "mystery carts" from the depths of his store. 

But, if there was a good pricebreak on 10k I'd love that and would make it work.

I need to find someone who gets a regular mole valley farmer discount voucher. Even though they're more expensive, with 10-15% off they then become very affordable.

9 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

In my sunday group, one guy will happily buy 2-3k. I'd happily match. Another guy only wants hull superfast and is happy to buy by the slab, and another just comes with "mystery carts" from the depths of his store. 

But, if there was a good pricebreak on 10k I'd love that and would make it work.

I need to find someone who gets a regular mole valley farmer discount voucher. Even though they're more expensive, with 10-15% off they then become very affordable.

But the problem I have with Mole Valley is that they rarely have much in stock or anyone who knows what shotgun cartridges are.

I have in the past cleared them out of anything worth having, but it is hard work as they seem unwilling to sell them.

23 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

But the problem I have with Mole Valley is that they rarely have much in stock or anyone who knows what shotgun cartridges are.

I have in the past cleared them out of anything worth having, but it is hard work as they seem unwilling to sell them.

Mole are hopeless. They seem to price them per box and panic if you ask for a thousand, as though it’s absurd to sell that many….?! I have on occasion had to buy a slab of pigeon cart’s from them - but only as a last resort. 

4 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yup, I have had a similar issue when buying 4000 from them (are you sure you want 16 boxes?! They're big and heavy!) but 10% off was too good to be true at the time. The store manager had to come over to "approve" us buying so much. But, is it worth the hassle to get 10% off? Yarp.

6 hours ago, HantsRob said:

Let me guess! 
Does the man with “mystery cartridges” regularly shoot rings round the rest of the group?