Revised an old setup from the past

boo

Many moons ago before commercial units where they are now today, used to tinker with your own , I've gone through boxes of stuff I had, revised a screen set up , not to everyone's taste but it works well & cheap for its performance level! The dsa is a cobra merlin, Marky delrin housing for an e700 camera/16mm lens , the main body is a somebloke box, 5 inch screen , 12v lithium battery, dimmer,on/off ,1 amp buck driver ,run through a filter to stop any signal interface on the screen, the I.r is a vscel 850 diode ,I reflowed onto a golden dragon pub, it sits in a custom housing on a solid pill , fitted with a 25mm cctv lens , give better performance than the yukon & a lot lighter! It works really well on a scope, better image than a pard , I fitted it on a delta titanium 4-30 x50 ,easily mag past 20 , very shootable past 300yds or down to 20yds ! Not every one's cuppa, but it's cheap ,works ,easily fixable, makes a good back up unit.

20220508_180028.jpg

20220508_180012.jpg

20220508_175944.jpg

20220503_143743.heic

20220503_143743.heic

Edited by boo

It's one of Daves boxes , they were all pretty generic , just different takes on dsa & internals people used ,dave used 18650 cells ,this one uses 12v lithium, also uses a 12v buck driver for the I.r, instead of 3 modes ,it's fully dimmable, if you want to kill the I.r , big difference in performance is the vscel diode& cctv lens , far better than the old osram & t38/50 aspheric lens

On & off the rifle, what we were using about 15 years ago , just uprated the I.r , tried it the other night, conditions good , you could easily shoot at 300yds if yo wanted to with it , it's a better picture than the pard , not a drone ! Not every ones cup of tea , but comfortable to shoot with, cheapish & easily fixable, good back up unit

20220513_114307.jpg

20220513_114428.jpg

Side view , it actually looks & feels better on the rifle 

20220513_114439.jpg

Hello, that looks good, how do you find the LOP, I had to use a 1 inch slip on rubber butt Pad and forward mounts, , but did not find ideal so went back to my old photon , it's a good set up if you can shoot from a vehicle but not trampling around the fields at night 🤔🙄

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Shooting position is not like looking down a scope , as long as you keep the rifle steady ,just look at the screen, stock length ont an issue on this one as its a grs , fully adjustable, handy if using a pard 007 , or getting perfect cheek weld & position on a day scope 

I find the heads up type best when shooting from a bipod or other rest such as a high seat, gate etc. In fact I have the forestock nestled in my quiet petrol 4wd door mirror bracket with an arm out the window and don't use a cheek rest.

Luckily my perm's are all golf or grazing now so I can basically steer the car and rifle till the quarry is about centred in the 7" remote screen from the thermal roof spotter facing straight ahead. Thus I need no lights anywhere till I'm in a prime shooting position, and those E700 camera based rigs don't need illuminators for subsonic ranges if there's half decent overhead moon and only thin cloud or none.

I've overshot my perms (only rabbit now) so can choose to leave sorties till the right conditions - that suits someone with breathing issues in cold damp air. 

Edited by Dave-G