Miami F1

chrisjpainter

So Max wins again. Not a bad race, but it needed a safety car to really kickstart it. Verstappen was SO much faster on the straights! Ironically, all he had to do was make sure Le Clerc couldn't get him anywhere else, then wait for the DRS section, because even with it open, Le Clerc fell back!

The Mercs picked up some good points too - but Russell's still beating Hamilton. Could he be only the third teammate ever to beat Hamilton over a season?

Not really a Hamilton Fan , but hope George does well .  I've watched F1 avidly  since before the Mansell era , but paying SKY all that money just to have some Aussie bloke in an office break his own rules, and award the world title to a driver was a step too far for me.

So i have switched to Formula E. 

I can't justify paying the extortionate fees to watch F1 on Sky (and I've tried the hooky methods which I just can't seem to make work!).  So I'm stuck with what C4 can do for me.  On the whole it's pretty good but this evening I'm absolutely fuming!  I wasn't going to stay up until 2am on a Sunday night to see the broadcast on air so I did my usual thing - complete media blackout with the intention of watching the show on All4 this evening, after I've got the rug rat into bed.  Now I've found that the race highlights haven't been put on All4! :mad:

So of course, if you do a bit of googling or try to look on Facebook, guess what happens..... you stumble across the race result :mad:

I still can't find out why the race highlights aren't on All4.  I've had to watch F1's own "highlights" at just under 8 minutes long already knowing the result :mad:

From the limited footage I saw, it didn't look like Max actually had to display too many heroics - the Red Bull simply looked the faster package at the Miami track.  By all accounts it was an absolute horror of a track for the drivers to race on.  The lack of overtaking and "proper" racing was quite evident.  I guess this is a modern Monaco - all about the glitz and glamour of the "event" rather than providing proper racing action for the fans.

On 08/05/2022 at 22:26, chrisjpainter said:

Russell's still beating Hamilton. Could he be only the third teammate ever to beat Hamilton over a season?

As I understand it, during the safety car period Lewis stayed out on old tyres and George pitted for fresh ones, thus allowing him to pass Lewis and finish one place ahead.  I think if they were on equal tyres they would have held station the way they were.

I wouldn't be counting any chickens just yet.  I think Lewis is the car they're trying different things with to dig themselves out of the hole they're in, and so far it's often meant he's not come out favourably compared to George.  As and when they do get the car talking to them properly I still think Lewis has a trick or two to teach George.

18 minutes ago, Jim Neal said:

I can't justify paying the extortionate fees to watch F1 on Sky (and I've tried the hooky methods which I just can't seem to make work!).  So I'm stuck with what C4 can do for me.  On the whole it's pretty good but this evening I'm absolutely fuming!  I wasn't going to stay up until 2am on a Sunday night to see the broadcast on air so I did my usual thing - complete media blackout with the intention of watching the show on All4 this evening, after I've got the rug rat into bed.  Now I've found that the race highlights haven't been put on All4! :mad:

So of course, if you do a bit of googling or try to look on Facebook, guess what happens..... you stumble across the race result :mad:

I still can't find out why the race highlights aren't on All4.  I've had to watch F1's own "highlights" at just under 8 minutes long already knowing the result :mad:

From the limited footage I saw, it didn't look like Max actually had to display too many heroics - the Red Bull simply looked the faster package at the Miami track.  By all accounts it was an absolute horror of a track for the drivers to race on.  The lack of overtaking and "proper" racing was quite evident.  I guess this is a modern Monaco - all about the glitz and glamour of the "event" rather than providing proper racing action for the fans.

As I understand it, during the safety car period Lewis stayed out on old tyres and George pitted for fresh ones, thus allowing him to pass Lewis and finish one place ahead.  I think if they were on equal tyres they would have held station the way they were.

I wouldn't be counting any chickens just yet.  I think Lewis is the car they're trying different things with to dig themselves out of the hole they're in, and so far it's often meant he's not come out favourably compared to George.  As and when they do get the car talking to them properly I still think Lewis has a trick or two to teach George.

Aye you're not wrong. What unnerves me is with a lot of these street circuits we're all hoping for a safety car. But that almost always means we're hoping for a big crash. So in order to have an exciting race, we're relying on someone putting themselves in a dangerous situation in which they have no control and may end up getting injured - or worse. I don't think that's an acceptable way to make something exciting...

We should be having fewer of these daft street circuits, not more. The traditional, purpose built circuits still produce the best races where you don't need someone to put their life and limb on the line just to get some enjoyment out of it.

Max didn't have to work that hard from a technical, race-skill angle. It was physically exhausting, by the look of it, because of the heat and humidity, but his car was just too quick in a straight line, so it killed any chance of an overtake - or even attempted one overtake! Defend and get to the straight, then drive off into the distance. The Ferraris had no answer.