BSA R10 SE.. Unsure as to buy

rayo

I've been considering buying a bsa r10 se to keep my Hw100 company both 177  but on reading reviews there's a awful lot of negative ones mainly concerning the reg and shot count being way short of bsa figures. I'm sure I can get some unbiased views on here to help make my mind up.

Thanks in advance folks 👍👍

Edited by rayo

I bought one in .22 about a year ago, my favourite air rifle. very accurate and I get good amount of shots. I did do a shot count when it was new through a chrono and it was about what bsa said it would be. had a scorpion se before that and it would run out of air as I do a lot of plinking after a hunt. Never had regulator issues, but the owner of the gunshop I bought it from said he's had a couple with excess lube in the reg that goes sticky with time and needed a clean, job done and the problem didn't come back. The bolt pull is very light compared to my s410f probably because its regulated and doesn't need such a heavy hammer spring. My air arms is faultless but if I could only have one air rifle it would be the r10se.

Hello, , BSA figures are way to high according to many R10 SE owners, more like 120 in 177, details on the regs show many change to the Huma reg, years ago I had a MK 1 in 22 and got about 160 shots per fill, the only way to get the best from this rifle is to have an upgrade like the John Bowkett blue print about £150, he's on Facebook, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

28 minutes ago, rayo said:

I've been considering buying a bsa r10 se to keep my Hw100 company both 177  but on reading reviews there's a awful lot of negative ones mainly concerning the reg and shot count being way short of bsa figures. I'm sure I can get some unbiased views on here to help make my mind up.

Thanks in advance folks 👍👍

I had an R10 Mk2. They're lovely guns when brought to their full potential, but it seems BSA are still unable to do that. The Mk1 was a shocker. The Mk2 was better, but still plagued with issues. The SE is again better, but still not there. The best way forward is to get a tuned one, especially if the reg's been ditched and replaced for a non BSA one. Buying new makes little sense because of this. I'd be more tempted to buy second hand and then get it tuned. You'd end up with a better gun than if you'd bought new anyway.

52 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, , BSA figures are way to high according to many R10 SE owners, more like 120 in 177, details on the regs show many change to the Huma reg, years ago I had a MK 1 in 22 and got about 160 shots per fill, the only way to get the best from this rifle is to have an upgrade like the John Bowkett blue print about £150, he's on Facebook, 

Hello, why do you need 2  177s ??, 

16 hours ago, Mice! said:

I've got the Mk 2 in 177, set up correctly you can't fault them.

But I'd be looking for a decent second hand one, then have it serviced.  New prices are ridiculous. 

Hello, have to agree, 2nd hand then JB blue print service, or same but from another reputable good air rifle service co

My gun didn't see daylight in April,  add in a house move and I wanted to check the zero yesterday but left it till about half 8 last night. 

Screenshot_20220511-073229_Gallery.jpg.d2ba250289e882d1c69656e6b2ecce7b.jpg

Only 20mtrs in the garden with a right to left breeze, but no air loss, no zero loss everything as it should be.  4 shots in failing light.

If they are set up right they are great guns.

24 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Looks like your 4 inches low and right .🤔

Ha ha, I knew someone would point it out.

It was quick and dirty,  I put the target up and that was at 3 o'clock,  it was too dark to use the bull so I aimed just off the blue 1 ring, then aimed for that hole.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an R10 Mk2 .22,i've owned it for a good few years now & it never let me down until last year when the reg developed a leak,that was a good excuse for me to ship it off to Ratworks for a complete tune & service which included a Tench reg,i can say that Ratworks completely transformed the rifle,what i'd thought was an already good rifle is now absolutely fantastic,i think it's safe to say that BSA cut quite a few corners when they put the R10's into production after Bowkett developed them,i'm only realising that now after having it tuned,the only thing that will part me from the rifle will be the lead ban!

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Stock up 😉

That's crossed my mind but at this stage there's no clues as to how serious the consequences will be if you were to be caught using 'illegal ammunition' after the ban is in place,with firearms being involved you'll most likely get all hell unleashed upon you,the Backless Anti Shooting C###s,oops sorry the BASC etc will probably be calling for harsh sentences....not a risk i'd be willing to take unfortunately,i'll be throwing the towel in.

3 minutes ago, 51/50 said:

That's crossed my mind but at this stage there's no clues as to how serious the consequences will be if you were to be caught using 'illegal ammunition' after the ban is in place,with firearms being involved you'll most likely get all hell unleashed upon you,the Backless Anti Shooting C###s,oops sorry the BASC etc will probably be calling for harsh sentences....not a risk i'd be willing to take unfortunately,i'll be throwing the towel in.

I can see the sale of lead getting banned if it comes to it,  but not the policing of who's still got pellets,  if you can't buy them then they'll run out.