More ZAN slugs

villaman

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, thankyou, what's that in FT LLB ?

870x870x21gr divide by 450240 = about 35lbs right?  😁 nice!

By the same calculations I can drive the 26.5 grn slugs around 445fps for 11.6 lbs of energy thats a good sum when you note the stealth FAC model has about 35fbs max energy driving the same weight slug upto around 770fps so by calculations a lions share of the velocity can be had with non FAC energy but reality is rarely so neat!

Edited by Chaz25

6 hours ago, Chaz25 said:

870x870x21gr divide by 450240 = about 35lbs right?  😁 nice!

By the same calculations I can drive the 26.5 grn slugs around 445fps for 11.6 lbs of energy thats a good sum when you note the stealth FAC model has about 35fbs max energy driving the same weight slug upto around 770fps so by calculations a lions share of the velocity can be had with non FAC energy but reality is rarely so neat!

Hello, cheers for that 👍

16 hours ago, Chaz25 said:

I have been feeding the stealth with grizzly's and ranging shots 15-20 yards no problem so these with less weight will be even better, I shoot in very closed in woodland so shots beyond 25 are rare and I take that as near the outer limits for the 25's anyhow, thing is the stealth runs a very direct air path and you also imprint the rifling during loading these things I think keep the last few lbs of energy in the pellet, when I send some through the meter I could put up the velocitys if your interested?

That's the big difference,  knowing you aren't shooting past 25mtrs that being the case I'm sure the .25 is lethal.

Got some 30gr Zan slugs in .25 for my fx impact, wouldn't group at all well even at 50 yds, were quite loose in the mag, kept turning  sideways and not indexing properly, has anyone else had this issue at all ?. Used Nielsen 33gr and they are great, very accurate out to well over 100 yds, but run out of them and thought i'd try Zan  but definitely not useable on live quarry. Rifle running at 50ft lb.

S

4 hours ago, scobydog said:

Got some 30gr Zan slugs in .25 for my fx impact, wouldn't group at all well even at 50 yds, were quite loose in the mag, kept turning  sideways and not indexing properly, has anyone else had this issue at all ?. Used Nielsen 33gr and they are great, very accurate out to well over 100 yds, but run out of them and thought i'd try Zan  but definitely not useable on live quarry. Rifle running at 50ft lb.

S

Why didn’t you try 33 gr as these are absolutely brilliant in most guns  and then you can compare like for like with neilson slugs specially if you can run them at 940 - 980 fps but they do work very well at lower speeds as well 

Edited by villaman

2 hours ago, villaman said:

Why didn’t you try 33 gr as these are absolutely brilliant in most guns  and then you can compare like for like with neilson slugs specially if you can run them at 940 - 980 fps but they do work very well at lower speeds as well 

Wanted to try a slightly lighter weight to see if much difference in poa, when in the mag they rattle like an old box of matches whereas the Nielsen's don't, as said they also turned slightly sideways in the mag and wouldn't feed/index properly. Anyhow ordered some more Nielsens from Krale so should be back to normal soon hopefully. One other thing i noticed is that they are quite dirty, as in residue left on them from manufacture i presume.

S

15 hours ago, scobydog said:

Wanted to try a slightly lighter weight to see if much difference in poa, when in the mag they rattle like an old box of matches whereas the Nielsen's don't, as said they also turned slightly sideways in the mag and wouldn't feed/index properly. Anyhow ordered some more Nielsens from Krale so should be back to normal soon hopefully. One other thing i noticed is that they are quite dirty, as in residue left on them from manufacture i presume.

S

30 gr not that good in my gun but if your going to compare one slug against another them make sure same weight is used or there abouts 

1 hour ago, villaman said:

30 gr not that good in my gun but if your going to compare one slug against another them make sure same weight is used or there abouts 

It wasn't for comparison, it was to try a slightly lighter weight slug as stated, anyway won't waste any more money on Zan will just stick to Nielsen from now on and buy bulk amounts so as not to run out.

S

2 hours ago, scobydog said:

It wasn't for comparison, it was to try a slightly lighter weight slug as stated, anyway won't waste any more money on Zan will just stick to Nielsen from now on and buy bulk amounts so as not to run out.

S

But you are slating ZAN slugs saying neilson ones are better  but not the same weight . I have tried most slugs in most weights  in .177 , .22 , .25 some work and some don’t even from the same manufacture. Like I said ZAN 33 & 35 gr are the best slugs I have tried including neilson for accuracy and deformation plus far cheaper than most slugs on the market 

I have not at any point slated them, i have stated 30gr Zan slugs are really poor in my Impact and Nielsen's are very good, that is fact not slating. Perhaps 33 and 35 are great in your rifle but i don't see the point in spending more cash on something that might not work.  A few lads at my range swear by Zan hence i tried them but also others have said they don't have much luck with them at all.  As the saying goes once bitten twice shy.

S

Well I gave them a go there a bit on the under size about 6.30 mm where as the grizzly's are about 6.33mm so run fine in the supersport carbine and well enough in the stealth at about 450fps and group around half inch at 10m for both excluding flyers.