British Game Alliance - is it relevant to most shoots?

This was on the BGA website and has I think been in the sporting press.

''British Game Assurance has launched a free-to-access Associate scheme for any shoot that wants to take the first steps towards self-assurance. Defra has publicly called upon all shooting interests to sign up to BGA, and this new initiative removes all the barriers to participation so every shoot can play their part in safe-guarding the future of our community''

Could someone please explain why this is relevant to small non commercial shoots? Do we now need DERFA approval or could this be a route to introduce controls via the back door?

I am struggling to see the point of the BGA unless you are a commercial operation selling game into the food chain. 

Is it just more 'jobs for the boys'?

This is the “Red Tractor” scheme for shooting, I would avoid this like the plague, yes it’s jobs for boys starts off all lovely and friendly then turns into legislation, licensing you can’t shoot without it. The standards there are now will be no better you’ll get no more for your game and all you’ll do is paid through the nose for it. Ask any farmer. It’s a dripping tap

I said when the bga was first mooted that it sounded like a con. IF they did what they said they were going to do and find a market for game when traditional routes had been tapped out then few could argue against them. But they haven't to my knowledge even scratched the surface of the problem, merely creamed their % off the top with the outrageous tribute they demand from the shoots that sign up, driving up their costs which get passed onto the end user. Problem is, through networking with our worthless organisational bodies (the same names pop up time and time again within these NGOs, like a merry-go-round of jobs for the boys) and sweet talking the big game dealers, they have made themselves a defacto governing body for the disposal of game meat and there are very few other ways of getting it into the food chain without them taking their cut. Its nothing more than a protection racket, as 8 shot has said already, just like the despised red tractor.

22 minutes ago, adzyvilla said:

I said when the bga was first mooted that it sounded like a con. IF they did what they said they were going to do and find a market for game when traditional routes had been tapped out then few could argue against them. But they haven't to my knowledge even scratched the surface of the problem, merely creamed their % off the top with the outrageous tribute they demand from the shoots that sign up, driving up their costs which get passed onto the end user. Problem is, through networking with our worthless organisational bodies (the same names pop up time and time again within these NGOs, like a merry-go-round of jobs for the boys) and sweet talking the big game dealers, they have made themselves a defacto governing body for the disposal of game meat and there are very few other ways of getting it into the food chain without them taking their cut. Its nothing more than a protection racket, as 8 shot has said already, just like the despised red tractor.

SPOT ON 👍