HSE lead ammo proposals - FAQs and updates

7 minutes ago, Sweet11-87 said:

was at the northern shoot show just gone and there was a small stand called Vouzelaud ammunition, touting some ammo thats currently getting developed in europe.

its £200 a slab so its very expensive but the bloke just said its early days. main issues theyve alread cracked are its  steel, its bio,  and it can be fired through any choke and its standard pressure.   and the bloke said they shift in the region of 1300 fps

https://www.livequarrysteel.com/

main thing i took away from it is  once these kind of solutions and tech become common place economy of scale and competition will  see the prices get to a point that the margins are small.

Also fiocchi are testing various wads and cases. 

There's no way we'll be able to continue as we are we've got to accept lead and plastic is going. Unfortunately there is understandably a lot of people not happy. 

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, mellors said:

There's no way we'll be able to continue as we are we've got to accept lead and plastic is going. Unfortunately there is understandably a lot of people not happy. 

indeed in accepting both are going is also to accept that also going will be small gauges shotgun, muzzle loaders, black powder revolvers, etc etc.

They are already available in the B&P range, fiocchi own B&P

https://green-core.baschieri-pellagri.com/en/

As we accept the current prices as the normal I do not see them dropping at anytime, with £400 plus, plus becoming the new normal and very probably the end of home loading, I can see myself either shooting very much less or not at all with shotguns, focusing on what ever the future (if any) is for airguns and .22lr 

fishing will replace the shooting.

10 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

indeed in accepting both are going is also to accept that also going will be small gauges shotgun, muzzle loaders, black powder revolvers, etc etc.

They are already available in the B&P range, fiocchi own B&P

https://green-core.baschieri-pellagri.com/en/

As we accept the current prices as the normal I do not see them dropping at anytime, with £400 plus, plus becoming the new normal and very probably the end of home loading, I can see myself either shooting very much less or not at all with shotguns, focusing on what ever the future (if any) is for airguns and .22lr 

fishing will replace the shooting.

I agree its not looking good but i think we'll have to wait a year or so. 

I can't see the manufacturers giving up. Luckily Europe is in the same dilemma and hopefully the sheer volumes in all calibers they've been used to selling will motivate them to address the the issues. 

Can't see me fishing ever. 

4 minutes ago, clangerman said:

ask the bait shop if they do refunds mate 

I wouldn't ask mine. 

Went in to buy a fishing bag for all my bits i carry and put in the hide it was also a cold bag £69. 

I'll tell you i have never met such an obnoxious know it all before. 

I walked out. 

3 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Pigeon Watch 🤣

Sorry I was meaning an official representative body, not a forum. 

3 hours ago, mellors said:

Was also tin shot which has been tried beofre and dropped

6 hours ago, Stimo22 said:

Belgium , Holland, Denmark and Germany for most shotgun use, but USA and others including UK for wildfowl. Did many duck shooters pack up when the rules change

Do visitors from those Countries that come here in large numbers to partake in our game shooting, bring their steel shot cartridges with them, I wonder  ?

3 minutes ago, Westley said:

Do visitors from those Countries that come here in large numbers to partake in our game shooting, bring their steel shot cartridges with them, I wonder  ?

NO !!! as i've said in another thread most i've known have if not all used lead for pigeon and game some still use plastic wads. It's a myth they prefer Steel.

Mother used to do B+B for endless Europeans coming here pigeon shooting most brought cartriges here always lead and they ALL took pigeons back with them, popular in Europe by all accounts. And as i understand it the "Pigeon Guide" had a very healthy business supplying pigeons, shot with lead back to French and Belgium restaurants.

Edited by 8 shot

9 hours ago, London Best said:

When all these doom and gloom merchants that say they are packing up shooting actually do so, there will be lots of vacant permissions waiting for the rest of us to take over.

👍Like I said….every cloud and all that. 🙂

9 hours ago, 8 shot said:

Mother used to do B+B for endless Europeans coming here pigeon shooting most brought cartriges here always lead and they ALL took pigeons back with them, popular in Europe by all accounts. And as i understand it the "Pigeon Guide" had a very healthy business supplying pigeons, shot with lead back to French and Belgium restaurants.

I think this is the case - simple easy error - but for clarity do you have an "r" where you shouldn't - makes a big difference?

53 minutes ago, wymberley said:

I think this is the case - simple easy error - but for clarity do you have an "r" where you shouldn't - makes a big difference?

Wow!!!!. 

We must be getting good at this posting lark. 

Only one mistake in the whole thread (maybe not).

12 hours ago, London Best said:

When all these doom and gloom merchants that say they are packing up shooting actually do so, there will be lots of vacant permissions waiting for the rest of us to take over.

game shootings biggest amount of support comes from all those grassroots boys struggling with cost thanks to game shooting pushing this rubbish they will simply switch to cheaper forms such as air rifles and dump all their support for game shooting in return a fair exchange! 

Well if there's no shooting, there's no BASC so they should be careful what they wish for. looking through the call for evidence document by REACH they haven't a clue how damaging lead is, but they are going to ban it anyway, I would have thought Plastic was a more pressing issue than Lead myself!

The questions in the document/survey are designed so we can't answer them accurately, so it will go through unopposed without so much as a whimper from any of the organisations.

It needs to be proportional though, Game shooters and clay shooters use a lot more lead than say some who shots 50 foxes a year with a 50 grain vmax

Each time you pull the trigger on a shotgun 437 grains of lead is sent on its way, compare to 50 grains of lead, but we will all be treated the same no doubt because we are all in it together.

There  doesn't seem to be any real alternative ammunition for the Air rifle users amongst us, so the Rat population will increase quite quickly I would think because a lot of people will pack it in, there is an amazing amount of free pest control goes on each week unpaid, will this be taken into account, as usual the people making the decisions know ****** all about what any of us does, and the Irony for me is most of them in London are probably drinking water from a lead pipe.

I'd happily dump using plastic cases and switch to paper cases stuffed with lead shot. Surely that would be environmentally friendly step in the right direction? If our government truly wants our nation sign up to end global scourge of plastic pollution this should have been done years ago. 

Thanks @PeterHenry for the comment and email on home loading and @Old farrierfor the comment on proofing -  we may add a FAQ on that. 

We will continue to update our advice and FAQs on the restriction proposals consultation based on queries and suggestions that come to our attention.

https://basc.org.uk/lead/

36 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

And steel is more than capable for the massive majority of game shot this way ... assuming you're one of those that can put it in the right place.

However steel shot and the speed required for it to perform properly is not very pleasant to shoot in a light game gun 

it seems that we will be shooting game with heavy wildfowling guns in the future or not at all