HSE lead ammo proposals - FAQs and updates

14 minutes ago, Scully said:

Ours haven’t doubled, but they rise every year, unlike my wages, and I’m just an average working bloke. 
The people who shoot serious amounts of game…..and there are plenty of them…..aren’t the sort to be effected by its cost.

Like I said, there are many things which may end driven game shooting, but its cost isn’t up there with them. 

I took early retirement partly to keep youngsters in work when Covid struck, I was at an age when I could get at my Pension so I did wanted 3 more years but unreal times.  I don't have an index linked Pension so inflation and huge Shoot increases  I cannot protect against.  The warm weather last season saw us return 20% of our usual bag that we have returned for the last 22 years I have been in.  We shot 50 odd birds from 600 put down and the fees are now £1050.  I shot 5 last season and the season before we put 700 down then could only shoot 3 days because of restrictions.  A real shame but I can't see things changing the climate is warming, we rarely have true winters now.  I think we should just pay the rent and rough shoot.

Edited by Weihrauch17

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

I took early retirement partly to keep youngsters in work when Covid struck, I was at an age when I could get at my Pension so I did wanted 3 more years but unreal times.  I don't have an index linked Pension so inflation and huge Shoot increases  I cannot protect against.  The warm weather last season saw us return 20% of our usual bag that we have returned for the last 22 years I have been in.  We shot 50 odd birds from 600 put down and the fees are now £1050.  I shot 5 last season and the season before we put 700 down then could only shoot 3 days because of restrictions.  A real shame but I can't see things changing the climate is warming, we rarely have true winters now.  I think we should just pay the rent and rough shoot.

There could be all sorts of reasons why you’re getting a poor return - but 5 birds to your own gun for a season….?!

I would almost rather play golf…and I don’t even like the game…..🙂

Just now, Fellside said:

There could be all sorts of reasons why you’re getting a poor return - but 5 birds to your own gun for a season….?!

I would almost rather play golf…and I don’t even like the game…..🙂

I have been in it 22 years and usually shoot between 3 and 5 a day.  Last year our birds vanished, we got innundated with Foxes and our releasing part of the land was sold at Auction with many viewings and I suspect poaching also on the back of this.  We were far off the beaten track and remote but got advertised to the country.  It was also ridiculously warm throughout the season, we had one cold day the whole season.

1 minute ago, Weihrauch17 said:

I have been in it 22 years and usually shoot between 3 and 5 a day.  Last year our birds vanished, we got innundated with Foxes and our releasing part of the land was sold at Auction with many viewings and I suspect poaching also on the back of this.  We were far off the beaten track and remote but got advertised to the country.  It was also ridiculously warm throughout the season, we had one cold day the whole season.

Challenging times - I hope you have much better season this year. Good luck!

9 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

I am 63 this year and still in work, and unless a rich relative dies and leaves me loads of dosh I won’t ever be able to afford to retire as I have no pension apart from the state one. 
Our little syndicate puts down 300 birds each season and we had exactly 50% returns at the last. Fourteen of us pay 320 each year, but this is likely to increase.
We treat the last two days as a big rough shoot and walk the land in reverse as it’s not worth doing drives due to a lack of birds; try it, it’s surprising how well it works. 
For the money you’re paying I’d expect a lot more shooting . Perhaps you should have a meeting to see if you can all find a solution to increase your returns? 
There is so much negativity amongst shooters currently and it’s the wrong attitude entirely; the harder things become the more resolve we should have to survive it. Nothing ever stays the same, and to give up because ‘things’ aren’t the same as they used to be isn’t the answer. Change it, think and act positively. 
Shooting is my life’s passion and for me, giving up simply isn’t an option. 

9 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

The warm weather last season saw us return 20% of our usual bag that we have returned for the last 22 years I have been in.  We shot 50 odd birds from 600 put down and the fees are now £1050.  I shot 5 last season and the season before we put 700 down then could only shoot 3 days because of restrictions

For around that sort of money you would likely shoot more to your own gun (if that matters to you) by buying three small days on a commercial shoot. Think £400/day/per gun and you can have some really great little days.

4 hours ago, Scully said:

There is so much negativity amongst shooters currently and it’s the wrong attitude entirely; the harder things become the more resolve we should have to survive it. Nothing ever stays the same, and to give up because ‘things’ aren’t the same as they used to be isn’t the answer. Change it, think and act positively. 
Shooting is my life’s passion and for me, giving up simply isn’t an option. 

👍

On 16/05/2022 at 19:11, Vince Green said:

They would do more for environment by banning plastic wads and cartridges.

But as I keep saying to anybody who will listen

The environment is NOT the job of the HSE

Why are they sticking their noses in when it's none of their business?

On 16/05/2022 at 19:26, Newbie to this said:

Maybe @Conor O'Gorman has heard you!

The Health and Safety Executive is the lead agency under the post-Brexit UK REACH regulations. 

UK REACH is a regulation that applies to the majority of chemical substances that are manufactured in or imported into England, Wales and Scotland.

More information on UK REACH here:

https://www.hse.gov.uk/reach/about.htm

See the list of consultations under UK REACH (including lead ammunition) here:

https://consultations.hse.gov.uk/

• 3 weeks later...

Watched around a 40 minute video today on the gunshops you tube channel about this very subject.

Whilst I am not a great lover of him he did interview several people and it made for an interesting watch.The unfortunate thing is the game dealers have in effect brought the voluntary lead ban forward.There is definitely a bigger picture here.

Sorry I don't know how to put a link in

1 minute ago, wisdom said:

Watched around a 40 minute video today on the gunshops you tube channel about this very subject.

Whilst I am not a great lover of him he did interview several people and it made for an interesting watch.The unfortunate thing is the game dealers have in effect brought the voluntary lead ban forward.There is definitely a bigger picture here.

As unfortunate as it is I don’t think they have had much choice as they want to stay in business.  It is the people they sell their product to who call the shots. If consumers don’t want game shot with lead then they ( game dealers ) won’t buy it from their suppliers, which are the game shoots. 🤷‍♂️

25 minutes ago, wisdom said:

Having just seen the news, The Government Food Strategy wild meat is on the agenda. Eat wild venison instead of beef. As i've already said can only see more COMPULSARY regulations coming. No SGC or FAC without all your certificates renewed every few years.