Jump to content

Watch this space


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Dave-G said:

That's stunning workmanship and look what excellent work Neville did for me with some of the offcuts. Thank you both.

pasty (4).JPG

He said to me he’d delivered one to you . He’s made 500 of them now I think 😂😂. I’ve just given him enough stuff to made another 500 😂😂😂. Looks superb 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, team tractor said:

He said to me he’d delivered one to you . He’s made 500 of them now I think 😂😂. I’ve just given him enough stuff to made another 500 😂😂😂. Looks superb 

That'll keep him busy till he gets some LPG for that drag racer of his. 

1 hour ago, billytheghillie said:

why have you chopped all the chess men?

I'd have made the pasty's sooner but the wife has a strict food use by date regime that I'm obliged to observe. :lookaround:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, mel b3 said:

That board looks stunning dave . I suspect that their is much more skill involved than nev admits to . Top job nev 👍.

To be honest, if you have a bench saw and either a planer or a good belt sander, some sash clamps and glue it is not that difficult.  The trick is cutting everyhting nice and square and tidy so all the strips fit nice and tidy together. Those chequerboard ones look difficult but in fact are easy. Glue the first strips side by side and then feed through the bench saw sideways which leaves you with lengths of squares, then glue these back together just moving them up so forming the sheck pattern. You can do it with a zig zag pattern as well which gives it a 3 D look.  A planer/thicknesser is also handy and gets all the pieces the same size.

I just enjoy macking them because they are all different and it is a joy to give them to folk. One lady in the village who has done a huge amount of work for the church cried when my wife took her board. That,s what it is all about.

Not wishing to crash TT's story but all the bits of scrap firewood get used and I know he enjoys this as much as me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

To be honest, if you have a bench saw and either a planer or a good belt sander, some sash clamps and glue it is not that difficult.  The trick is cutting everyhting nice and square and tidy so all the strips fit nice and tidy together. Those chequerboard ones look difficult but in fact are easy. Glue the first strips side by side and then feed through the bench saw sideways which leaves you with lengths of squares, then glue these back together just moving them up so forming the sheck pattern. You can do it with a zig zag pattern as well which gives it a 3 D look.  A planer/thicknesser is also handy and gets all the pieces the same size.

I just enjoy macking them because they are all different and it is a joy to give them to folk. One lady in the village who has done a huge amount of work for the church cried when my wife took her board. That,s what it is all about.

Not wishing to crash TT's story but all the bits of scrap firewood get used and I know he enjoys this as much as me.

I love seeing them used 😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Walker570 said:

To be honest, if you have a bench saw and either a planer or a good belt sander, some sash clamps and glue it is not that difficult.  The trick is cutting everyhting nice and square and tidy so all the strips fit nice and tidy together. Those chequerboard ones look difficult but in fact are easy. Glue the first strips side by side and then feed through the bench saw sideways which leaves you with lengths of squares, then glue these back together just moving them up so forming the sheck pattern. You can do it with a zig zag pattern as well which gives it a 3 D look.  A planer/thicknesser is also handy and gets all the pieces the same size.

I just enjoy macking them because they are all different and it is a joy to give them to folk. One lady in the village who has done a huge amount of work for the church cried when my wife took her board. That,s what it is all about.

Not wishing to crash TT's story but all the bits of scrap firewood get used and I know he enjoys this as much as me.

I know that having the right tools certainly helps nev , but it still takes quite a bit of skill , and a good eye 👍.

8 hours ago, team tractor said:

I love seeing them used 😎

I love to see any kind of waste turned into something useful 👍.

6 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Well here's the last one from those curved bits, now finished and oiled. I do not like this teak oil as much as BLO.  This is a chunk of a board ...a carving board really.

001.JPG

That looks brilliant now that it's finished nev . Very different 👍.

I use a couple of coats of chopping board oil , I leave it to soak in overnight,  then a couple of coats of chopping board wax .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Have not seen the board wax, must make a visit to google. 

I normally take my boards down to 800 sandpaper,  then the oil and wax gives them a silky smooth feel . Iirc the wax is around a tenner , and will do loads of boards .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/05/2022 at 18:14, Walker570 said:

Nathan had problems with the first supply of wood for this job and had already cut many of the curved sections. The wood was going to be scrapped and he kindly brought me a supply which I have now converted into a carving board. Still not quite finished but happy so far. I just used the curve Nathan had cut and layered some strips of oak in between. 

001.JPG

That’s a work of art in itself ….well done

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Scully said:

How do you price a job like that? 
Excellent work anyhow. 👍

I charge £60-80 per joint on main frames and £200 an opening light . 
it’s just years of win or fail . 
Sapele is currently around £1500 a sq m so 1500 divide by 1600 is roughly £1 an inch per m long so a piece of 4 x 2 is £8 per m for pricing . 
The rounds tho 🤣 it’s guess work on how long it takes . 
 

cheers 😎👍

image.jpg

4 hours ago, Blackpowder said:

Well you certainly need to keep your wits about you when putting that lot together.  Top job.

 

Blackpowder

 

I just hope they fit 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, team tractor said:

I charge £60-80 per joint on main frames and £200 an opening light . 
it’s just years of win or fail . 
Sapele is currently around £1500 a sq m so 1500 divide by 1600 is roughly £1 an inch per m long so a piece of 4 x 2 is £8 per m for pricing . 
The rounds tho 🤣 it’s guess work on how long it takes . 
 

cheers 😎👍

image.jpg

I just hope they fit 😂

Grand. Interesting to know. When I stopped building tradis insulated timber frames it was around £1000 per sq mtr, I dread to think what it is now! 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

..... just thinking..... if they don't lots of scrap.....rubbing hands together. 

😂 you’ll be in trouble if you have anymore timber at your house . 
I have a maple strip for you tho 😂

3 hours ago, Scully said:

Grand. Interesting to know. When I stopped building tradis insulated timber frames it was around £1000 per sq mtr, I dread to think what it is now! 
 

Oak is around £3000 cm3 

Sapele £1500

softwood /pine / red deal is £800

its scary how much it’s increased and glass . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...