Football offside rule

mgsontour

Hi all

Watched a premiership game last night and the ref blew the whistle for off-side. I'm not an avid watcher of the game but do like a decent match so would consider myself as knowing the basics so when the whistle blew for offside I announced with some authority that it wasn't only to e told I was wrong, it happens but not too often and was then told 'O by the way it's changed' yet no-one could explain so found this today

BBC SPORT | Football | Laws & Equipment | Think you know your offside?

I've read it and simply don't understand. . . . . .  I can only imagine how difficult it must be to explain in a foreign language to international players who play in UK or is it simply me being daft; yet again

4 hours ago, mgsontour said:

Hi all

Watched a premiership game last night and the ref blew the whistle for off-side. I'm not an avid watcher of the game but do like a decent match so would consider myself as knowing the basics so when the whistle blew for offside I announced with some authority that it wasn't only to e told I was wrong, it happens but not too often and was then told 'O by the way it's changed' yet no-one could explain so found this today

BBC SPORT | Football | Laws & Equipment | Think you know your offside?

I've read it and simply don't understand. . . . . .  I can only imagine how difficult it must be to explain in a foreign language to international players who play in UK or is it simply me being daft; yet again

That article's not that helpful! Really, the rules haven't changed particularly, just been...clarified! Essentially the nuts and bolts are the same:

1) A player is offside if any part of his or her playing body is beyond the second last opposing player when the ball is played. 

2) A player can be offside if he or she is deemed to be in an active role and was beyond the second last opposing player. 

That's basically all it is. 

Part 1 is fine. It's got a bit more nerdy with VAR, because the gaps that VAR is analysing are tiny. At some point someone's going to be offside because of an errant shoelace. But basically it's all the same.

Part 2 is where the fun really comes. You can still be onside if you're not involved. That works to stop offside breaking up the game when it's really not necessary. However. They have again clarified what it means to be involved. If your team gains advantage from something you did whilst being offside, you can be given as offside, even if you were nowhere near the ball. It happened to Virgil Van Dyke a few weeks back. He was up for a freekick and made his move to head the ball a fraction early and was beyond the second last opponent. But the ball doesn't even get to him; Diogo Jota was a couple of yards closer to the ball and headed it in to score. However, Van Dyke's run blocked off a defender. It wasn't a foul, but it did impede the defender and he did it from an offside position. He became active because his actions directly benefited his team from an offside position, so the goal was chalked off. Likewise,  if you force a defender to jump and head the ball out of play for a corner because he was stopping you get it, but you were in and offside position, you'd be flagged, because your team's gained, even if you don't jump for the ball. 

It all stems from three things: technology and money - and cheating. The huge increase in tech power has shown up areas for potential errors and the impact they have on the game. And it now really REALLY matters, because of the huge sums of money hinging on it. It has to be fair. Players will do anything to get an edge, if they think they can get away with it! So suddenly all this has to be legislated for, so people can't cheat and get an advantage!

14 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

The part of the body does not include your arm below the sleeve cuff on a normal t shirt. 

Yeah, that's the theory, but it's already been put to the test and it's not been conclusive on VAR. Problems arise when you get players dressed like this:

image.png.4ef6fbef7fb6a79b89130966b73fa12d.png

Ascertaining where the ball's hit with white on white is...tricky. It feels like a clarification that's not been terribly well thought through. Plus, below where Cinch is on Son's shirt, surely that's more arm than shoulder?

20 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

You don't like football then? Stop commenting on a thread on it. 

20 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

You don't like football then? Stop commenting on a thread on it. 

there's lots of things you don't like but it doesn't stop you sticking your snout in , so don't be rude .

10 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Who dramatically throw themselves to the ground at the slightest contact :whistling:

Agree. But watch last quarter of Real Madrid vs Man City 2022 SF to see why football is such a great sport. There was a good academic study and article on football’s inherent joy in the New Scientist about 15/20 years ago. I’ll try to find it. 

4 hours ago, derbyduck said:

there's lots of things you don't like but it doesn't stop you sticking your snout in , so don't be rude .

But it's fine to call people who like football footytossers? 

3 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Agree. But watch last quarter of Real Madrid vs Man City 2022 SF to see why football is such a great sport. There was a good academic study and article on football’s inherent joy in the New Scientist about 15/20 years ago. I’ll try to find it. 

That was an incredible game. In fact both legs were a treat. 

5 hours ago, redial said:

They don't call it the beautiful 

game without reason.

Yup. Reading FC played three seasons in the Prem. Only on two occasions as a season ticket holder I sat and watched us completely outclassed. Once when we got beaten 4-0 by an Henry-led Arsenal and once where Ronaldo and Rooney took us to the cleaners on their own. We only lost 2-0 but seeing the absolute quality on display was amazing, even if it was whilst Reading were on the receiving end! Incredible. The whole stadium applauded Ronaldo and Henry when they were subbed. Just too good.