Adjusting a scope

steve_b_wales

I've just fitted a scope on my air rifle, and using a shot saver (collimator) I tried to get the reticule as near to to dead centre on the grid as much as possible. This had always worked well for me, with just a small further adjustments needed when firing a rifle. But, I cannot get the vertical reticule to go lower any further and have come to the end of it's travel.(upwards) What's the best way to do this, swop the mounts around or shim them, and if so, do I shim the front or back?

11 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I've just fitted a scope on my air rifle, and using a shot saver (collimator) I tried to get the reticule as near to to dead centre on the grid as much as possible. This had always worked well for me, with just a small further adjustments needed when firing a rifle. But, I cannot get the vertical reticule to go lower any further and have come to the end of it's travel.(upwards) What's the best way to do this, swop the mounts around or shim them, and if so, do I shim the front or back?

is it a break barrel air rifle ?

7 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

A lot of newer pcps have  a large difference between bore center and scope center (especially  bullpups ) . And hence why maybe your scope zero  thingy  doesn't sit up high enough .?? 

Obviously  shorter barrels can have the same effect .

The rifle is a HW110 K bought 2nd hand and okay with the scope that was fitted to it. I've put my Nikko Sterling scope on it as I need to adjust the parallax for NV shooting.

The collimator is attached directly to built in moderator.

Edited by steve_b_wales

UPDATE:

I've just shimmed the back ring base with two 'shims' of a coke can. So far, the reticule is now parallel to the horizontal grid line (which has been set with a spirit level) and I just need to test the rifle now, first at a short distance and then at around 40 yards.

With PCP i have always clamped in a B&D work mate type bench, placed target at 30yds shot and altered scope to POI . 

Understanding that you were unsure if the scope is aligned or not hence the question, but following the above will tell you immediately what you need to do regards scope adjustment and if its doable or not.

As long as the rifle doesnt move you can zero this way with just 1 shot, (but only with PCP) 

11 minutes ago, Dougy said:

With PCP i have always clamped in a B&D work mate type bench, placed target at 30yds shot and altered scope to POI . 

Understanding that you were unsure if the scope is aligned or not hence the question, but following the above will tell you immediately what you need to do regards scope adjustment and if its doable or not.

As long as the rifle doesnt move you can zero this way with just 1 shot, (but only with PCP) 

I agree Dougy. I actually did this with my Air Arms FAC a few years back. I'll see how this is when I get chance and if it's no good, will go back to the old fashioned method. The shot saver (collimator) usually puts bullets within a 5" circle and it doesn't take long to get it spot on.