Windy Afternoon

I had a call on Monday lunch time regarding a block of peas that the pigeons have just started to take an interest in. I drove to the ground after work to find 150-200 lift off one of the fields. I watched the ground every evening after work so I knew where the pigeons wanted to be. Looking at the weather forecast today looked to be the better day rather than tomorrow with my phone saying 26mph winds and they weren’t wrong. I had to use 6 hide poles to keep the hide standing as the wind really got up at times. The first 2 hours were nice and steady with the birds decoying perfectly but after that it soon went quiet with long periods between small flurries of birds. I called it a day at 5.30 and picked 74 pigeons. I thought I was in for a big bag the way they came first thing but that’s pigeons for you. I also had a call off another farmer with pigeons on peas so I think we are finally out of the quiet period with birds switching from the buds.

Ben

591E9E1C-5135-466E-B0F5-2368F43D7C29.jpeg

That was an excellent bag and 74 to us would had been a big bag , in fact a very big bag at the moment , yesterday I spent most of the afternoon looking on our various Peas , I had one field already lined up for today and yesterday might had been a better day wind wise than today although we do get some nice sea breezes , the peas I looked at were devoid of Pigeons and were from just showing above ground to being 3 / 4 inches high , also the flowers on the Rape are now dropping off and I can't see any more Pigeons shot now until the crop have been combined .

Still time marches on and some good days are not that far off .

Keep up the good work and keep posting .

All the best      MM

3 hours ago, marsh man said:

That was an excellent bag and 74 to us would had been a big bag , in fact a very big bag at the moment , yesterday I spent most of the afternoon looking on our various Peas , I had one field already lined up for today and yesterday might had been a better day wind wise than today although we do get some nice sea breezes , the peas I looked at were devoid of Pigeons and were from just showing above ground to being 3 / 4 inches high , also the flowers on the Rape are now dropping off and I can't see any more Pigeons shot now until the crop have been combined .

Still time marches on and some good days are not that far off .

Keep up the good work and keep posting .

All the best      MM

Hello, I suppose the laid barley would be next around here but a few months away , once they cut for silage there's always a chance go on the blackies, 

Well done Ben, they have come out of hiding now I’m in Greece battling with 28 degrees , I’ve had to start drinking beer !!!

You should have some good sport with those peas as they have show a lot of interest in them over the week you have been watching them. It’s a good job you emptied your freezers??

8 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Well done Ben, they have come out of hiding now I’m in Greece battling with 28 degrees , I’ve had to start drinking beer !!!

You should have some good sport with those peas as they have show a lot of interest in them over the week you have been watching them. It’s a good job you emptied your freezers??

They must of been tracker on you! I did over 100 miles on Saturday looking for something to shoot on Sunday and hardly found a bird. I will keep an eye on these peas during this week

7 hours ago, oowee said:

Very nice indeed. Fired just shy of 500 shells myself yesterday on doves but I am in SA where big bags are pretty much guaranteed. Back to reality tomorrow. 

This is something that’s high on my bucket list

Edited by bunny_blaster