Blackpowder

2 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

It leaves the way open to grudges, bribery, favouritism etc.

you missed out pure stupid after ten mins of Sherlock blathering on buried the fool by pointing out he just found a machete in smelly cab knee deep in fur feathers and empties plus gun dog on the seat duh! 

Why get another if you lost 2opienels i would just get a bright coloured plastic handles knife 

And not saying it would put them off but if im going out shooting i put a plastic box in the car boot with a knife in that and if they question why you got it whats the rest of the gear in the box for 

12 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Sorry, but I will have to disagree - having a law designed to combat knife crime that 'legally' includes knitting needles is not in my view 'perfectly sensible' - nor is having to rely on a police officer's interpretation of a law to avoid a potentially very serious (up to 4 years and unlimited fine) criminal charge.   Police officers are not lawyers and apply (what should be clear) laws.  Courts, Judges and the legal processes interpret them.

I agree it has been left to the officer to be pragmatic, but in my view - that is not a perfectly sensible law, but a poor law passing the buck as it will inevitably be interpreted differently by officers with different personal views - and that is wrong.  It leaves the way open to grudges, bribery, favouritism etc.

This law has been around a lot longer than the recent knife crime trend and isn't intended to directly stop that. Its there to stop people carrying potentially dangerous everyday objects either routinely into the wrong environment or purposefully for protection.

Think about the difficulty in doing to law differently, somebody needs to be there to understand the situation vs the reason given.

4 minutes ago, bigroomboy said:

Think about the difficulty in doing to law differently, somebody needs to be there to understand the situation vs the reason given.

I agree it is very difficult to put in writing, but it isn't a good law that relies on an individuals interpretation/judgement.  A court/jury's interpretation - possibly, but not one individual with (maybe) his/her own opinions.

Think of if a police officer could fine drivers just because they were going what he/she considered too fast.  It would be a nightmare of what is "too fast" and judgement of one against another.  Having a clearly defined and measurable figure is not always ideal, but everyone knows where they are.  And I know that it is only a 'maximum' speed and a safe speed may at times be a lot lower than the limit.  Similarly we have a defined measurable limit for alcohol, tyre tread depth, etc.

16 hours ago, Bigbob said:

Why get another if you lost 2opienels i would just get a bright coloured plastic handles knife 

And not saying it would put them off but if im going out shooting i put a plastic box in the car boot with a knife in that and if they question why you got it whats the rest of the gear in the box for 

Well tried phoning the tackle shop 30 miles away where my last Opinel came from to be to be told they no longer sell knives.  On line many firms wont post, lots of ,'sold outs' in number 7 size.  Managed to order one in the end Bob with a bright  fluro green handle, times they are a changing.    The average plastic handled knife is a poor specimen to me when compared with the Opinel blade on a number 7 which seem ideal  for breasting  pheasants and pigeon and filleting a modest cod or two.

Blackpowder

Might be of help, I bought 3 locking opinels and they live in cartridge bag, tackle box and glove box thus never 'on me' which could only be judged by the bloke in the white wig if it all goes wrong. . . . . .but at least I may have one leg to stand on

57 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

Might be of help, I bought 3 locking opinels and they live in cartridge bag, tackle box and glove box thus never 'on me' which could only be judged by the bloke in the white wig if it all goes wrong. . . . . .but at least I may have one leg to stand on

Sounds good,  will do the same next time I am in a shop which stocks them.

Blackpowder

On 15/05/2022 at 17:47, Acerforestry said:

Doubtless this has been discussed numerous times before, but if you follow UK knife law to the letter any "bushcraft" knife will potentially then land you in court. This is ludicrous, if someone is mad enough to want to stab someone a screwdriver, table knife or pointed stick can do as much damage, it just smacks of the increasing levels of control placed upon us by people who clearly are not thinking too much about the subject. If common sense can't be applied to context, (ie, a deer hunter with a fixed 6 inch blade as opposed to an 18 year old from Peckham with same thing), this country's laws are  more bonkers now than ever

Beg to differ, they clearly are thinking about the future status of the plebians?

Never enough CCTV? Etc?

Always removing freedoms?