Football penalties.

samboy

My dad thinks they're ridiculous and a stupid way to end a big tournament. But then he's also never come up with a solution that works. Playing until a goal is scored, no matter how many players actually die from exhaustion just doesn't seem like fun.

I love them. The absolute tension, unbearable pressure and the boiling down of football to its basic element: can you kick a ball into the goal, or can you stop the ball going in?

When the skills haven't split the teams, when the diving's failed and the cynical fouls have come to nothing, it all comes down to a game of bluff and bottle. Top one today and am pleased Liverpool won. Big save from Alisson to deny Mount

i hate it when a match ends that way.........i feel cheated........it should be golden goal.........trouble is the TV companies will vote against it as it could disrupt their scheduling...and god forbid we mustnt upset the TV media

6 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i hate it when a match ends that way.........i feel cheated........it should be golden goal.........trouble is the TV companies will vote against it as it could disrupt their scheduling...and god forbid we mustnt upset the TV media

They tried it for a few years. Honestly, it was rubbish. That extra half an hour for extra time with the golden goal was just awful to watch. No one committed to win, just in case they over committed and lost. 

17 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

They tried it for a few years. Honestly, it was rubbish. That extra half an hour for extra time with the golden goal was just awful to watch. No one committed to win, just in case they over committed and lost. 

i can go with that ..........but it still remains when you watch an even good match...then extra time....it just seems like a waste of time ...its just like 2 well matched armies fighting it out to a standstill.................then the future of the country is down to the 5 best shots with a cannon.🥴

15 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i can go with that ..........but it still remains when you watch an even good match...then extra time....it just seems like a waste of time ...its just like 2 well matched armies fighting it out to a standstill.................then the future of the country is down to the 5 best shots with a cannon.🥴

Yeah and I take your point. It's just that there doesn't seem to be a better way to end it. You need a winner, so how do you get there? Cricket had a similar problem in the World Cup Final in 2019. England Vs New Zealand. The match ended in a tie. The super over, used to split teams after a tied match, ended in a tie. So it was all left to the mathematicians, who counted back through the match and England were declared the winners by virtue of hitting more boundaries in the game. The outcry afterwards was so great that they ditched it after it.

They tried golden goal. It was rubbish. They tried silver goal. That was worse. Playing to a goal would be hated by managers and players as it's an injury-risk nightmare. Liverpool still have some massive matches coming up and wouldn't want to lose players to a never ending game.