Cherry Tree Advice.

walshie

After cutting down some monster leylandii over the last 2 weekends, we found a sorry looking cherry tree that had been growing behind them in among the scraggy willows.

It's about 50ft high but very skinny and has a bend in it where it has been trying to get some light. There are no branches lower down, but at the top there are 2 branches and seem to have a lot of blossom. I assume it has borne fruit in the past as there are a fair few cherry saplings growing around its base.

The willows are coming down shortly.

Now it has access to light, will it thicken out and grow lower branches on its own, does it need topping, pruning, or is it a lost cause?

Any advice much appreciated. 

IMG_20220516_115452212_S.jpg.2b5e096dc6b6b42ee719b565c00f8e1e.jpg

I wouldn't take anything off it. It might have been starved of light and growth, but it's also been protected from the elephants. Weakening it further by removing stuff could be fatal. I'd go with @ditchmanand give it nutrients at the base It will thicken over time and now the available light is from the other direction, should straighten out and give a more even canopy, which'll help with stability.

Certainly worth a go at saving

9 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

I wouldn't take anything off it. It might have been starved of light and growth, but it's also been protected from the elephants. Weakening it further by removing stuff could be fatal. I'd go with @ditchmanand give it nutrients at the base It will thicken over time and now the available light is from the other direction, should straighten out and give a more even canopy, which'll help with stability.

Certainly worth a go at saving

Elephants? In Wales!

Depends what your wanting from it ? Nothing fine just feed it and leave it . Fruit there going to be fifty foot up in the air your never going to be able to pick them might be better cutting it down and planting a new one on miniture root stock ?

3 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Quite a few cherry trees are grown for the flowering and not the fruit (which can be hard and sour).  My parents grew cherries, but the blackbirds nearly always beat them to the fruits!

agree........its **** law if the fruit are any good the birds will have them first..........leave the tree there...it will supply food for the wildlife anyway :good:

7 hours ago, ditchman said:

agree........its **** law if the fruit are any good the birds will have them first..........leave the tree there...it will supply food for the wildlife anyway :good:

I have two trees in my orchards and usually manage to get two three handfuls before the blackbirds devour the rest.     You could cut it off and seal the cut and then see if it threw any new shoots.  Don't know how cherry trees would react but certainly I have cut apples back severley and they have thrown new shoots/branches.

12 hours ago, ditchman said:

call me strange but i do like to see nice and neat and tidy...clear as you go..........nice pic :good:

Nothing strange about that. I can't abide working in a mess. It would be tidier than this by now, but rain stopped play yesterday. 

IMG_20220517_095309252_s.jpg.30c98f5e42593f5de88f828d58871b18.jpg

1 hour ago, walshie said:

Nothing strange about that. I can't abide working in a mess. It would be tidier than this by now, but rain stopped play yesterday. 

IMG_20220517_095309252_s.jpg.30c98f5e42593f5de88f828d58871b18.jpg

dont get rid of all the logs...keep a few and drill loads of 1/2" holes in them for bumble bee's to lay eggs in them...