Queen walking with a proper stick

Agriv8

Anybody else pick up on the queens choice of walking aid during visit to the jubilee line?

One of prince Philip’s I suspect!

just made me chuckle that seeing her with her Barbour and it you would not bat an eyelid. But posh frock in London it stood out.

well done HRH now go belt some of them politicians with it ! Preferably the horn spike 

In fact just spotted 3 of them lurking in that picture start  with them !

Agriv8

82036F9A-7314-4933-B25C-3FB601B69F76.png

Edited by Agriv8

She was pictured with a crook handle stick, similar length to the above, but what looked like to me a carved (animal head) horn crook handle.  The newspaper report in which the photo was included stated that it was a 'marble' handled stick that had been Prince Philips.  I would have thought marble would be too heavy, too cold and too brittle to make a stick handle and personally, I'm sure it was a horn handle.

Either way, both the crook and the above are nice sticks.

EDIT - 'claimed' marble handled one is in this article  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10820475/Queen-leaves-Prince-Philips-walking-stick-home-opts-staghorn-cane.html

The handle looks like a carved Scottish 'thistle' motif.

Edited by JohnfromUK

42 minutes ago, ditchman said:

taking it easy for a while has done her the world of good..:good:

I Thought the same Dichy - you got room in ur life for a wealthy widow ! 

belive she has a bottle or 2 of Red wine lying about !

Agriv8

23 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I commented on the stick to my good lady this morning.  It looked very out of place , yet raised the queen even higher in my estimation 👍.

Yes mine as well especially if it is Philip’s 

Agriv8

3 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

I Thought the same Dichy - you got room in ur life for a wealthy widow ! 

belive she has a bottle or 2 of Red wine lying about !

Believe it or not , our good friend Simon now live within a 8 bore range to the good lady's front garden , he could soon pop round and break open a bottle ,and her royal highness could sample his famous ginger wine , a match made in heaven :good:

22 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Believe it or not , our good friend Simon now live within a 8 bore range to the good lady's front garden , he could soon pop round and break open a bottle ,and her royal highness could sample his famous ginger wine , a match made in heaven :good:

already been ............why do you think she is so full of beans now..:ernyha:

im sick of bloody Dubbonett....foul stuff🤢

Despite what the press/TV report, I think that is the Queen’s own thumbstick. It would have been too short for Prince Phillip. A thumbstick should be about armpit height.

Good for her Majesty I say. 

OB

Good point old boggy almost sure it’s tapped one or two corgi a bums in the past .

She still needs to bring the muts behind her in the picture under control!

Agriv8

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Despite what the press/TV report, I think that is the Queen’s own thumbstick. It would have been too short for Prince Phillip. A thumbstick should be about armpit height.

Good for her Majesty I say. 

OB

for a 96 year old woman with that stick she looks quite chic..............i bet that alot of older people will start to follow her trend ..they are far safer and wont turn your wrist when transfering weight to the stick

No!  Well not creeping in - more like racing in. 

I will do some research later (I have a shelf of guide books) and I'm pretty sure it was Charlecote Park, but just might have been one of a few other places?  It was a quite modern collection - and some of the nicest I have seen anywhere.  I assume one of the recent past family members collected.  As far as I remember they were all by one maker.  They were in a billiard cue type rack at one end of a big room........ and I have a feeling that there was a picture in the guide book.

43 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Got there: it is a collection by Norman Tulip and on display at Alnwick Castle.  (Image from web)

alnwick castle interior | Norman Tulip Collection | Alnwick Castle |  Alnwick castle, Alnwick, Castles interior

Wow, that is a stunning collection. Many thanks John for finding and posting.

OB

17 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Wow, that is a stunning collection. Many thanks John for finding and posting.

OB

I think it is much better in real life - in that the pictures don't do them justice.  I knew I had seen them somewhere, and for some reason though it was Charlecote, but was definitely these as I now remember the name of Norman Tulip.   If you ever visit Alnwick Castle (which is very touristy due to it's Harry Potter connections), Hardy's (fishing tackle) have a good museum also in Alnwick, and there is a HUGE second hand bookshop in the old station buildings.  Overall - a nice place to visit.

Well that’s now on the list to visit John bit of a family favourite Alnwick and surrounding area ! 

I do like to see a stick being used but just like good art it’s lovely to appreciate a craftsman’s work/art

anyway we’ll done HRH   Turning this back to opening post it seems a lot of spotted the queens nod to her outdoor roots. 

Atb Agriv8

• 3 weeks later...

It seems that there is a story behind the stick HM was using on the balcony after the Trooping of the Colour. 

It was presented by the Chief of the General Staff and is "Handmade in mottled hazel and surmounted by a traditional herdwick ram’s horn, the stick was hand-delivered to the Queen’s equerry at Windsor Castle by General Sir Mark Carleton-Smith, the Chief of the General Staff."

The silver band reads;

"The Army presents its loyal support

The sovereign

Platinum Jubilee 

MCML 11 - MMXX 11"

It was made by a stickmaker called Dennis Wall.  The Army apparently collected 10 sticks to show - from which HM chose this one and it was then customised for her.

Full article (which may need a Telegraph sub) here https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2022/06/02/queens-walking-stick-trooping-colour-special-gift-army/?WT.mc_id=e_DM1565821&WT.tsrc=email&etype=Loy_Dig_Tri_200526_TopStories&utmsource=email&utm_medium=Loy_Dig_Tri_200526_TopStories20220604&utm_campaign=DM1565821

Edited by JohnfromUK