Westley Richards .410

One of the perks of a hobby working on gun cases is handling some of the guns. Just finished converting an old 16 bore leather violin style case for a Westley Richards .410 side x side what a sweet little and incredibly rare gun, the owner gave me permission to shoot it, it handles like a dream, very jealous! I tried to keep the case as original as possible so no total reline1805CAAA-86D3-48DF-85DE-E9F0813EF97B.jpeg.af5073b69b4787f123fada9f71ddeae5.jpeg

Edited by alan123shooting

14 minutes ago, alan123shooting said:

I do know that it was an absolute bargain at £350 

That is amazing value.  I have a non ejector AyA, bought new many years ago by my father, and I think it cost more than the equivalent of that then. 

One slight issue is the older English 0.410s are often quite short chambers (2 1/2") I believe.

Just now, London Best said:

I see things the other way around! 
2 1/2” are regular .410s and the 3” are magnums shooting almost a 20 bore load.

Personally, I completely agree.  Although my AyA is 3", I use 2 1/2" shooting 12 grammes (Eley Fourlong or equivalent) or 2" shooting 9 grammes (Eley Fourten or equivallent).  However - mine is only used for small vermin and within very modest range.

Those here who use 0.410 for normal game shooting I think use loads that need 3". 

2 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Personally, I completely agree.  Although my AyA is 3", I use 2 1/2" shooting 12 grammes (Eley Fourlong or equivalent) or 2" shooting 9 grammes (Eley Fourten or equivallent).  However - mine is only used for small vermin and within very modest range.

Those here who use 0.410 for normal game shooting I think use loads that need 3". 

I’ve shot a lot of pigeons, corvids, pheasants, partridge and duck (pre lead ban) with my 2 1/2 inch .410 A&N with 14 gram 7’s and I am always surprised at how effective it is for general shooting. 
Using a 3” is akin to using a 12 bore and always using 42 gram loads.

3 hours ago, London Best said:

I’ve shot a lot of pigeons, corvids, pheasants, partridge and duck (pre lead ban) with my 2 1/2 inch .410 A&N with 14 gram 7’s and I am always surprised at how effective it is for general shooting. 
Using a 3” is akin to using a 12 bore and always using 42 gram loads.

Yea! Like the .410 Zabala side by side that I bought that weighed over 6lbs! My late father's G E Lewis "Light Magnum" s/b/s 262 barrel boxlock ejector 20 bore with 2 3/4" chambers weighed less at 5lbs 12 ozs!

Edited by enfieldspares

44 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Yea! Like the .410 Zabala side by side that I bought that weighed over 6lbs! My late father's G E Lewis "Light Magnum" s/b/s 262 barrel boxlock ejector 20 bore with 2 3/4" chambers weighed less at 5lbs 12 ozs!

My two doubles weigh 4lb 1 1/2 oz and 4lb 2 1/2 oz.

8 minutes ago, London Best said:

My two doubles weigh 4lb 1 1/2 oz and 4lb 2 1/2 oz.

My AyA non-ej boxlock weighs 5 1/4 lbs, but it is a 'somewhat basic full size stocked' wood and finish, and is proof with 3" chambers for a rather large pressure (can't remember the figure off hand).  It handles nicely and doesn't feel 'cumbersome' at all.

8 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

My AyA non-ej boxlock weighs 5 1/4 lbs, but it is a 'somewhat basic full size stocked' wood and finish, and is proof with 3" chambers for a rather large pressure (can't remember the figure off hand).  It handles nicely and doesn't feel 'cumbersome' at all.

A friend has a nice 2 1/2 inch Belgian hammerless double which I bought for him from @Dunks on here. That weighs just 5lbs and handles beautifully.

Lovely gun. It has to be remembered that when that gun was made, it was probably for a younger person, possibly as a present. It would therefore have been fitted with a shorter stock. I have seen a lot of Westley's over the years and many had stock extensions, my own included, which was made in 1926.