Westley Richards .410

On 18/05/2022 at 20:28, WalkedUp said:

Good point. As most of us are over 6ft now the majority of old game guns are too short stocked for my generation. 

Plus, most people who are not used to shooting a SxS believe that they HAVE to hold the wood forend and that can have the effect of making the gun feel 'short'.

On 18/05/2022 at 08:08, London Best said:

I’ve shot a lot of pigeons, corvids, pheasants, partridge and duck (pre lead ban) with my 2 1/2 inch .410 A&N with 14 gram 7’s and I am always surprised at how effective it is for general shooting. 
Using a 3” is akin to using a 12 bore and always using 42 gram loads.

Put it in the pattern. The only difference with 410s in my view is choking.  In order to get a serious pattern then full choke is the way to go and out to 40yrds a full choke pattern of 7s out of a 2 1/2 inch case is not going to be appreciated by a partridge.  I shoot 3 inch all the time and yes, they are the equivalent of shooting a magnum load but that is on the label.   Way way way back in time I used to kill rabbits using a converted Parker Hale bolt action  and mainly shot 2 inch brass cased rounds. The choking on that gun was serious tight and I used it like a rifle more than a shotgun, stalking and shooting sitting targets.    I miss, the gun doesn't:yes: