Choke

Joe180

I’m waiting for a shoulder replacement(I’ve been given November/ December 22 for operation)so I’ve bought this 325 g5 20 bore sporter hopingi can throw this about better than my 81/2lb perazzi don’t think changing cartridges would have helped.

it is bored 1/2&3/4 ipatterned it over the the week end the 1/2 choke looked good but the 3/4 was all over the place so I thought about changing it for that reason and also for steel.

40 minutes ago, Joe180 said:

I’m waiting for a shoulder replacement(I’ve been given November/ December 22 for operation)so I’ve bought this 325 g5 20 bore sporter hopingi can throw this about better than my 81/2lb perazzi don’t think changing cartridges would have helped.

it is bored 1/2&3/4 ipatterned it over the the week end the 1/2 choke looked good but the 3/4 was all over the place so I thought about changing it for that reason and also for steel.

As said try some different cartridges my 20 gauge silver pigeon was awful with gamebore but fiocchi performed really well .

I now only use steel  reloads and it taken some time to get them right. 

I'd be very reluctant to have it bored. Finding the right person and the cost wouldn't be worth it. 

Edited by mellors
Spelling

12 minutes ago, Joe180 said:

All the big boys out there are advising not to use ANY STEEL shot through more than half choke.

I’ve no idea who the ‘big boys’ are but they’re talking ********! 
You can shoot standard steel through any choke in any nitro proved gun. 

9 hours ago, Joe180 said:

The stalking directory,shooting Uk, and GMK. Three big boys!

There’s no wonder there’s so much confusion when even big names such as those can’t even get it right! 
Official guidance is standard steel through ANY choke for a non-steel proofed gun. 

Having your choke opened up will take your gun out of proof anyhow, as far as I know, so why don’t you simply have it re-proofed for steel while you’re at it, and prove to yourself that there was no need all along! 🙂

The fact that ordinary shotguns are being sent for steel proofing ( even those from the 1970’s and 1980’s ) tells us that they’re obviously capable of handling it. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Scully

16 hours ago, Joe180 said:

The size of choke you need is decided by the kind of shooting you intend to do .The range you want to shoot at and yes the cartridge you want to use .

Back when Britain had a gun manufacturing base , guns  would be ordered to throw a set pattern at a set range with a set cartridge .Guns for the self would often have been sent out 3/4 & 1/2 ,allowing the dealer to bore out to customer requirement 

For general shooting I dont  see any one needing more than 1/4 & 1/2 and I've bored a lot of chokes 

On 18/05/2022 at 09:28, Joe180 said:

Hi guys is there  a gunsmith in my area that can bore my top barrel from 3/4 to 1/2 (20bore) I’m Doncaster s.yorks. Thanks.

Years back I bought my Miroku MK60 lightweight hunter 20 bore. It came with fixed chokes 1/4 & 3/4. Like you I thought of having the top barrel bored out so popped into see Nigel Teague. His professional advice was to have both barrels multichoked. It wasn’t a sales pitch. He said he would do whatever I wanted. As I recall his advice was based on having to set equipment up to bore one barrel he may as well bore both at the same time. Also, in doing one barrel it would have to be reproofed. So, again, better to do two barrels at the same time. And, multi chokes gave better choice than fixed chokes.

I multi choked and have always thought it the right decision for me. It may not be for you but I thought I would relate the experience to give you food for thought. (I still have the gun)

Edited by Bobba

4 minutes ago, Bobba said:

Years back I bought my Miroku MK60 lightweight hunter. It came with fixed chokes 1/4 & 3/4. Like you I thought of having the top barrel bored out so popped into see Nigel Teague. His professional advice was to have both barrels multichoked. It wasn’t a sales pitch. He said he would do whatever I wanted. As I recall his advice was based on having to set equipment up to bore one barrel he may as well bore both at the same time. Also, in doing one barrel it would have to be reproofed. So, again, better to do two barrels at the same time. And, multi chokes gave better choice than fixed chokes.

I multi choked and have always thought it the right decision for me. It may not be for you but I thought I would relate the experience to give you food for thought. (I still have the gun)

Not only all of the above, but it will also have added value to your gun. A multi Teagued gun always has increased appeal. 

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Having your choke opened up will take your gun out of proof anyhow, as far as I know

Normally - simply opening a fixed choke does not require reproof.  "Not only can opening up choke be a simple solution it does not require the gun to be re-proofed, an added bonus re time and cost."

The quote is the relevant part from this article - https://www.thefield.co.uk/shooting/adapting-old-guns-for-steel-44454

Multi choking DOES require reproof to remain 'in proof'.  However as far as I know all companies doing multi choking will include the reproof in the work.

3 hours ago, Scully said:

There’s no wonder there’s so much confusion when even big names such as those can’t even get it right! 
Official guidance is standard steel through ANY choke for a non-steel proofed gun. 

Having your choke opened up will take your gun out of proof anyhow, as far as I know, so why don’t you simply have it re-proofed for steel while you’re at it, and prove to yourself that there was no need all along! 🙂

The fact that ordinary shotguns are being sent for steel proofing ( even those from the 1970’s and 1980’s ) tells us that they’re obviously capable of handling it. 🤷‍♂️

You can't educate pork lol  (good common sense from Scully) 

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Normally - simply opening a fixed choke does not require reproof.  "Not only can opening up choke be a simple solution it does not require the gun to be re-proofed, an added bonus re time and cost."

The quote is the relevant part from this article - https://www.thefield.co.uk/shooting/adapting-old-guns-for-steel-44454

Multi choking DOES require reproof to remain 'in proof'.  However as far as I know all companies doing multi choking will include the reproof in the work.

If the OP has the choke opened up by Teague they will require it to be sent for reproof ( I’ve asked ) as their insurers insist on it. Other gunsmiths may not however, so he will have to enquire when he finds one. 

That’s all I wanted to find a gunsmith that could do it,so if the operation is a success,I will go back to shooting my perazzi bored 3/8&5/8 and use the 20bore to poke my wood burner 😁seriously thanks everybody for getting involved👍

On 19/05/2022 at 07:45, Scully said:

Just to expand on this:

Proof-mark-box-600x400-1-400x267.jpg

Standard steel shot will be smaller in shot size (pellets) than British number 3 (3.25mm) and may be used through any choke. For traditional light weight game guns the British Proof Authorities recommend no more than a quarter choke.

Source: https://basc.org.uk/lead/guide-to-using-non-lead-shot/

Real shame people are so into hearsay and "some bloke down the pub told me..."  Were I a suspicious type, I'd put this down to "old farts just like to moan" syndrome, but that would be uncharitable 😁