Gun Insurance

Scully

Here’s a thought.
How will steel shot effect gun insurance? 
Once the proposed ban comes into effect, could it be used as a ‘get out’ clause for ANY reason if it transpires the insured has been shooting steel through his non-steel shot proofed gun? 

Browning told me my two fixed choke Miroku High Pheasant (3/4 and full choke) Warranties would be invalid if i'd used steel in them and if i'd alter them in any way ie. multi choke them. Lucky the 12 bore ran out last year 20 bore in November this year i think

Surely it depends on the proof and the cartridge. If you are using a cartridge that is clearly marked as suitable for standard proof guns and your chokes are at, or less than, the maximum recommended there is no excuse for insurers to avoid paying out. So, if I am using Eley eco steel in a standard proof gun, as I do, I expect to be covered and happy to see them in court if they decline.

1 hour ago, Dave at kelton said:

Surely it depends on the proof and the cartridge. If you are using a cartridge that is clearly marked as suitable for standard proof guns and your chokes are at, or less than, the maximum recommended there is no excuse for insurers to avoid paying out. So, if I am using Eley eco steel in a standard proof gun, as I do, I expect to be covered and happy to see them in court if they decline.

Fair enough, makes sense. Time will tell I expect. 

1 hour ago, 8 shot said:

Browning told me my two fixed choke Miroku High Pheasant (3/4 and full choke) Warranties would be invalid if i'd used steel in them and if i'd alter them in any way ie. multi choke them. Lucky the 12 bore ran out last year 20 bore in November this year i think

Nephew bought a Crown from a very well known Northern dealer prior to lockdown. It was secondhand but still in warranty and had done very little.

It is still tight to open but out of warranty now. He enquired of them recently how much to have it proofed for steel and they quoted him a totally outrageous figure. He has enquired elsewhere for having it Teagued and reproofing this time for steel, and was given a figure three hundred pounds cheaper! Someone is taking the pee! 

19 minutes ago, 8 shot said:

I paid direct, plus shipping one way which was £30. It is alot of money though but does secure it resale value. They are very good guns

I’ve found them good to deal with, and told nephew to get in touch direct. 👍

Re insurance, I do wonder about ring bulges near the muzzle.   Perhaps not a safety issue in the case of a fixed-choke single barrel gun, but what about a double?   Would ring bulging in one of the barrels be likely to affect the other barrel and/or their attachment to the ribs?   Perhaps one of the gunsmiths on PW can advise.

And what about multi-chokes?   If the threaded portion of the barrel becomes bulged, the chokes will certainly be looser.   Is there a risk that loosely-fitting chokes might then be blown out of the barrel?

Also, what would happen if the shotgun was subsequently involved in an accident totally un-related to the bulge?   An expert examining it would be bound to report that the shooter had been using a gun with damaged barrels.   Lawyers and insurers will jump on anything that could be construed as careless or reckless behaviour, and the FEO might also take note.

Any answers?