TV aid ads.

samboy

Hi gang.

On the tv every day and night there are charities asking for money. The way prices have risen here do they really think

we are going to give our hard earned money away. Not me for one.  Moan over.

It would seem the lot of some hasn’t changed much since I was a kid; still seeing the same forlorn faces and poverty, and the same charities asking for still more money. 
OH thought we should donate to a local aid raiser at the start of the Ukraine appeal ( he asked if I would drive one of their vans to Poland last Monday! ) but that’s it now, we won’t be giving again. 
As unfortunate and as despicable as many things are, there are just as many deserving causes closer to home. 

For me it depends on the charity. I support cancer charities, particularly MacMillan, and RNLI. Was talking to MacMillan at the show and they have lost £100 plus million due to covid. The wife has missed holding her last few coffee mornings where she usually gets over three hundred pounds plus so I can see where the figure comes from. You can only support so many and for me it stays at home sorry and all that.

I see it as my duty as a decent human being , to try to help other decent human beings if a can . It might be financial help , physical help , or just moral support.  I'll admit that I wouldn't starve my kids to feed a stranger , but I'd still do my best to help if I could. I hope that financially,  things don't get too desperate, and that I can still help in a small way.

I support a national cancer charity , and several smaller local charities , but I stopped my direct debit to RNLI when it became a taxi service for illegal immigrants. 

Before I donate to any charities I look on Wiki so see what their CEO takes as a salary, that normally means my money stays in my pocket when you see some of the numbers these people take. How can a charity CEO earn more than the PM ? 

44 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I support a national cancer charity , and several smaller local charities , but I stopped my direct debit to RNLI when it became a taxi service for illegal immigrants. 

I have supported the RNLI all my life but last week in Anglesey I walked past a collecting box for the first time ever because of their support for illegal immigrants.

I don't understand why they specify an amount. I saw one the other night for £27. If I had a spare £20 I wanted to give to charity and saw this, would I try to find the extra £7 or just give my £20 to another charity instead? Surely £20 is better than £0.

4 minutes ago, walshie said:

I don't understand why they specify an amount. I saw one the other night for £27. If I had a spare £20 I wanted to give to charity and saw this, would I try to find the extra £7 or just give my £20 to another charity instead? Surely £20 is better than £0.

Your are spot on Walshie a charity is or  was supposed to be what you can afford to donate.  Not to specify the amount they would probably get more if you could just donate what you can afford 

Muslims will traditionally gift 10 % of income as a matter of course to those less fortunate.

10 hours ago, mel b3 said:

I see it as my duty as a decent human being , to try to help other decent human beings if a can . It might be financial help , physical help , or just moral support.  I'll admit that I wouldn't starve my kids to feed a stranger , but I'd still do my best to help if I could. I hope that financially,  things don't get too desperate, and that I can still help in a small way.

^^^^ This.

RNLI is on my list ( i have a boat) and want them to be well provided for. 

I try to give using gift aid to get the tax benefit too.

11 hours ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

On the tv every day and night there are charities asking for money. The way prices have risen here do they really think

we are going to give our hard earned money away. Not me for one.  Moan over.

??? I am sure we all give money away in one form or another even if its only to our children, friends and relatives.  Do unto others as you would be done by or whatever the words are 😁

3 hours ago, walshie said:

If the big bucks CEOs are worth their salt they will have a team of market researchers testing different "offers" to see which one generates the most revenue.

I seem to recall from reading up on sales and marketing years ago that the number 7 is believed in some circles to have a psychological super power when it comes to persuading people to open their wallets. 

5 hours ago, oowee said:

Muslims will traditionally gift 10 % of income as a matter of course to those less fortunate.

That's about what I aim for .

Plenty of people have helped me along in life,  in many different ways  , and I feel a duty to help others wherever I can.

RNLI is on my list ( i have a boat) and want them to be well provided for. 

RNLI has been on my list for many years  to be honest , but events over the last couple of years have really changed my mind . I thought long and hard before stopping the monthly payment , and I still don't feel comfortable about stopping it , but it was the only way that I could protest.

😁

3 hours ago, serrac said:

If the big bucks CEOs are worth their salt they will have a team of market researchers testing different "offers" to see which one generates the most revenue.

I seem to recall from reading up on sales and marketing years ago that the number 7 is believed in some circles to have a psychological super power when it comes to persuading people to open their wallets. 

Know a lady she raised £50.000 took it directly  to CR thinking there may be a photo to show her helpers

a hand came out the door snatched it     thanks    door shut         car park full of top of range  Mercs and BMWs

They use £27 as an opener ( you are correct about the number 7 ) they anticipate you upping it to £30

Cancer Research CEO had a base salary of £237,000 in 2020! Absolute disgrace

my spare change goes to Air Ambulance, RNLI and St Catherine's Hospice

It needs 23,700 people to give CRUK a tenner each to pay the boss's wages!!

Edited by Diver One